Maybe we do not really need a GTR3?
I don't think it's about "which class the game will have", but how feature-complete it will be and how consistent the game will be.

Think about it, when GTR2 launched it had:

- All the cars from the GT1 series;
- All the tracks, some even laser-scanned I presume;
- Animated pit crew;
- Night;
- Rain;
- Engineer that talks to you;
- A driving school;
- Animated flag marshals;
- Two seasons of the GT1 series, the 2003 and 2004

No sim has ever achieved this level com consistency and completeness to this day. The forumla for most sims after GTR2 was basically to throw some GT cars, some F1 cars, sometimes even a delivery truck, some tracks, and call it a day.

Now with ACC we will have what sim fans have been asking for 12 years: everything that GTR2 delivered, but with updated physics, graphics, sounds, multiplayer/competitive licenses, and so on.

So yes, ACC is the spiritual successor for GTR2 in my opinion :)

Cheers.

GTR2 was definitely a milestone in racing games, you could even save mid race.
Go back 6 or 7 years before that to the Toca series, Toca 2 not only had the correct cars, drivers and tracks it had the support series as well and if I remember correctly when you picked your car it was your name on the window.
Hopefully ACC will come close.

ACC isn't even out and if it is based on AC then there will be one car physics with different names and textures which I guess would be fine for GT3.

Do not forget what made Gtr2 a success was not only a very complete sim but also the fact that it could be modded.

Think about it, when GTR2 launched it had:
- All the tracks, some even laser-scanned I presume;

I very much doubt that any track in GTR2 was laser scanned. Back in 2004/05 laser scanning wasnt very common at all in racing games. I think the only one that actually did at that time was Gran Turismo. Not sure when Forza started scanning, whether they began with Forza 2, 3, or 4.

Even GTR2's successor, Race 07, didnt have any laser scanned tracks. And that was in development as recently as 2011 or so.

I agree with the other points you mention though ;)

I very much doubt that any track in GTR2 was laser scanned
I'm not sure which technique they used, but Spa is one track that is extremely precise in elevations and cambers, something I've never seen in 2006.

On the left, GTR2 and it's default Spa.
On the right, rFactor 2 with the ripped Spa.

Even GTR2's successor, Race 07, didnt have any laser scanned tracks
Wasn't their Nurburgring scanned in some form?

• Deleted member 13397

i would be satisfied if they take GTR2 and give it better gfx, keep it modable
(plus better netcode, better AI or also modable like in Racer) give it BOTs like in R07
then i drop AC & PC & AMS & rf2

there won't be any GTR3 or something new from Simbin.
the only good new is AC competizione.
Raceroom try to sold their tracks and to survive, but we all know ACC will take everyone.
and GTR3 will never exist.

Latest News

What is your next sim related purchase

• DLC

Votes: 126 27.9%
  • Full game

Votes: 106 23.5%
  • CPU

Votes: 55 12.2%
  • Graphics card

Votes: 82 18.2%
  • Other PC related hardware