Worried about AMS2

I purchased AMS2 two days ago. So far I am enjoying this sim, however, I am concerned about its acceptance. I am a terrible sim racer. I enjoy it, but I am not a natural. With that said, I actually hold some of the quickest times on the leader boards. What this tells me is that there isn't very many people racing this game. At least that are being recorded in the Time Trials.

If this sim is not adopted could this put Reiza in financial trouble, and in turn cause this game to be unsupported? Or is it common for racing sims to start off slow and pick up steam?

Last edited:
I feel many put AMS2 on some imaginary pedestal thinking players were gonna drop everything and flock to it.
AMS was an excellent game and I have no doubt AMS2 will eventually get there too.
The fact is, the current content is not gonna excite many except Brazilians and those that played AMS....which had the lowest player counts of all the sims even tho many claimed it as one the greatest sims.

I found this statement from Renato on the Reiza forms and thought I'd leave it hear.

Renato:

Before digging into some of the feedback about AMS2 release, a little flashback that seems relevant now as not everyone will recall or have been around then, but the release of AMS1 actually attracted a similar number of complaints and lukewarm reception from a segment of the sim racing community - including similar concerns about sales, player count and other figures, and how the sim may have been "dead on arrival".. Contrary to these early doom and gloom predictions, the game kept growing and evolving much as we planned, before becoming the simracing cult classic which most of those who stuck with it or revisited later seems to look back fondly now, and that reached its peak players a massive 4 years after its initial release. You should not be surprised then if history repeats itself with AMS2.

While the fact that history may be repeating itself to some degree is not surprising to us or to those who are familiar with our modus operandi, it probably also indicates we need to improve the way we communicate about what type of game we are doing and how we are going about its development, so that people have more accurate expectations going in - this is something we are already working on improving, with more relevant info concentrated in the soon-to-be launched official website, including more documentation on the contents of the game, its long term plans and instructions on how to get the best out of it.

People who are familiar with my presence in this and other forums and through our monthly dev updates will be aware that I try to be as communicative as I´m able - I ´ve been on the other side of the counter for about as long as I have been a developer, so I´m well aware of expectations before the release of a new sim and the frustrations when something doesn´t quite work as expected, so I try not to BS users when I feel we may have dropped the ball. I´m also very aware of the challenges in putting together these products as independent developers, so I feel its important users have that under perspective too if we are to achieve the common goal of having the sim be as good as it can possibly be.

On that first aspect, we would be the first to aknowledge V1 had a number of QA issues that should really not have slipped into release, and it may well be that in hindsight we will conclude that planning for a longer Early Access period would have been the best all around approach. As it was, we had commited to a schedule which for a variety of reasons we had to keep to, and that lead to a release that due to another set of circunstances had some shortcomings it really should not have - those we are commited to and confortable we can fix in short order, and aware we will receive some deserved criticism until we do - ultimately, the game is still going to get better, faster by having followed this schedule, and that I believe is also part of that shared common goal.

Then there is this different subset of criticism which claim for a number of improvements, additions and fixes that different users will attribute varying level of importance to, which most (including ourselves) would eventually like to see but that were never going to make it, nor were suggested for this release. That is the nature of a long term project, which we have tried to emphasize is what AMS2 is since its original announcement. We are concious of the product we are putting out now, confortable with the fact that it will not appeal to everyone, and that it will require more development to be more competitive for other types of users.

As an user you have the option to buy it and enjoy it for what it offers at this or any other given point in its development cycle, return it if you feel it doesn’t quite offer what you want, buy again when you feel it may have evolved to the point you consider it satisfactory - there is plenty of recourse here for those who feel really strongly about where they spend their hard earned money, but they also bare some of the responsibility to learn what it is they are buying into.

Ultimately I´d invite every fellow sim racer to try gather a little perspective and recognize the games they are looking to see realized are very big, complex projects being put together by small studios, who are competing in a fairly crowded marketplace for what is a very small niche of the gaming world. No one is going to fund these products because there is no big ROI to be had here, if you want to see small independent studios like ourselves continue to strive for it then a certain amount of patience to play the long game with us is in order.

