Is VR dead?

• Thread starter Deleted member 197115
  • Start date
  • Deleted member 197115

Guys! try the new Half-life ALyx ;)
Zero interest, by far prefer 2D shooters. This genre just doesn't work in VR. Wish they made flat screen version.
Killing my time with BL3 and Doom Eternal.

Zero interest, by far prefer 2D shooters. This genre just doesn't work in VR. Wish they made flat screen version.
Killing my time with BL3 and Doom Eternal.

Up until now I would have agreed with you, and this is coming from a die hard VR head, but HL Alyx is a total and utter game changer. So far the vast majority of VR shooter games seem to have started out being designed from a flat screen perspective and then had VR thrown at them - this mostly doesn't work well at all.

HL Alyx was designed from the ground up to be a VR game and by god does it show.

I do get where the VR naysayers are coming from - headsets are too bulky and uncomfortable, resolution too low, too demanding on hardware etc. Personally I can easily overlook these current shortcomings for the level of immersion that it gives me, but I do understand those who can't.

However the technology is still in a maturing process. Gen 2 devices are likely to be released within the next year to 18 months. Plus game devs are beginning to understand how to design specifically for VR, and are realising for the most part that you can't just take a flat game and throw VR at it.

Within 5 years VR will stand side by side with flat gaming and people will alternate depending on the game being played - not all games are suited to VR, and not all VR games will be meaningfully playable on flat screen. HMDs will become cheaper and lighter, and the graphics horsepower need to drive them will become more financially accessible - no more needing a $1000+ GPU for acceptable performance.

These are exciting times for us, the gamers.

Last edited:
Up until now I would have agreed with you, and this is coming from a die hard VR head, but HL Alyx is a total and utter game changer. So far the vast majority of VR shooter games seem to have started out being designed from a flat screen perspective and then had VR thrown at them - this mostly doesn't work well at all.

HL Alyx was designed from the ground up to be a VR game and by god does it show.

I do get where the VR naysayers are coming from - headsets are too bulky and uncomfortable, resolution too low, too demanding on hardware etc. Personally I can easily overlook these current shortcomings for the level of immersion that it gives me, but I do understand those who can't.

However the technology is still in a maturing process. Gen 2 devices are likely to be released within the next year to 18 months. Plus game devs are beginning to understand how to design specifically for VR, and are realising for the most part that you can't just take a flat game and throw VR at it.

Within 5 years VR will stand side by side with flat gaming and people will alternate depending on the game being played - not all games are suited to VR, and not all VR games will be meaningfully playable on flat screen. HMDs will become cheaper and lighter, and the graphics horsepower need to drive them will become more financially accessible - no more needing a $1000+ GPU for acceptable performance.

These are exciting times for us, the gamers.

Absolutely! This is the very first very serious AAA game that really delivers on the VR promise.

Half-Life Alyx is quite an experience!

If you tried out Valve's "The Lab" it gave us an idea of what they could do especially with the Valve Index, but despite my being optimistic about Half-Life Alex, I was more impressed than I expected. The detail is beyond what I was expecting.

I like how they start the game in a non-rushed way where you can look around, take your time and interact with everything. I pulled up the antenna on the radio in the opening balcony and spent a chunk of time just trying things. How things worked is very intuitive.

Back the the HP MS Valve collaboration.

The speculations sound interesting. It looks like it will have base station tracking for hard core room scale people, BUT may still have inside out tracking for people who have different needs or who would like a less expensive option. Add the off ear audio and better comfort. That sounds like a great start!

It will be interesting to see the end results and apparently a new Oculus headset underdevelopment had it's code name leaked. No biggie there. I'm sure everyone knew they were still working on new headsets.

Totally agree, Half Life Alyx is amazing.

To me the game is perfect.

The graphics, the vibe, the detail and the controls are all the best i have seen so far and i'm still amazed how good this game actually is.

While playing Alyx, i never felt the need for better or clearer graphics. It all feels so polished. It really exceeded all my expectations.

I'm playing the game at 90fps and 150% SS with ultra settings and it runs like a dream.

Have to admit I'm loving it, I'm at a really scary bit, in the darkness and can't shoot the things on the ceiling because of all the petrol cans and barrels everywhere, atmosphere is amazing :)

Have to admit I'm loving it, I'm at a really scary bit, in the darkness and can't shoot the things on the ceiling because of all the petrol cans and barrels everywhere, atmosphere is amazing :)

I got so spooked that I saved my place and decided I would build up some courage and get back in later. LOL! Going for a hike in the mountains away from everyone for a while. It's also a lot less claustrophobic!

I have to admit that even watching some of the videos in 2D flatscreen its easy to imagine how fabulous it must be in VR.:thumbsup:
hehe come on Pimax get your things together:roflmao:

VR just keeps getting better and better.

I spent about 150 hours in Eve Valkyrie a space fighter game.
I've got about 300 hours playing "In Death"
I've got a lot of hours playing Beat Saber

Now playing Half Life Alyx

I've stayed away from Elite Dangerous. That goes so deep and wide and I've seen people spend thousands of hours in it which is enough for me to stay clear of it.

I've enjoyed a lot of other titles:
Robo Recall
The Climb
Space Pirate Trainers
Super Hot

Wow! playing piano in VR.

...I've stayed away from Elite Dangerous. That goes so deep and wide and I've seen people spend thousands of hours in it which is enough for me to stay clear of it.

It's not necessary to spend thousands of hours in ED, or even a 50 hours to be honest. It's wide, but not particularly deep. It's a sandbox really - you decide what you want to do with it. I basically treat it as Euro Truck Simulator in space when I want a bit of space VR action, and occasionally do a bit of bounty hunting.

It's worth it just for the experience in VR. Just make sure you play offline solo mode as online Elite is basically full of arseholes.

It's not necessary to spend thousands of hours in ED, or even a 50 hours to be honest. It's wide, but not particularly deep. It's a sandbox really - you decide what you want to do with it. I basically treat it as Euro Truck Simulator in space when I want a bit of space VR action, and occasionally do a bit of bounty hunting.

It's worth it just for the experience in VR. Just make sure you play offline solo mode as online Elite is basically full of arseholes.

I have a ship, but I never left the hangar.
I got a copy of VoiceAttack specifically for this game and have never used it yet.

Latest News

What is your next sim related purchase

• DLC

Votes: 176 25.4%
  • Full game

Votes: 175 25.3%
  • CPU

Votes: 81 11.7%
  • Graphics card

Votes: 122 17.6%
  • Other PC related hardware

Votes: 78 11.3%