AC Multiclass Audi TT/Mazda MX5@ Willow Springs, Wednesday 2nd March 2022

Assetto Corsa Racing Club event
Great racing everyone. Congrats to the podiums.
Nice performance of the (almost) new guys @KDiesel , @L4de and @Hazzatron19 .

While you all did really well, I had a really bad race. Not practiced at all, not set up for the MX5, started practicing late. Couldn't find the right lines for the difficult corners and so qualified last (because Kimi and Harry didn't participate in qualifying). While doing my pre-race chat and no one was responding, I noticed I accidentally closed Discord. So with half a minute to go I had to restart it and do the usual quick reminders. So I forgot to press the 'drive' button and was teleported to the pits with a 10-second penalty. Well, I could forget a podium given the lap times of the guys in front of me. I was able to catch up to Harry, but Jari was too fast, although I narrowed the gap a bit.
The teleport and the penalty was a real shame because I think it could have been very interesting for the MX5 race if I could have competed with you.

Well, for next week I believe the GT3/GT4 is going to Riverside, but I think that track is too boring for the MX5 at about 90% full throttle. So I'm going to look for an interesting track that isn't suitable for the GT3s.
We will re-sync with the GT3/GT4 when they go to tracks suitable for both events.

See you on track!

Great racing everyone. Congrats to the podiums.
Nice performance of the (almost) new guys @KDiesel , @L4de and @Hazzatron19 .

While you all did really well, I had a really bad race. Not practiced at all, not set up for the MX5, started practicing late. Couldn't find the right lines for the difficult corners and so qualified last (because Kimi and Harry didn't participate in qualifying). While doing my pre-race chat and no one was responding, I noticed I accidentally closed Discord. So with half a minute to go I had to restart it and do the usual quick reminders. So I forgot to press the 'drive' button and was teleported to the pits with a 10-second penalty. Well, I could forget a podium given the lap times of the guys in front of me. I was able to catch up to Harry, but Jari was too fast, although I narrowed the gap a bit.
The teleport and the penalty was a real shame because I think it could have been very interesting for the MX5 race if I could have competed with you.

Well, for next week I believe the GT3/GT4 is going to Riverside, but I think that track is too boring for the MX5 at about 90% full throttle. So I'm going to look for an interesting track that isn't suitable for the GT3s.
We will re-sync with the GT3/GT4 when they go to tracks suitable for both events.

See you on track!
Brands Indy, thruxton or Donington National as suggestions for mx5/Audi Ty next week

So what´s different to Willow Springs then?
( I could have done WS with the brakes I use on my dayly driver, they wouldn`t have gotten warm at all.)

Riverside needs some carefull momentum management and tactical drafting, I vote for going there :thumbsup:
(these are skills I really need to practice, because I cocked that up last time around:mad:)

So, please Han, name your price, will a crate of German Beer suffice? :O_o:

MFG Carsten

So what´s different to Willow Springs then?
( I could have done WS with the brakes I use on my dayly driver, they wouldn`t have gotten warm at all.)

Riverside needs some carefull momentum management and tactical drafting, I vote for going there :thumbsup:
(these are skills I really need to practice, because I cocked that up last time around:mad:)

So, please Han, name your price, will a crate of German Beer suffice? :O_o:

MFG Carsten
I'm more of a whiskey kind of guy but also very democratic. If here in this thread some more drivers vote for Riverside, we're going to do that.
It can be that I setup the new event for next week on different track but I can change that afterwards if you get more support for Riverside.

Last edited:
Brands Indy, thruxton or Donington National as suggestions for mx5/Audi Ty next week
So you want to lure us onto your home tracks?:rolleyes:
Keep in mind that that the shorter the track the more this pesky Audis come disturbing the peace :sneaky:.

Also if you pull this off I´ll retaliate with Nordschleife ;).

BTW, if you are the type who learns from books:

It helped me a lot, still lies next to my bed for quick reminder now and then.

MFG Carsten

Last edited:
I'm sorry guys, I got things mixed up. Riverside GT3/Gt4 is this Sunday.
Next Sunday is the Spa event for the Ginetta championship.
So the question is if we want to go to Spa also. Alternatives are then Riverside or Seattle.

See very little difference between willow and riverside.
I would say riverside is easier, there is one corner, even though I went through it 40 odd times at Willow , still could not get it right.
Yes that is we’re I went sand dune racing.. :-/

Unfortunately I do not learn from books, I have to see it for myself first, then it seems to lock into my wee brain.
My brain does a shot gun approach to things , so I end up not seeing what is important and not important.
I would certainly gain from being with a group of aliens in a cooperative group . Watching and learning, being isolated , which generally speaking is the same for most of us makes that last 2% very hard to find.
Even though I realise everything has a limit, we could all learn to refine the rough edges, we just need to know we’re to look.

Our society it totally a construct of cooperation between us all, time’s I have thought that was fast enough, only to see someone else being a couple and more seconds faster. I then have another go and find that time. In isolation I would never achieve that.
Still does not stop me being impressed by some of our aliens pace though.
The End.

Sorry Han,

tried Seattle again, but:

I´m a country boy, don´t like ( and don´t do well on) city tracks.
And most importantly Seattle makes my eyes hurt, figurativly and physically.
(As you may have noticed I have some trouble with the graphics department, yet I´m not ready to grossly overspend on an upgrade.)

So, Seatlle get´s the maximum downvote from me.

Spa? Guess it beats a sharp stick in the eye :cautious:

Id´much prefer to go sand skiing again ;)

MFG Carsten

Last edited:
Unfortunately I do not learn from books, I have to see it for myself first, then it seems to lock into my wee brain.
My brain does a shot gun approach to things , so I end up not seeing what is important and not important.

If going faster is important to you, start to steer less.
(Yes, it´s THAT easy ;))

The difficult part is to find a racing line that allows little steering and a lot of early acceleration.

For example Willow Springs:

things started to come togehter when I started to break less.

T1 Castrol Corner:
brake ( a little) in a straight line, turn in, WOT ways BEFORE the apex

T2 Rabbits Ear
NO braking at all, turn in early manage tyre scrub ( -5/10 when you steer too much)

T3
brake a little, turn in, accelerate full, lift a little over the crest to not spin or understeer out.

T4 Budweiser Balcony
Accelerate straight aiming for the TOY from Toyota,
turn in from the left third of the track, lift and cut to the inside over the cracked pavement, WOT

T5
brake ( a little ) on the crest, smash it into the compression and roll into the throttle
into

T6/7/8
WOT on the shortest line

T9 aim first for the " Toyota barn" then for the two bushes on the left side of the track
stay completely left untill the "triangle patch" in the asphalt, turn in softly
than a small dab of brakes to rotate the car
Wot into the straight , just NOT clipping the end of the inside curb.

generally ( with my setup) it´s a good idea to avoid the curbs.
they unsettle the car they spit you into the sand :mad:

When on a new track I force myself to do at least five slow laps.
That gives me the time to see more details and find more markers.
(Ross Bentley: more markers better consistency)

MFG Carsten

So you want to lure us onto your home tracks?:rolleyes:
Keep in mind that that the shorter the track the more this pesky Audis come disturbing the peace :sneaky:.

Also if you pull this off I´ll retaliate with Nordschleife ;).

BTW, if you are the type who learns from books:

It helped me a lot, still lies next to my bed for quick reminder now and then.

MFG Carsten
He has tons of videos too...

Thanks for great racing last night. I was going to mute Discord for race and somehow forget to get grid on time, so it was start from pit with 10 sec penalty here too, pushed like hell thru race and almost catch 4th place. See you in next one.

Last edited:

Latest News

Back