If you can give us that, I´ll assure you we´ll continue to push hard and try our best not to stretch that patience beyond its reasonable threshold, and eventually pay it back with a sim most people are fully satisfied with
:)

claimed it as one the greatest sims
As you wrote, their is a small group of people who makes claim upon this sim and other sim being so superior to every thing else, but the vast majority ignore those titles. I think it makes them feel good that they would be part of an Illuminati group while the majority are just ignorant. The reality is that a few titles are one trick pony but are lame as a whole experience. I don’t even think that those pretending those title are so great drive them that often any way.

before becoming the simracing cult classic
This comment from the developer of this game about AMS is hilarious to me, cult classic nothing less. To a very small group of Illuminati, maybe, the majority of SIM player never even drove it.

reached its peak players a massive 4 years after its initial release. You should not be surprised then if history repeats itself with AMS2.

AMS peak players number is what other popular SIM do at launch, that it took 4 years should be a concern, not something to be proud of. I definitely hope for Reiza it will not repeat itself for the sequel.

I am enjoying AMS2 for what it is, hope it will improve. Like many other the abissmal low level of players at the moment and the growth trend being so flat is a concern.

As you wrote, their is a small group of people who makes claim upon this sim and other sim being so superior to every thing else, but the vast majority ignore those titles. I think it makes them feel good that they would be part of an Illuminati group while the majority are just ignorant. The reality is that a few titles are one trick pony but are lame as a whole experience. I don’t even think that those pretending those title are so great drive them that often any way.

This comment from the developer of this game about AMS is hilarious to me, cult classic nothing less. To a very small group of Illuminati, maybe, the majority of SIM player never even drove it.

AMS peak players number is what other popular SIM do at launch, that it took 4 years should be a concern, not something to be proud of. I definitely hope for Reiza it will not repeat itself for the sequel.

I am enjoying AMS2 for what it is, hope it will improve. Like many other the abissmal low level of players at the moment and the growth trend being so flat is a concern.

Is the chart Steam provides for online racing only, or does it include those who are playing single player?

Is the chart Steam provides for online racing only, or does it include those who are playing single player?

Steam chart show all players at any given point in time, as soon as you launch the game. It is not an absolute number, since if Steam is offline, you can still play a game without being accounted, but it is a valid comparison tool. It will show if a game has 50 times more players than an other game.

Steam chart show all players at any given point in time, as soon as you launch the game. It is not an absolute number, since if Steam is offline, you can still play a game without being accounted, but it is a valid comparison tool. It will show if a game has 50 times more players than an other game.

I wonder if there is a way for us to push this game a little more. I am the first to admit the game is unfinished with a plethora of problems, but with PC3 going the way of arcade, and AMS2 not getting much love, I am worried we will start seeing the end of the true racing sim. I am probably over reacting, but developers typically go where the money is.

Sadly, it's only got worse since your post last week. There seems to have been a steady decline in players since the beginning of July with the numbers peaking at less than 250 in the past few days. Really disappointing! It's difficult to know what the future holds for the title if numbers don't improve significantly.

I think a point is car content, or content in general, however in my book biggest point is modding, adding self made cars And tracks, Assetto Corsa allows to add mod cars

so does ams1, i can imagen, guys who run leagues want to race f1 mods or whatsoever..

I think a point is car content, or content in general, however in my book biggest point is modding, adding self made cars And tracks, Assetto Corsa allows to add mod cars

so does ams1, i can imagen, guys who run leagues want to race f1 mods or whatsoever..

I‘m not so sure that it’s the lack of modding that’s holding it back. ACC doesn’t allow modding and has more limited content but still manages more than ten times the number of players that AMS2 has at present. I’m not suggesting that AMS2 should be getting those numbers as a new sim, but I would have expected it to be getting similar numbers to the original Automobilista.

Since that´s my quote, I might as well clarify that nothing in what I wrote contradicts what you said :p The fact that AMS1 was a small game is pretty much implied. Fact remains it was a sim that kept growing and had its peak player number (however small you consider it to be) well into its release, and its user base generally pretty satisfied with the game they got, both realities we are confident projecting for AMS2. The fact we could develop AMS1 for so long with a relatively small player base should only add credence to that.

