AC Multiclass Audi TT/Mazda MX5@Road America, Wednesday 2nd February 2022

Assetto Corsa Racing Club event
Chaps, I'm gonna have to bail unfortunately... :( I still have to finish some work for tomorrow morning and even if I make it to qualy my headspace is half empty already and I'd be more of a hazard... and that's no fun. Apologies for being so late with the news @HF2000 I thought I would be able to make it but couldn't... :cry:

Best of luck everyone! Have a good one... I'll be cheering y'all from my work desk... :coffee:

Last edited:
Nice race! Messy first lap, tons of side-by-side contacts specially on the straights - I was even made sandwich stuff once, kept it as clean as possibly could... anyway. Nice battles with Doug and new Chris (kudos for you, nice consistency, which I didn't have this evening, sadly, otherwise I guess we'd keep battling all the way).

Thank you Chris and Han for putting me on last minute!

See you guys next time!

Last edited:
Yeah , the first lap could be called messy, got relegated from P3 to P6. ( in the Hairdressers Porsche class)
After pulling myself together I could make up some places and ended my race yapping at Han´s heels without the possibility of getting by.( not true, there were possibilties which Han artfully dismantled ;))

Many thanks to the usual suspects for an exciting, but mostly fair race, special thanks to Han for always being the ringleader in these things :sneaky:.

Now I´ll recover with a beer and in two or three hours I´ll stop sweating.

Good night guys, Carsten

Messy one from me again.

Qualified beside Allan at the back as I lost a lap trying to find some space and my final lap I was doing fine until I spun coming out of the final corner.

Decent start, then I started making up places by avoiding the incidents, apart from tapping Han who was having a half spin which straightened him up, I think. Found myself in 3rd place, to my surprise.

Managed to put in some reasonable laps early on but slipped back. Then I got back up to P4, started chasing Carsten but made a big error trying to keep up, spun on corner exit and lost a chunk of time and places.

After that I steadied the ship and eventually caught up a couple of places towards the end.

Positive is that I have recently made a step in my underlying pace but I need to convert that into a decent race. On this track I should have been fighting with Han and Carsten for P3.

Thanks to all the racers and to Han for organising.

Pretty quiet race on my end. Had some pace early on and at the end, but I just couldn't keep the gap under 3s in-between, Caution: Fast drivers ahead :laugh: .

Biggest excitement came about midway? through when audis #2-7 were all bunched up for a couple laps (just when we all happened to come across the mazdas too :confused:). I was bringing up the rear and didn't want to lose the train, so I apologize if I was a bit too aggressive on any over takes there. Made for a couple really tight laps :thumbsup:

Screenshot_ks_audi_tt_cup_lilski_road_america_2-1-122-18-6-41.jpg

Me out of formation at the back :p

Sorry I couldn't provide the same photo finish at the end this race Paul :D. Almost had it set up with 1 p2p left to try and get you on that last straight, but the gap was already 1.5s when the traffic gods didn't look my way, so I didn't push it and let those lil mazda's duke it out ;).

As always, a big thanks to our host and to the rest of the racers :):thumbsup: See you all this weekend with a bit more hp :cool:

Last edited:
Sorry I couldn't provide the same photo finish at the end this race Paul :D.
I saw you closing in Robert, and had flashbacks to last weeks race!:confused::confused:. But I had a bit more luck with traffic this week and was ready for you with my own P2P saved up for that final lap.:D.

A really good fun race this week, this is such a great track and lends itself well to good racing. I had some fun with Ernie, Richard and a fast incoming Thomas for most of the race and was well pleased with 5th at the finish.

There was one scary moment when the Audi train went either side of Andre and Allan, must have been quite a sight seeing us lot bearing down but from what I saw it all ended well.

Congrats to the winners and podiums, thanks to the Mazda guys for the safe overtaking and as usual thanks to Han for another well run event.

A rare podium for me so very pleased with that race. I hadn't expected to qualify so well but ended up P2 and a good start meant I had a few seconds gap from the battling Ernie, Richard and Paul. I'd hoped they'd scrap for the whole race and just leave me alone but Ernie managed to shake Richard off and came hunting. I could see from the lap times that he was at least 0.5s quicker but I just kept my head down and tried to maintain a gap as best I could. Unfortunately, Ernie caught up and got past but I was able to stay on his tail until lapping Mazdas.

Congrats to all the podiums and thanks to Han for organising.

Apart from all that happened at the start and in T5 in lap 1, a very nice but intens race. Almost the whole race I was trying to keep Carsten from getting a slipstream. He was a bit faster and two times he got a chance on the Morraine Sweep but both times I defended the inside and could keep my position. It got very scary when a train of 5 or 6 Audi's came to lap us. It is kind a problem that if an Audi has passed you just before a turn with a hard braking zone, you as a Mazda still loose time because your brakepoint is later than that of the Audi and because of the car in front you have to brake much earlier then you would normally do. But that's the dynamic (and charm) of multiclass but when in a battle like me and Carsten, you can do without it.

There's one thing that I want to express. Last night there was an Audi driver that was new and clearly didn't have a lot of experience with these cars and format. I found the commentary on him and his driving not always as respectful as I should want from this community. We all remember our first race online with other drivers that are much more experienced. It was scary, wasn't it? So I expected a bit more understanding.
I hope he isn't turned off by this. I will PM him to hear what he thought of it and maybe advice him to take the MX5 next time.

Congrats to the podium and @Spange54 for a great debute! I hope you liked it, Chris!

Apart from all that happened at the start and in T5 in lap 1, a very nice but intens race. Almost the whole race I was trying to keep Carsten from getting a slipstream. He was a bit faster and two times he got a chance on the Morraine Sweep but both times I defended the inside and could keep my position. It got very scary when a train of 5 or 6 Audi's came to lap us. It is kind a problem that if an Audi has passed you just before a turn with a hard braking zone, you as a Mazda still loose time because your brakepoint is later than that of the Audi and because of the car in front you have to brake much earlier then you would normally do. But that's the dynamic (and charm) of multiclass but when in a battle like me and Carsten, you can do without it.

There's one thing that I want to express. Last night there was an Audi driver that was new and clearly didn't have a lot of experience with these cars and format. I found the commentary on him and his driving not always as respectful as I should want from this community. We all remember our first race online with other drivers that are much more experienced. It was scary, wasn't it? So I expected a bit more understanding.
I hope he isn't turned off by this. I will PM him to hear what he thought of it and maybe advice him to take the MX5 next time.

Congrats to the podium and @Spange54 for a great debute! I hope you liked it, Chris!
Indeed! Agreed!

Last edited:

Han,

I agree, we want to encourage new drivers, not put them off.

Chris had a great race in the Mazda, I thought that I could catch him at the end but he was able to keep a gap if 4-5 seconds on me for the closing laps. Well done Chris @Spange54.

Last edited:

Latest News

Back