Post Pictures thread (Part 3)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys, backing to racer, and what about doing a new section for screenshots? Everybody may agree with me, 160 pages are a bit too hard to find anything.

Well, about game, backing with 2.7L V6 DOHC TwinTurbo 265hp@5800rpm Quattro 01'

screenshot124copy.jpg

screenshot125copy-1.jpg

screenshot126copy-1.jpg

Bonus: Raphael's MR-S

screenshot119copy.jpg

Hehe, when you're cold or when you get a creepy feeling (someone walking on your grave as they say) and you shake - that would be a shudder :tongue:

And damn, good luck lol!

THX at some places i'm at ~20fps with full grafiks POWER!
....resolution 1920x1080, full screen, visibility 1500m, max_anisotropy=16, live_track=1, render_once=0.....every thing else at default..... ^^

EDIT: will see what i get with rednder once^^
EDIT1: ok that gives a + from ~10fps.....^^
EDIT2: hmm...reduce the visibility to 1000m gives a + from ~10 fps...so i'm at ~40fps^^....i think it works^^

Talking about rF conversions, Targa Florio was released, if somebody wants to convert it... ^^

I heard about that too. Isn't it 70km or so :D

Would be great to convert... but rather time consuming. I might take a look towards Christmas. It'd be good to try atlas up a load of textures though, and re-work the UVW mapping appropriately.

After some recent experience with such conversions it's not such a bad process really. The content can look really good. The biggest issue is the shader/texture count. It's just madness in todays GFX engines to do things like this, and ideally I'd want to find a way to atlas all the textures. I think most of these old tracks could use about 20 shaders/textures tops! AND look better for it :D

Dave

THX at some places i'm at ~20fps with full grafiks POWER!
....resolution 1920x1080, full screen, visibility 1500m, max_anisotropy=16, live_track=1, render_once=0.....every thing else at default..... ^^

EDIT: will see what i get with rednder once^^
EDIT1: ok that gives a + from ~10fps.....^^
EDIT2: hmm...reduce the visibility to 1000m gives a + from ~10 fps...so i'm at ~40fps^^....i think it works^^

LOD's will be key...

lod0_z=500 for example, will turn a certain object off at 500m or more away from it's centre. You could probably turn off lots of details at larger distances to improve fps further!
To optimise this further, breaking up big clumps of say trees into 5 smaller ones will mean you can more finely control the LOD.

Dave

Targa Florio is the best track I've ever seen/driven! If you have rFactor, download "Historic GT and Touring Cars", pick the Alfa Giulia GTA, fill up the tank, and hoon the hell out of it! It took me an hour, but it is great fun! :D

Didn't know about the "Historic GT and Touring Cars" pack but I'll certainly be downloading both... probably within the hour lol!

I can't imagine the frame rate being all that good if we had it in Racer (optimisation.. I know I know..) :/

Optimisation is king!

Turning off shadows for CSM, LOD (more turning off items when they are not likely to be seen, than using lower detailed models)

Shaders can also monster lots of FPS. Recently I've noticed fences and transparent items chomping lots of FPS, not sure why really. I think they are just a pain these days with the CSM and alpha passing through multiple layers etc, so costly.
So, wire fences, or people etc, probably best to turn them off as soon as they go out of view. Chop them up into small lumps and literally go in-game and turn them off as soon as they can't be really seen etc.

Of course, at this stage it becomes fractions of FPS, but over loads of objects it'll soon add up to quite a big saving.

Certainly something to consider when authoring. Ie, if you have a wire fence, chop it at 100m intervals. If you have trees or crowds in one object around a bend, then split the object so you can turn the others on only when you get to the bend to go around it, and are not rendering it before you get to see it etc.

All stuff to tweak once you have finished the main build of course :D

Dave

yes, Dave, you are soo right! After implement the transparent items, the fps drop down for 50%!!!
ATM i'm at ~20fps...with grafik at full power!
THX for LOD thing...but the nicest looking (for me!) is ~1200m.....every thing less looks..hmm...not sure...but i don't like it...
Will see if i use it for 24h Layout...because the Night "Mod" reduces the fps, again, to ~10fps....
...here some pics^^

Can you even see a wire fence at 1200m? Remember, if the object is 800m long alongside the track, it will disappear at 800m away, not 1200m. The LOD distance you set is to the centre of the object.

Are you using the new X-tree shader?

Depending on the time you have, these rFactor tracks are made really badly for modern GFX systems/performance. I was looking at the Targa Florio quickly last night. Almost 2000 textures! I imagine most of them could be put down into about 40 textures, meaning about 40 shaders, tops.
It would also then be much easier to add a spec map to them all, and normal maps where needed, to really add some more depth to the track. AND, it'd probably run a good chunk faster too!

Well over 1000 shaders and textures is not an optimal way to work for todays GPU's it seems. Again, reading the Nvidia web docs is a great idea... one of the biggest costs for a GPU is the loading of a new texture and then the loading of a shader, and painting the scene with it.

I'm not sure how accurate this analogy is, but it seems quite suitable.

Imagine painting each frame, and each shader is a brush, and each paint colour is a texture. Swapping brushes and putting new paints on them is time consuming, before you even put them on the canvas.
If you can cut down the texture/shader count you should cut out a lot of time. Even if the swaps are relatively quick, thousands of them are starting to be COSTLY!

The end result is that you might halve FPS for no apparent gain in quality. That means you could either double FPS for the same visual look (or possibly better look a bit), OR, you could retain the same FPS and more than double the quality...

This is why, imo, Racer tracks look so poor relative to the frame rates we achieve. To get the quality new GPU's can achieve, we need to optimise our work for them to get the best from them :)

Also, probably CSM is still far from perfect... hehe...

Dave

Something a little different :cool:

I had permission to convert and release this vehicle many moons ago, however a lightning strike brought the project to a halt. I've finally decided to return to the project. The UV mapping and the main body texture setup is the only thing I can take credit for.

1980 Mercedes Benz 0305. Paint scheme / livery is from the city bus company I can recall from my childhood. (1980s)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest News

What is your next sim related purchase

• DLC

Votes: 120 27.4%
  • Full game

Votes: 102 23.3%
  • CPU

Votes: 54 12.3%
  • Graphics card