AC Mazda MX5@Brands Hatch, Wednesday 6th April 2022

Assetto Corsa Racing Club event
Tried both tonight, remembered how tough it was to get a clean consistent lap on this track!

I'm 1.1 seconds better than last year in the Audi so I am improving. :)

Enjoyed the Mazda more and can maybe switch and give Carsten a race if he doesn't get any more practice in. :)

There are no difficult corners at Brands, just a lot of awkward corners that are just not possible to get exactly right, leaving you somewhat perplexed, thinking that there is always time left on the table. So next lap you try and sort it, all that happens is you go slower.
I cannot think of a corner here that I don’t hold my breath when trying to get a maximum out of it. Perhaps the hairpin at the top of druids does not give me much of a problem., that’s it.:(

I'm 1.1 seconds better than last year in the Audi so I am improving. :)

Sounds good:thumbsup:
Enjoyed the Mazda more and can maybe switch and give Carsten a race if he doesn't get any more practice in. :)
Sorry, can´t promise that.
Work for the weekend is canceled, ( we have a slice of winter in the spring) so i have loads of time.
Motivation on the other hand......

MFG Carsten

There are no difficult corners at Brands, just a lot of awkward corners that are just not possible to get exactly right, leaving you somewhat perplexed, thinking that there is always time left on the table. So next lap you try and sort it, all that happens is you go slower......
.....or into the weeds :mad:

I feel you.

Though I improved (marginally ) since the last multiclass in B.H., I´m still way of the mark.

BTW, I shouldn´t have checked the stats from a year ago,our friendly race director was pretty quick then;)

MFG Carsten

This is going to be a hella difficult. I assume that withdrawing my raised hand in favour of BH won't make any difference so let's get into practice.

@Allan Ramsbottom a quick search on there internet led me to times that are about 4 sec. faster than my best one, not even being able to be consistent on that, and without an idea of where to find out some tenths (let alone seconds).
And with a couple of hours of practice already, I don't have much hope to get any better :redface:

Last edited:
This is going to bea hella difficult. I assume that withdrawing my raised hand in favour of BH won't make any difference so let's get into practice.

@Allan Ramsbottom a quick search on there internet led me to times that are about 4 sec. faster than my best one, not even being able to be consistent on that, and without an idea of where to find out some tenths (let alone seconds).
And with a couple of hours of practice already, I don't have any hope to get any better :redface:
Omar, there will be quite a big spread of times so don't worry.

If you are on the practice server same time as other people then I recommend watching their laps onboard to get an idea what to try.

Also, on this track keeping it off the grass is more important than ultimate pace.

BTCC -Behind the scenes part 2- Brands Hatch.

As we are racing at the Brands Hatch circuit this week I thought I would share some more memories with you of my time there in the BTCC.

At most circuits, we had to have the race transporter at the track at a specified time on the Friday in readiness for the Saturday practice and qualifying. But at Brands Hatch, due to qualifying for some of the other classes being held on Friday and because the tunnel underneath Paddock Hill bend was not big enough for the size of modern trucks, we had to be there on the Thursday afternoon to drive over the track. Once you were in, you stayed in, no rage quitting here!

The final instructions to teams were emailed to me and we were given a specific time to have the truck in the holding area, in this case 15.00 on the Thursday. If you missed that time there was a fine of £1500 for every hour you were late!! :rolleyes:
BTCC Brands 2007 005.JPG

Then all the trucks were brought in over the track at Paddock Hill Bend and all positioned in order behind the garages. The TOCA paddock official would line up the trucks and had a tape measure to ensure they were all equidistant apart and in a dead straight line.

BTCC Brands 2007 009.JPG

The trucks then had to be washed to keep up a smart appearance for the TV and public. Then it took several hours setting up the garage with flooring, wallboards, putting up the name board above the garage door, getting the fuel and tyres organised as well as setting up the TOCA cameras in the car and doing radio checks etc.

