AC Multiclass Abarth500/Mazda MX5@Monza, Wed 7th September 2022

Assetto Corsa Racing Club event
Well just done some of my own experimentings, I can say with a fair bit of certainty that manual is quicker than flappy paddles.
but I will not be using a manual, I find paddles much better for me, so i
will not be going manual, even if I could for a race.
paddles are faster proof everysingle time on rsr :p higher top speed cuz they can exit also with higher speed without lifting

paddles are faster proof everysingle time on rsr :p higher top speed cuz they can exit also with higher speed without lifting
I still don't believe that the times showing an H-shifter in the info would really be driven with paddles. If the H-shifter has been disabled in the CM, why would it show up in the laptime info?
That #1 alien was asked if he's using paddles or shifter, and he answered "fully manual". I don't see how that could have meant he's using paddles.

In my opinion, only the times that say H-SHIFTER NOT USED are driven with paddles.
There are still some very fast laps with paddles, for example #2 time with Abarth on Monza.

Last edited:
I do not know about RSR, ( silly old me , I thought you were talking about a Porsche ).
I am mainly concerned with older cars and production type cars like the Abarth and Mazda.:)
I know Monza so well after so many laps, and the fact that the lowish speed makes a manual useable, I am not sure i would fair so well at changing 5 gears and doing 180 mph before T1, especially me, “ha ha” that would be a turn up for the books. But with paddles that is easily do able.
One of the advantages is in a slow car you can go from 6th then neutral wait then go into 3rd for T1.
PS got an extra 1 km/hr with manual. Was 204km/hr now 205km/hr.

Last edited:
I still don't believe that the times showing an H-shifter in the info would really be driven with paddles. If the H-shifter has been disabled in the CM, why would it show up in the laptime info?
That #1 alien was asked if he's using paddles or shifter, and he answered "fully manual". I don't see how that could have meant he's using paddles.

In my opinion, only the times that say H-SHIFTER NOT USED are driven with paddles.
There are still some very fast laps with paddles, for example #2 time with Abarth on Monza.
So He was driving in manual mode? i dont get it without lifting full throttle dats what i dont understand He show the pedals data on the video not on rsr and if dat was thats strange to me

Last edited:
After being on the AMS2 server for a 20min race of which I served 15 min befotre I gave up. Being hit on purpose 8 times and going into the pits for repairs 3 times.
The above seems quite tame especially as a call of nature is “reasonable”.. so if this happens I will park it nose first into a wall.:roflmao::roflmao:

racecars can have sequential gearboxes (dogboxes) which are shifted clutchless

is what we call an integrated clutch system but we was talking about the game on a manual car
I'm a bit confused now...
Dogboxes have no clutch, integrated or not afaik. You really simply build a dogbox to withstand the torture of slamming in the next gear with no clutch and just a very short moment without a gear engaged to sync the rpm at least a little bit via the throttle.

Integrated clutch system would be an automated clutch of a sequential gearbox?

I'm a bit confused now...
Dogboxes have no clutch, integrated or not afaik. You really simply build a dogbox to withstand the torture of slamming in the next gear with no clutch and just a very short moment without a gear engaged to sync the rpm at least a little bit via the throttle.

we was talking about paddles system and manual in the end of hes chat was talkin about that we never took the option of dogboxes since we was talkin about paddles and manual was for the second part the prob was me i pick the reply for the entire conversation

Ok, I don't want you to abandon the Abarth, Ernie. For next races I will put fuel usage at 40% and tyre wear at 10% so the Abarth can also do a 1 liter pitstop.
I'm little bit against that change, taking care of fuel & tires makes things more intresting. With these new setting I never get better result than Ernie or you like I did at Monza, well, now I can least kick ass some slower Mazda drivers so go ahead if you must. See you in next race.

My take on the word dog box is no synchronised cones, the gears have a series of castellations that I assume are always referred to as dogs, and the distance between the dog in many ways contributes to the ease and speed of the gear change.
closer the dogs, the faster the change, but the more likely to grind the shift.
Most dog boxes do not last that long when used in anger.
F1 uses dog boxes, with the timing done between the dogs.
PS they are sequential of course:)

PS things may have changed now in F1
PS 2 yes you have a clutch, just as with a manual gearbox

Last edited:
My take on the word dog box is no synchronised cones, the gears have a series of castellations that I assume are always referred to as dogs, and the distance between the dog in many ways contributes to the ease and speed of the gear change.
closer the dogs, the faster the change, but the more likely to grind the shift.
Most dog boxes do not last that long when used in anger.
F1 uses dog boxes, with the timing done between the dogs.

PS things may have changed now in F1
PS 2 yes you have a clutch, just as with a manual geasrbox
so well my mistake ty for telling me more as learning its always good about this i guess where i live we use different terms for part i own a predator a legend and a clio cup for hillclimb/track(the clio is not really mine is from a friend who let me do some crono race's and track) im not the one who prep the cars i just race atleast before covid regional

Just made a few trials with different gearboxes in Tor Poznan:

the "usual" Mazda transmision which is syncromesh with manual clutch irl in the road cars and in the older Cup car works realistically as expected.
Race start with the clutch, "forgetting" clutch engagement when shifting is penalized with gear box damage.
Its possible to use the clutch as a switch ( just tap it) and so cheat the game but I will not start with that kind of shenanigans as it would mess up muscle memory for my irl manual car.

To be frankly, without "shift lockout" which only allows shifting when the clutch pedal is depressed for at least 90% this is also kind of cheating.

I also can´t imagine how this would be quicker as moving the shift
lever takes longer and you have to modulate clutch and throttle, for "driftfree" downshifts even simultaneously with the brake/ Heel´n´Toe.

Just realised i didn´t try Autoblip

I tried H-pattern with autoclutch but was discouraged fastly as the "sounds of destruction" appeared when shifting without clutch signal.

I´ll stay with 3pedal driving with a sequential stick, I believe the manual clutch gives an advantage at Race Start and the upshifts are full throttle /Flat Foot Shifting.

For the the downshifts I just blip the throttle, braking is completely left foot.

In all fairness, that would only be "realistic way" for the current modell MX5Cup which has a sequential gearbox.

OH, BTW, Autoblip and Flat Foot shifting can be had with aftermarket tunes even for road cars. I just didn´t choose the latter because it stresses the drive train even more than normal track duty and I´m not slow on track because of the shift times.
( And in the GT86 Cup at VLN it was prohibited by the rules :rolleyes:)

MFG Carsten

Sounds more like the Double Clutch/DSG gear box pioneered by VW/Audi:

These thing definitely are faster than manual gearboxes with "clutch control by human foot"
But they are expensive and a bitch to maintain/repair.

So I chose my " play car" with manual six speed and three pedals.

MFG Carsten

Latest News

Back