Obviously with AMS2 we are hoping to achieve a much higher ceiling, but the fact that it isn´t there yet is hardly unexpected, at least to us. That is not a sign of conformity, only a realization that it takes time for a sim to evolve and build a community around it, much as it did to pretty much all other sims out there.

Obviously with AMS2 we are hoping to achieve a much higher ceiling, but the fact that it isn´t there yet is hardly unexpected, at least to us. That is not a sign of conformity, only a realization that it takes time for a sim to evolve and build a community around it, much as it did to pretty much all other sims out there.

Thank you for the clarifications and to get involve with the "community".
You do not seem to be affected by how much are playing AMS2 at present and in it's present state, so why should we?

As a very satisfied player, in it present state, I find this reassuring and believe it indicate that everything is working according to the plan. Of course, the faster the game player base build, the better, but, as mentioned, it will take the time it needs to and I will, happily, be on for the ride and wish for myself and all other interested that it builds into something phenomenal.

Thank you for all your work and efforts in bringing us a better SIM experience. :)

I like many other only really play the Beta version and that doesn't show in the numbers. I wonder how many actually do only play the beta like me?
I did this in AMS1, I never even installed the normal version of the game until development had officially wrapped up because it was much quite cumbersome to copy settings between the versions. As both AMS2 versions use the same profile, I only play beta if there is something new - as long as the two versions are on par I use the normal one, mainly for time trials.

Thank you for the clarifications and to get involve with the "community".
You do not seem to be affected by how much are playing AMS2 at present and in it's present state, so why should we?

As a very satisfied player, in it present state, I find this reassuring and believe it indicate that everything is working according to the plan. Of course, the faster the game player base build, the better, but, as mentioned, it will take the time it needs to and I will, happily, be on for the ride and wish for myself and all other interested that it builds into something phenomenal.

Thank you for all your work and efforts in bringing us a better SIM experience. :)

Although I see many shortcomings with the current version of AMS2 (Software crashes, physics and tire models on some cars, etc.), I have been pushing it hard on my end. I really want it to succeed, and look forward to the future of this title. There is just such mixed views on the game. Some think it is the end all of sims in its current state, and others can't see past its initial release issues. I think we will see others start to migrate to AMS2 as the issues start getting resolved, and the game receives more polish.

Although I see many shortcomings with the current version of AMS2 (Software crashes, physics and tire models on some cars, etc.), I have been pushing it hard on my end. I really want it to succeed, and look forward to the future of this title. There is just such mixed views on the game. Some think it is the end all of sims in its current state, and others can't see past its initial release issues. I think we will see others start to migrate to AMS2 as the issues start getting resolved, and the game receives more polish.

If Renato is not worried, I am not worried, he has a much better perspective on the whole situation than I will ever have.
Choosing the SMS engine is a blessing and a curse, it gives you instant access to all familiar to the engine, with all the good on the graphics, weather, vr, etc... but the curse is that some non addressed issues from PCars2 and inconsistency on some content will also create doubt and fear. As Reiza brings the SMS engine to a better light, and more user start enjoying AMS2, all should fall in place.
The zealots that are praising any SIM as if it was the return of Christ, are doing more harm than good, as nothing can match their feverish dreams.
AMS2, will not be the answer to all, the SIM engine that would allow for that has probably not even been started to work on yet.
Maybe one day, meanwhile, we will play what we like in the different SIM we have access to. We are just so lucky their are so many choices and options.

I would be interested to know from Renato and other studio bosses where they see sims in 10 years and on

For one I never understood the logic of keeping multiple engines this last decade let alone the next

Thinking of so many upsides boggles my mind while at same time I honestly can't think of a downside

Can you ? :barefoot:

I like many other only really play the Beta version and that doesn't show in the numbers. I wonder how many actually do only play the beta like me?

New players, which is what the game really needs, can only play the Steam version. Unless there are significantly more backers exclusively playing the beta rather than the Steam version, the numbers don’t look good.

Latest News

What is your next sim related purchase

• DLC

Votes: 208 24.9%
  • Full game

Votes: 206 24.6%
  • CPU

Votes: 94 11.2%
  • Graphics card

Votes: 147 17.6%
  • Other PC related hardware

Votes: 93 11.1%