We only had a small truck and everything was in there, car, spares,wheels, garage flooring and wallboards, tools and sleeping accommodation when we ran out of money for hotels!! For perspective,the factory Vauxhall Vx Racing team’s hospitality generator truck alone was bigger than our truck! They had four x 40ft trucks for the cars, spares and accommodation plus a hospitality unit for the VIP’s and sponsors. They had a reported budget of £12m to run their two cars for the season. Ours was a lot, lot less and didn't even make six figures!
BTCC Brands 2007 010.JPG

On our tight budget,the slick tyres could be rejuvenated with a good scraping from a hot air gun and a willing team member. That’s my eldest son who was the tyre tech and he also doubled up as the fireman when the car was in the pit lane. Every tyre had a barcode assigned to each car and the Dunlop technicians would check the codes and pressures after every session. They would help with advice on how the tyres were working and what adjustments could be made to improve balance.

On the Saturday evening at 17.00, I had to attend the drivers briefing with Rick, our driver and team owner. You had to sign in to the TOCA caravan and if you were late, you guessed it, another fine. :rolleyes: Sitting alongside the likes of BTCC legends like Jason Plato, Matt Neil, Fabrizio Giovanardi, Gordan Shedden and Alain Menu was a truly surreal experience. The race director and TOCA officials would tell the teams what was expected and the drivers would also be briefed on behavior. Jason and Matt came under a lot of scrutiny as their battles were box office for TOCA but they were told in no uncertain terms to behave on more than one occasion!

BTCC Brands 2007 013.JPG

Another late night, it's after 10pm and still working on the car trying to improve speed. At least the garages at Brands were bigger than Thruxton!

BTCC Brands 2007 015.JPG

The garage doors open on race day. Seeing the grandstands full of fans was awesome and scary at the same time. The guy fifth from the left was the TOCA chief scrutineer checking if all was well and that the camera’s were working. Fourth from the left was Neil, our crew chief. Neil now works for a top GT3 team running Lamborghini's and has done many British GT3 championships as well as doing the 24hr Le Mans.

Brands Aug 07.jpg

How the car looked on the warm up before race one.

It's August in the UK and yes, it rained for the first race and then this happened.................

IMG_0020.JPG

How the car looked when it was delivered back to our garage! For such a small team with virtually no money for spares it looked all over. But with three races that day we begged, stole and borrowed parts from other teams and somehow beat the car back into a shape that the scrutineers miraculously passed fit for the final race. The marshals even brought some parts back from the scene of the incident for us to examine and use if possible. You'd be amazed at what can be done with duct tape and a large hammer!
This championship was all about putting on a show and TOCA were desperate to have as many cars on the grid for last race as the races were going out on live TV and with expensive satellite links to meet we were under pressure to make it for the 17.00 last race start time.

IMG_0021.JPG

IMG_0022.JPG

It was wet, cold and miserable but the guys really pulled together and got the car to the grid just in time. The car completed the final race, many didn't, and we were given a special award and a couple of independent team points for our efforts.

Then it was case of breaking down the garage, packing everything away and heading home.

It was a long weekend, from leaving home on Thursday and getting home in the early hours of Monday morning. Motor racing can seem to be very glamorous at the very highest level, but I can tell you it was extremely hard work and very tiring at the lower end!

But there were some highs, getting the BTCC's first ever Diesel bio fuel car to the grid, an 11th place at Rockingham, a 12th at Oulton Park and when we could afford a bit of publicity, the expensive pro model grid girl.

Zoe.jpg

Was it worth it? I'll leave that one for you guys to decide!! ;)

This is going to be a hella difficult. I assume that withdrawing my raised hand in favour of BH won't make any difference so let's get into practice.

