2020 Virtual 24 Hours of Le Mans (Live Stream)

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Welcome to the central discussion thread for the first ever official 24 Hours of Le Mans - virtual edition.

This weekend marks an historic moment for the genre of sim racing, as the WEC, Automobile Club de l'Ouest and Motorsport Games are set to host what could well turn out to be the largest organised virtual race in history - the Le Mans 24 Hours Virtual.

Held as an officially sanctioned event in place of what would have been the real Le Mans 24 Hours this weekend, the race features an incredible selection of official teams, manufacturers and drivers. Two Formula 1 World Champions, three Indy 500 victors and seven outright Le Mans 24 Hour winners join together with some of the finest rFactor 2 sim racers racing side by side with their real world contemporaries .

Held at the beautiful Le Mans circuit in rFactor 2, and making use of the LMP2 and GTE content within the simulation, the race is set to become a high watermark for the increasingly popular esport movement we are experiencing at present.

You can catch all the action live here:

Well, it's very much possible to run an event in rF2 without server restarts, RDLMS and the VEC (or what it is called) are the proof of that.

And iRacing have had their fair share of issues.

Every single race I’ve been in with rF2 has had issues.
iRacing has not had issues for more than a year now with their main events. And, you can’t exactly compare rF2 trying to run one measly endurance, (probably the biggest event of their life) with a 50 car field to iRacing that have hundreds of teams with thousands of drivers in 13+ splits... all at the same time. Sorry, that’s just unreasonable to try and compare.

Nicki Thiim is saying it wasn't a server crash but teams having problems with driver change, not sure if the program was even at fault. He also calls it "pure driving pleasure" compared to iRacing. :sneaky:
In what way could multiple teams have driver change problems and it not being rF2 software related? Do you think all teams have similar hardware issues in different parts of the world?
Nicki Thiim also claimed that rf2 would be the quickest uninstall in sim racing history.

In what way could multiple teams have driver change problems and it not being rF2 software related? Do you think all teams have similar hardware issues in different parts of the world?
Nicki Thiim also claimed that rf2 would be the quickest uninstall in sim racing history.

Well first of all I think this is more about Nicki not liking iRacing apart from the online capabilities (by the way, no one is arguing that they are not superior).

And rF2 is neither that popular nor easy to use, I have never changed drivers and maybe some of the teams messed things up, not sure - but my point is, they managed it, the restart was not as long as some SC episodes during the real event and they filled the time pretty well I thought - I could have done without the concert afterwards, not my kind of music :D

• Deleted member 217114

I actually find the race a bit way too clean. No drivers retired. (Other than Alonso before the reset) I hoped for more crashes, spins, yellows, safety car. In real life there should be like 6-8 retired teams by now.

Edit: Perhaps the lack of retirements is because there's ''more'' mechanical failures in real life. Other than Max's freeze there's and that rig swap of a guy there's no hardware failure either. For me it's too clean compared to real life. Hopefully around 2025/2030 racesims are much better for endurance races.

Edit2: In real life when something is wrong they go pits and hope they can fix it. This is missing currently. It adds some tension for the viewer.

Last edited by a moderator:
I been following on/off last few hours and imo its real shame.

This was huge moment for racing esports to have these kinds of names and coverage and its not delivering.

Server issues and ping have ruined tons of cars already.

It makes you think that games that decide to do this must also be taking risk.

If someone like Max calls your game shiit than you going to lose sales.

This was huge moment for racing esports to have these kinds of names and coverage and its not delivering.

You make it sound like it is half the field getting their race ruined. I found it to be surprisingly well done and covered and the amount of accidents is pretty comparable to the real deal. Watched the whole thing until now.

There is 12 hours left.

You think it will run smooth till finish?

Not a chance.

And? who cares if it doesnt its the first race of this scale properly run on rFactor 2. So far its been brilliant to watch and also brilliant to hear how enthusiastic Martin Haven is getting about rFactor 2. Thats how these games are meant to make people feel. People will be watching this today unaware that rFactor2 even existed which will in turn increase sales.

Just think they could have opted to use forza7 but they didnt or been sheep and used the boring clinical rubbish that iRacing put out but no they've put their faith in rFactor and S397 and it will hopefully be a gateway to it becoming the sim it should have always been.

There are a lot things, that are not software related, you can do wrong at the driverswap, if you don´t have practice in it, to early ESC, wrong order in the driverswapworkflow and so on, so maybe the FCY/Red Flag was goodwill by VEC and rF2, to help the drivers, that maybe made mistakes at the swap?

I think, there are less errors/crashes/spins by the drivers, because the WEC forced s387 to acivate ABS global on the server for all cars. Without ABS, i think there would´ve been more carnage, but me personal, does not need crashes and things like that, if there is tight, action packes racing, ;)

• Deleted member 217114

There are a lot things, that are not software related, you can do wrong at the driverswap, if you don´t have practice in it, to early ESC, wrong order in the driverswapworkflow and so on, so maybe the FCY/Red Flag was goodwill by VEC and rF2, to help the drivers, that maybe made mistakes at the swap?

I think, there are less errors/crashes/spins by the drivers, because the WEC forced s387 to acivate ABS global on the server for all cars. Without ABS, i think there would´ve been more carnage, but me personal, does not need crashes and things like that, if there is tight, action packes racing, ;)

I miss the pits, crew and other stuff as well. We will see were simracing/Endurace will be in 2025. Overally simracig does capture real racing but it's not there yet for endurance. It's missing lots of variables

There is 12 hours left.

You think it will run smooth till finish?

Not a chance.

Gio/Lec Ferrari had a fancy one. And there's been two(?) LMP cars that have had some sort of slowdown/freeze issue.
However, how much of this have been down to server issues? In the rF2 club here, when there are slowndown/freeze, that tends to be one single driver, which points more to an issue for that particular driver, not the server.
Ping will of course be a bit higher if you are based far away from the server (just like when Norris joined the Indy racing on iRacing).

Verstappen calling it poop, will not give sales-boost. But then again, it's Verstappen, what do you expect him so say whatever the issue is?

And I see no reason why it shouldn't run smooth until the finish. If others can do it on rF2, why can't Studio 397 do it themselves?

Latest News

What is your next sim related purchase

• DLC

Votes: 122 27.5%
  • Full game

Votes: 103 23.3%
  • CPU

Votes: 55 12.4%
  • Graphics card

Votes: 81 18.3%
  • Other PC related hardware

Votes: 50 11.3%