AC Modding Questions Thread

Why does this skin have green and purple compression artifacts all over it? Other 360 skins don't have them. Skin is 4096x4096 DXT5, white alpha except rear grille, default reflection map, base color is just plain almost black.

Attachments

• __custom_showroom_1565173212.png
    __custom_showroom_1565173212.png
    636.3 KB · Views: 168
  • __custom_showroom_1565173221.png
    __custom_showroom_1565173221.png
    1,000.5 KB · Views: 169
Could you be a bit more specific? Like, what is it exactly about rushing that causes that to happen? I would like to know the exact cause so I can fix it. For the record it was no more rushed than my other skins which do not have that problem

Its just DXT compression, very prevalent on darker greys - banding becomes very noticeable.

Where possible, I'd endeavour to avoid them completely and use the detail texture for any large areas of grey to avoid those compression artefacts.

RSS Ferruccio 36 does not have a detail texture for body color, unlike Kunos cars. So not an option. Also it only happens with this one skin and not other dark colored ones.

The marks do appear on the .dds, I just checked. Faint but visible. That's a start I guess? They do not appear on .psd, so can fix it by chaning DXT settings or something?

Attachments

• gdsgds.png
    gdsgds.png
    104.8 KB · Views: 162
  • gdsgds.png
    gdsgds.png
    45.6 KB · Views: 168
Last edited:
You could try putting non compressed txmap texture on it. Either way the banding comes from either the skin or the txmap being compressed which creates banding effect in some situations.

I tried putting a 4K txmap on it (default is 512x512), it has no effect whatsoever on the artifacts. The problem is in Skin_00.dds.

I tried first exporting it to 32-bit .tga (tried with and without compression) and then exporting it to .dds, as suggested by chrisi2174, end result was exactly the same.

As i said, its typical dxt compression. Go uncompressed if its that much of an issue for you (assuming you have the source file, just re-saving a compressed file again in another format wont help)

Typical DXT compression that does not appear in other skins for this car, for example another black skin that is also 4K DXT5, and has not happened to this extent in other skins I made. And I have the source file, I made it. Not too fond of going uncompressed for obvious reasons. Guess there is just no fixing this one

Hey guys, can somebody give me some tips about AI please? How can I make the AI faster in a specific car? I fiddled with some values in the ai.ini file, but I would like to understand more about the subject. Thanks!

Latest News

Back