The "What Are You Working On?" Thread

I'm working on some private stuff where I have to do the whole solemnly follow references exactly thing, and I can't post it, so I decided to do, for fun, a quick little excursion.

fuCH8wZ.jpg

I've said on some of my previous mods to set your expectations low but this time I'm sending that message times 10. This is not going to look as nice as the WRX. Or the Value Van. Or F350. I am getting back to my roots and making a sincere attempt to recapture the level of "don't care, just build it in a weekend" that produced the Reliant Robin. To assist this effort, I will not be seeking out further references (I have 23 photos) and I will not be using advanced image editing tools. The bulk of texture work will be done in Microsoft Paint, with an assist from GIMP on the unavoidable parts (transparency, mixing in AO).

Bit more work done, by this point it should be a pretty easy guess which trim level/bodystyle I'm going for.
fiGEaOu.jpg

Clearly a facelift US spec E46 sedan. I look at this car everyday so for me a tiny shot of the front bumper to wheel arch transition would have sufficed to identify it :roflmao: Love your dirty 'don't care just build it' one weekend approach and can't wait for M O A R.

pMiCQiG.jpg

Legitimately pleased with how the brake texture turned out. Front end didn't go so well first try. So this is after some adjustments.

3pDZZ6U.jpg

Getting the turn signal in place kinda reduces the widebody visual effect it had before, making it look too much like an M3.

I think that then there would be too many models to make physics to. There arent a lot of AC physics modders as modelers. IMO physics modders would be overwhelmed. But maybe then some people would be motivated by less waiting for 3d models.
Most modders really like the car they are making and they want to honour it as best as they can, or some make mods for money so they need justify the price. Also modders are humans not factories.
Still, it would be fun to see a more mods, even if they have like 100k not 300k polies, good physics and dedication for updates.

I think that then there would be too many models to make physics to. There arent a lot of AC physics modders as modelers. IMO physics modders would be overwhelmed. But maybe then some people would be motivated by less waiting for 3d models.
Most modders really like the car they are making and they want to honour it as best as they can, or some make mods for money so they need justify the price. Also modders are humans not factories.
Still, it would be fun to see a more mods, even if they have like 100k not 300k polies, good physics and dedication for updates.
Yeah, pretty much. I can **** out a car in a day if need be, and make it somewhat good in two or three days if quickly available data permits, but there's a reason why all my RD cars are half year/year long projects which aren't yet even "finished". It's absurd to expect that level of research and implementation if a new car pops up every week.

It's a bit different for some cars, I've sometimes found a hobbyist page for some of the more popular low-end race series which have almost everything on paper data wise, and some more in the official specs for the series.

A lot of the cars which people like are something you need to really fight to find the data for, and often have some annoying rear suspension layout which needs some interpretation. So basically every roadcar ever. :roflmao:

Personally I think it'd be a good idea if people modeled cars which have physics and sounds mostly done for them already, but you can't really force someone to model for free something they don't want to. All of the nice cars we have in AC to now which have a good model, physics and some even sound are just coincidence, basically miracles.

I think the amount of people doing certain task is proportional to amount of people who appreciate those qualities very much.

So most people focus on visual appearance of a car, less people focus on handling of a car, and least people focus on the sounds.

I would suggest kind of "low poly" mods as "physics preview" mods. Though some of more advanced physics makers would probably want to come up with high quality model. It depends on individuals. By download numbers you would also see how many people actually truly hold interest in physics.

There was one modder who held really high standard for his project, redoing whole models for slight tiny inaccuracies, which of course didn't materialize. It is just unproductive to chew more than you can.

There was one modder who held really high standard for his project, redoing whole models for slight tiny inaccuracies, which of course didn't materialize. It is just unproductive to chew more than you can.

Running a business, sure... Personal projects? The modder doesn't have to finish anything, IMO

I got tons of track layouts I've started, stopped, put on hold, for whatever reason. Could probably do a "1 week" very basic looking track on accurate data, but won't happen because I need to enjoy doing it, and not just to please a community.

Personally I think it'd be a good idea if people modeled cars which have physics and sounds mostly done for them already, but you can't really force someone to model for free something they don't want to. All of the nice cars we have in AC to now which have a good model, physics and some even sound are just coincidence, basically miracles.
And thats the reason why we have many pack mods. And I absolutely like that way. Its awesome to experience all those variants, and most of the time all variants are interesting enough. It is also so much easier to make similar cars (different trims, engines, facelifts, special editions, stock/race/tuner) than totally different cars. But I also doubt that some modders would allow their hard made mod (model, physics etc from scratch) to be edited by someone else that easily just to make a variant.
I don't know if its even allowed to use and modify physics of Kunos cars. For example if someone would scratch model M3 E30 Convertible, should physics be made without peeking at Kunos M3 physics?

Would be harder if the AC lighting was also blue, but somehow it didn't register at first. Fix that and make the wheel shadow better and no one can tell. I'm pretty sure we'll achieve that soon. :roflmao:

Latest News

What is your next sim related purchase

• DLC

Votes: 166 25.5%
  • Full game

Votes: 162 24.9%
  • CPU

Votes: 78 12.0%
  • Graphics card

Votes: 119 18.3%
  • Other PC related hardware

Votes: 72 11.1%