AC Mazda MX5 Cup @Ahvenisto, Wednesday 27th April 2022

Assetto Corsa Racing Club event
Any chance of supplying me with a FWD Mazda.:O_o:

355AD03C-B4DE-4E98-8AA4-5755B8B12859.jpeg

Spent ages trying to get remotely near Alan's time and mostly trying to find a perfect setup.
In the end, Standard Kuno's setup was the best. :(

1 ) This circuit is plain difficult.
2) My only hope is that Allan has recently been abducted by aliens. Hence his pace here.
3) Others are going to struggle here.
4) I can find a miracle set up to close the gap.
5) Borrow a turbo and convert it to FWD.

OIP (1000).jpg

You find what you find, you do not find what you have missed. I have put loads of effort into camber setting over the last five years. There have been a number of statements I have read from some of our best engineers who frequent these forums on Racedepartment.
I have never come across a definitive answer as yet. But Camber extravaganza is a good starting point.
With my wee pea brain I have come to the , “as of now”, conclusion that it really is a very dynamic thing that applies to the whole single lap of a circuit with a static track condition and setup applied.

I do not use it now, relying on laps to try and get a whole one lap right for the camber.

But and this is a big but, it can be a very elusive thing to get absolutely correct, also another big but, driving is king, even if I get , and I sometimes do get it a 100% correct Joel’ or Alan will still be faster, I may just grab a few 1/10th back from his 1 seconds a lap over me.
And I certainly realise my setup actually cost me time on occasions.
But in the end it is driver ability and consistency that really counts.
So camber extravaganza will help you not to get it completely wrong.

completely wrong will cause you to lose a lot of time.
I was playing with dampers recently, doing many laps to try and get a standard in my head to help with understanding and getting fast and slow damping right.
I cannot obviously account for every car in AC , or sim.
But it was a prominent car and well used car on this forum. Eventually I set all the dampers to 0 slow and fast , and did exactly the same lap time.:O_o:

I just enjoy setting cars up and like the challenge, but I am aware of my limitations and AC simulation limitations.

I do this in isolation, I am totally convinced if I were in a group of engineers, who I actually physically met up in a communal environment and could easily and freely exchange knowledge, then I possibly may have a different take on it all.
89AF5371-6C17-4B42-9F63-99A3BE0632FB.jpeg

Never raced this track before, but this is an interesting one. Good track to try out the new app I downloaded too - camber extravaganza - Finally think I might understand what camber is/does :geek:

...Or at least I will after this race, on track or off :laugh:

You find what you find, you do not find what you have missed. I have put loads of effort into camber setting over the last five years. There have been a number of statements I have read from some of our best engineers who frequent these forums on Racedepartment.
I have never come across a definitive answer as yet. But Camber extravaganza is a good starting point.
With my wee pea brain I have come to the , “as of now”, conclusion that it really is a very dynamic thing that applies to the whole single lap of a circuit with a static track condition and setup applied.

I do not use it now, relying on laps to try and get a whole one lap right for the camber.

But and this is a big but, it can be a very elusive thing to get absolutely correct, also another big but, driving is king, even if I get , and I sometimes do get it a 100% correct Joel’ or Alan will still be faster, I may just grab a few 1/10th back from his 1 seconds a lap over me.
And I certainly realise my setup actually cost me time on occasions.
But in the end it is driver ability and consistency that really counts.
So camber extravaganza will help you not to get it completely wrong.

completely wrong will cause you to lose a lot of time.
I was playing with dampers recently, doing many laps to try and get a standard in my head to help with understanding and getting fast and slow damping right.
I cannot obviously account for every car in AC , or sim.
But it was a prominent car and well used car on this forum. Eventually I set all the dampers to 0 slow and fast , and did exactly the same lap time.:O_o:

I just enjoy setting cars up and like the challenge, but I am aware of my limitations and AC simulation limitations.

I do this in isolation, I am totally convinced if I were in a group of engineers, who I actually physically met up in a communal environment and could easily and freely exchange knowledge, then I possibly may have a different take on it all.
View attachment 561473
I usually setup my camber, so I will have 7-10c difference in temperature between the inner and outer shoulder of the tyre. That has 95% of the time worked fine.

I find that with Camber extravaganza, I end up with less tha ideal amount of camber

Ps. In case if someone didn't know - More negative camber > more difference between the shoulders and bit more heat in general.

Last edited:
@HF2000 I discovered last night that you can go into the water and fall through the map but not reset to the pits. I ended up in free fall and, because the game thought I was still moving I could not hit Esc to manually get to the pits. My wheel was juddering so my only way out was to shut down the game.

The moral, of course, is to stay out of the water but I thought I would let everyone know.

@HF2000 I discovered last night that you can go into the water and fall through the map but not reset to the pits. I ended up in free fall and, because the game thought I was still moving I could not hit Esc to manually get to the pits. My wheel was juddering so my only way out was to shut down the game.

The moral, of course, is to stay out of the water but I thought I would let everyone know.
Thank you very much for your consideration :)

A piece of usefull advice:

Content manager allows you to map a wheel button for "teleporting to pits" that works on a moving car.
I have that function on my only mapped button because some of the distinguished gentlemen here act full on "eleven years old" after the finish line and crash into anything that moves :O_o:

MFG Carsten

About camber.

I´ve had some talks with a tyre engineer, read a lot and experimented a little on the street ( Dunlop) and track (Bridgestone) tyres of my GT86. (Coilover suspension professionally setup for NOS)

Let´s just say the tyres in AC don´t react to setup changes as I would expect them to.
The tyre model is quite old nowadays ( and if i remember correctly ) works with an idealized contact point and not the more realistic contact patch.
The latter would need an even pressure distribution to the ground which is influenced by load, camber, toe and pressure.

The Mazda has a double A-arm suspension front and rear so under squat and roll this values change constantly in a manner predefined by the suspension kinematics.

A Bono would have his Lewis do an "ideal lap" and than monitor the suspension movement and tyre temps in real time. Than the team would define the "most important" corner and setup suspension kinematics, camber, toe and tyre pressures optimally for this corner and and less ideal for the others.

TL;DR:

no need to go into extremes with camber in AC, it´s not worth the hassle as the changes are not modelled in the sim.
I myself have half an eye on temp distribution but that´s more "for the heart" than a technical necessity.

(And I stand by my exclamation that Ahvenisto can not be forced, two hours later I´ve only improved marginally and crashed four times in AI training races.)

MFG Carsten

Last edited:
Thank you very much for your consideration :)

A piece of usefull advice:

Content manager allows you to map a wheel button for "teleporting to pits" that works on a moving car.
I have that function on my only mapped button because some of the distinguished gentlemen here act full on "eleven years old" after the finish line and crash into anything that moves :O_o:

MFG Carsten
I didn't know you could map that, thanks Carsten.

Latest News

Back