And with a couple of hours of practice already, I don't have much hope to get any better :redface:

OIP (5).jpg

I hope you do not mind poking my nose in, I am of the opinion that being 100% reliable in a race is Sooo important, coming off too much can be so depressing, speed will come, and staying on the track is fundamental to this.
I have raced against Alan and Denis for years, constantly being whooped by many seconds a
lap, but even though I qualified near the back of the grid, by always being consistent, staying on the track and not coming off. I would often finish about the top 10, just by staying on the circuit.
In those days we had fields of more than 40+ cars.
First get reliable, ignore lap times, you will then on the back of that get quicker, you are wasting any application of skill by being too focused on the lap time, best to use your lap delta to show you how consistent you are.
Some here start with really impressive lapping ability, most of us just have to make small improvement steps, making sure to also maintain our "consistency."

I have a lot more off's now than I used to because I am now very close to my "ability" limit.

I always think of how good can I be, if I get a 100% from myself that is just as, if not more than impressive as an alien who is at 98%.

No one else sees that, they just concentrate on lap times. some notice it though.

But I know that life is just all luck, your job is to get a 100% from what you have been, little or much given.

Does anyone want to buy one of my tee shirts.

R.jpg

View attachment 554990

I hope you do not mind poking my nose in, I am of the opinion that being 100% reliable in a race is Sooo important, coming off too much can be so depressing, speed will come, and staying on the track is fundamental to this.
I have raced against Alan and Denis for years, constantly being whooped by many seconds a
lap, but even though I qualified near the back of the grid, by always being consistent, staying on the track and not coming off. I would often finish about the top 10, just by staying on the circuit.
In those days we had fields of more than 40+ cars.
First get reliable, ignore lap times, you will then on the back of that get quicker, you are wasting any application of skill by being too focused on the lap time, best to use your lap delta to show you how consistent you are.
Some here start with really impressive lapping ability, most of us just have to make small improvement steps, making sure to also maintain our "consistency."

I have a lot more off's now than I used to because I am now very close to my "ability" limit.

I always think of how good can I be, if I get a 100% from myself that is just as, if not more than impressive as an alien who is at 98%.

No one else sees that, they just concentrate on lap times. some notice it though.

But I know that life is just all luck, your job is to get a 100% from what you have been, little or much given.

Does anyone want to buy one of my tee shirts.

View attachment 554991
I hear you and appreciate your speech about consistency and speed will come,:thumbsup:, BUT:

youre typing to a bunch of men of a certain age who with all their experiences

NEVER STOP COMPARING :rolleyes:

About the T shirts:

Do they come in double elefant large ?? :sneaky:

Sooo, spend two hours of swears, tears and.... to find about 2/10.
I think I´ve hinted that " The Track That Should Not Be Named" does not hole heartedly agree with me.

Ohh, and by the way Han, the Internet remembers you driving this track about a year ago and you were faster than anything I´ve seen up to now. So get out of your compensator AUDI and join the Boys for a little scrap ;)

And now I´ll find myself a sympathetic nurse to patch up all my track cuts :cry:

MFG Carsten

Last edited:
you were faster than anything I´ve seen up to now
Really? Is this fast?
1648932384546.png

Actually I did a few laps when there were others practicing but I was far off their pace.

So get out of your compensator AUDI and join the Boys for a little scrap ;)
No way, the only fun that I will have in this event, is to scare the pants off you! And Allan!

Last edited:
I'm thinking about the track limits here. Especially at the corner exits (Graham Hill Bend).
I can see the next shitstorm coming for me. :confused:
Don´t worry too much, especially in the "Benny Hill" bend track limits are quite lenient, not only in AC but also irl.
You can use four wheel on the rumble stones and even two wheel even further in the grass without getting hit with a track cut.
The marshalls only intervene when you stay out to long before Surtees.

These "free track extensions" a k a rumble stones are also quite usefull at Westfield and Sheene´s, but there they have an eye on you :geek:. If you overdo it you get slapped with a track cut. ( Don´t ask how I know )

MFG Carsten

Latest News

Back