Old Racing Club Threads (merged)

Status
Not open for further replies.
RDMX-5BrandsHatchFlyercopy.jpg

Servername: Racedepartment.com MX-5
Password: Same as RD Club Events
Track: Brands Hatch GP
Class: MX-5 Cup / Roadster

Official Practice: 30 minutes (21:00 GMT / 4pm EST / 1pm PST)
Qualification - Lone qualifier (2 hotlaps)
Race - 18 laps (Standing Start)
Entries - 36
Fast tows - 1

Notes: Must be a RD Licensed member
http://www.racedepartment.com/misc.php?do=form&fid=1/

Read the password and golden rules.
http://www.racedepartment.com/rules-passwords/

Well that was rather depressing, I was really glad I got the chance to race this, now I can't help but feel that I wasted my evening and maybe working would have been more fun...

4 cautions and what, a maximum of maybe 4 racing laps, maybe not even that. Sorry but thats just pathetic and to top it all of the leader lights up his tyres and takes the front of the field with him on the 4th restart. If you haven't practiced, don't bother racing. If you haven't got the talent to drive closely to another, don't bother racing. If you can't even get the car moving out of 1st gear, never race. It was a 200 lap race and yet no one seemed to even consider what that meant, instead people were just trying to make up positions like it was a sprint race. Everyone should have been sitting back, let 10 laps go by allowing everyone to settle in before making any moves. At Indy its the last 20 laps that are most important, not the first laps.

And lastly, how is it acceptable to have a driver with a 400+ ping racing on an oval with Indy cars when he is lagging all over the place making it impossible to race safely.

Lets hope that any future oval events are conducted with a more apporpriate manner because this evening was rather tragic.

However, a thanks is still in order to Will for organising the event and keeping everything, in his control, running smoothly.

Shame it didnt work out. But i really like the concept of doing this at RD.
I am glad we tried it though and maybe we can come up with a better format for next year?

For example.
Maybe next year we do duels, and qualify races? and make them mandatory.

Lets say the first 20 that finish in the quali race of 50 laps have a spot, accounted that the have minimum incidents and no tows.
The rest then fight it out in a 50 lap duel for the last 12 spots.
If both races are mandatory every one has a change to run with one another.

Yeah true. Most of what I saw was just people taking the wrong line and smacking into a wall, eventually taking someone else with them I suppose. Glad I didn't race as I hadn't had that much practice. Really looking forward to doing some NASCAR on here, I find those cars a lot more comfortable.

Guys, while there were a few frustrating things you need to remember and keep one thing in mind. This is NOTHING but pixels on a screen, nobody is losing money, and it's not costing you anything except your time. Which I understand that our time has value but exploding on someone in game over a silly mistake is uncalled for and I found it to be rather rude! I would call the out burst for what I really thought of that but one, I respect the people here, and two don't want to get struck by lightning. Remember this was for everyone, not just the really good guys.

Now for my advice, when I race an oval no matter what car it is I will practice the three lines on the track. I will run only on the outside line, then after a good while switch to the inside line. After getting those down as well as I can I'll practice the qual/single file line. That way you know how to hold any line on the track. If you can get that down you'll be able to run with most people, then you can put your efforts into getting faster. Put both of those together and you've got it!

Thanks Will, Kevin, RD, and anyone else involved putting this together. I'm sorry I couldn't stay any longer but I think I had over done it well before the point of my leaving. My wife is a bit upset at my hand (me for doing it) at the moment... lol

***EDIT*** I owe William Watt an apology as I hit him under caution. I tried to miss him and from my replay it looked as if I had but I hit "air" which was his back end.

Well that was rather depressing, I was really glad I got the chance to race this, now I can't help but feel that I wasted my evening and maybe working would have been more fun...

4 cautions and what, a maximum of maybe 4 racing laps, maybe not even that. Sorry but thats just pathetic and to top it all of the leader lights up his tyres and takes the front of the field with him on the 4th restart. If you haven't practiced, don't bother racing. If you haven't got the talent to drive closely to another, don't bother racing. If you can't even get the car moving out of 1st gear, never race. It was a 200 lap race and yet no one seemed to even consider what that meant, instead people were just trying to make up positions like it was a sprint race. Everyone should have been sitting back, let 10 laps go by allowing everyone to settle in before making any moves. At Indy its the last 20 laps that are most important, not the first laps.

And lastly, how is it acceptable to have a driver with a 400+ ping racing on an oval with Indy cars when he is lagging all over the place making it impossible to race safely.

Lets hope that any future oval events are conducted with a more apporpriate manner because this evening was rather tragic.

However, a thanks is still in order to Will for organising the event and keeping everything, in his control, running smoothly.

Richard,

Appreciate your feelings and the race obviously didn't go as planned (or at least for the time I was there). I lost it going in to one of the turns (not even overtaking, just lifting slightly on the throttle and the back end stepped out) so I was the cause of one caution (maybe the 4th or 5th) and probably a few folks collecting me and getting damage.

Next restart there was yet a another coming together and as I approched the turn where the caution occurred, I was confronted with crashed cars and heaps of smoke, I slowed to almost a stop to avoid the carnage and unfortunately Kev W hit me.

After that I called it a day. Couldn't bear the thought of running laps at 70 mph all night, lol. I'm not an expert on the ovals by any means, but felt the RD event was a good place to 'dip the toe in the water' but it turned out not be as I expected.

Abdul will hopefully have his ping issues sorted soon, as he is changing ISP to hopefully cure his problems. As for him being allowed to race - that is up to the Admins whether they ban him or not, but I agree, constant flashing of an opponent due to poor ping, is not ideal and can lead to all sorts of mishaps.

When we get iRacing 2.0, it will include the 'Heat/Tournament' functionality, where we will be able to run proper event qualifying events prior to race days and then the league/club admins can maybe allocate the appropriate racers to their 'split'. Maybe this would work better for future events like this?

To sign off, please do come back next weekend and tell us all how smoothly and caution-free the 'official iRacing' Indy 500 events went, lol.

Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :)

Second place, what a (long) race that was. Thanks a milllion to Will and Kev for setting this up for us. Bloody brilliant. :doublethumb:

Though start in the beginning with lots of yellow safety periods. Some people will need to spend more time driving in traffic and gain experience. Dissappointed some of the drivers left while it would have been a great event of 200 laps to build up your oval experience.

Too tired to write a long race report. Will do tomorrow for sure. Need a drink now :thumb:

Thanks everybody and multi congrats to Blinking Abdul Ahmed for his magnificent win!!!

Gratz Abdul and sorry Ramon. Ive lead 76 laps of the 200 and i crashed the car comming out in turn 4:(. Still managed to bring the car to a 4th place!!. People oval racing and espicially 500 miles is all about waiting and not to win it in lap 1.
Thanks all

Haha, Thanks for the trophy Bram.

My neck on the right side was aching even before half distance. And no it wasnt due to leaning left in the turns, it was due to the cautions. Next iRD Indy 500 will be much better. And I'll either have a 50mb broadband or 20mb broadband next month so no more excuses I was blinking hehehehehe.

Congrats to everyone that took part and also a massive "Well Done" to the finishers.

That would be me I guess :cool:. Its normally hitting 199 and that is the highest it has been lately due to me ISP messing my upload speed. 400? :confused:. Virgin Media with their 10mb connection is pathetic.

Sorry dude

Edited to add

When should I go to visit her for my prize? You'll know what I am on about if you were stuck with us under cautions hehe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest News

Back