AC Multiclass Abarth500/Mazda MX5@Riverside, Wed 3rd August 2022

Assetto Corsa Racing Club event
Eventful evening's racing here. My wheel rim snapped in practice so I had to fit a spare leaving me little track time and an unfamiliar rim to race with.

Got caught up in the first lap incident and had to take to the dunes to avoid contact. Others were not as fortunate and I returned to track having gained a few places. Later in the lap I had a coming together in the final turn with Callum :( I tried to keep tight to the inside but drifted slightly over as Callum was turning in and we met in the middle. I took it as a racing incident but apologies for my part in it.

A few spins later and I was stone last trying to chase back and without making any progress. Messed up my pit entry and had to go around again putting me even further back :rolleyes:

Highlight of my race was seeing Han emerge from the pits just in front of me which gave me someone to chase for a lap until he pulled away.

These MX5s are trickier than I expected :)

That was an intense race... sitting for 3 hours in a room at 30c trying to focus on the right line and pace was a challenge, but I was more than happy with my result. Following Allan at the start of practice yielded better lines through the first hairpin and the nascar bend [ the last turn (9)] which got me into the low 59's finally. The rest of practice went into doing that consistently and it got me a fine qualy spot right in the middle of the pack. I had a good start and managed to navigate the busy esses but space got tight quickly and I had to brake and evade a white Mazda (Mika?) in a snap to avoid an accident. :confused: So I think that moment triggered the "lap 1 accordion" Thomas refers to 'coz Callum slowed his car down on my rear bumper and hell got loose behind me. I somehow kept my driving straight and could carry on but not without having to dodge Abarths re-entering the track first.

After that I settled down and chased Mika for a few laps, we had a fun scrap after which I managed to pass him with a better exit into the long straight. He stayed close by but I think he had an incident 'coz suddenly I had Abarths behind me instead, swooping by on the straight. I kept the chase on Kimi and Robert (?), managed to pass one of the Abarths and kept the chase on the other but couldn't get closer. Then I went past Allan who was taking sand samples, but after a few laps he was right behind me. I decided that was my chime to dive into the pits and let Mr. Ramsbottom be and do his thing. I overshot my pitspace and came back in the midle of traffic, on 10th. position.

The last part of my race was about keeping the car on track and managing the gap to Mika & Co. behind me. Tyres were fading (almost got me into the RIP wall at the first hairpin) so I tiptoed for about 10 laps to cross the line on 5th. overall, a position I was not expecting TBH. That was also 3rd. place of the Mazdas so that made it my 2nd. podium this year... that was earned with full focus and much luck as well! :D

I completely agree with your previous comments chaps, this was one of the closest races we have ever had (in the last 2 years) and I think it's proof that these cars together (500 & MX5) are a fantastic Multiclass combo for true, close racing so, thanks again for organising a great event Han @HF2000 ! :thumbsup:

Looking forward to the next race lads, enjoy the silly season! :laugh:

Last edited:
I can put fuel usage to 90% for everyone to prevent a second pitstop for the Abarth.
Why would you do that?

People choose their car knowing what it can do, at least in the cup series where all are ( or at least should be) on equal material.

So if someone can´t drive RWD and chooses the Crabwalker, let him suffer for it.

MFG Carsten

( and yes, maybe I´m holding the simulation value way to high, in the end it´s just a video game)

View attachment 588747
Also Aki gimme some space next time :'D
:D:D you got so much more speed than me (came out from pit) at that poin so you just flashed to my car radar and didn't know which side you were going xD sorry for that.

Missed the won at pitstop nevertheless xP I did go past my pit for long way and then reverse past again :D +10 seconds from there

Never thought we have any kind of racing with these two different cars when I was watching qualy times... But looks like Abarth was sloooooow on corners.

I had a good start and managed to navigate the busy esses but space got tight quickly and I had to brake and evade a white Mazda (Mika?) in a snap to avoid an accident. :confused: So I think that moment triggered the "lap 1 accordion" Thomas refers to 'coz Callum slowed his car down on my rear bumper and hell got loose behind me. I somehow kept my driving straight and could carry on but not without having to dodge Abarths re-entering the track first.
Yeah, that Mazda was me. I was on the right side of the track coming to the first quick right hander, and when Paul braked in front of me on the left side I wanted to make sure I can stay on the right through the corner - so I also braked a bit. Afterwards it's easy to say that there was no need for that, since there would have been enough room on the left to keep my speed - but I couldn't know it then.

Anyway, apologies for the effects it might have caused.

Last edited:
Yes Aki, my opinion is it is more of the type of corners here.
If the corners are faster, we still lose, but we can make some ground out of the corner.
These are apart from the last corner are more U shaped, the Abarth gets stuck in under steer, not being able to do anything.
Fulvio was the only one that could go some way to over coming that.
If all the bends here were 90 deg bends the situation should or would be very different.
There is no way I could normally stay with you, but I just lacked the skill to match Fulvio in the corners, I gave up and let Fulvio have a go, by then he had caught me anyway:):(

Yeah, that Mazda was me. I was on the right side of the track coming to the first quick right hander, and when Paul braked in front of me on the left side I wanted to make sure I can stay on the right through the corner - so I also braked a bit. Afterwards it's easy to say that there was no need for that, since there would have been enough room on the left to keep my speed - but I couldn't know it then.

Anyway, apologies for the effects it might have caused.

No worries man, it's part of the game. I may have also been overcautious but that's the thing with lap 1 and traffic through the first corners. :coffee:

First a big apology to our greatness @HF2000 for taking you out,i was so focused on Aki and Fulvio having a little argy bargy i hit the brakes just before the corner causing the back end to step out and me off building sand castles in the dunes,my 1st thought was of that "Old Bugger" who was very close,crewchief picked up on him, but you came out of the blue,still it is a fast bendy section,even waiting it still puts a bad feeling in your mouth,well it does for me for upsetting someones race,had fun regaining places back,just wish there would have been 1 more lap, cos "R" Ernie :cautious: would have been stuffed..;):roflmao::laugh:..Grats to podium,see you on track and be safe guys..

Latest News

Back