AMS2 GT1s @ Kyalami, Friday 17th June, 2022

Automobilista 2 Racing Club event
That's interesting. I know others have noted the Merc being quicker previously, but this track is noted for its high altitude and I remember someone mentioning before that AMS2 uses it in the sim. The Merc is NA, whereas the Porsche is Turbo, so I wonder if that has something to do with it? Pretty neat if it does, but I doubt it matters a huge amount at my ability level anyway, so I'm going to try out the Merc and see what drives the best as the Porsche feels unusually disconnected on my setup, even at 100% FFB (I know it shouldn't matter, but trying to wrestle the car with one hand and upshift with the other is part of the fun :D )
Yeah me too.. take it with a pinch of salt for now. I will have a proper go in the Merc and see. I am just using default setups too so a few variables in play yet. My time is currently 3rd but 1 second slower than the WR. I reckon I can find half of that delta but so far I keep losing the gains in sector 3, especially the crocodiles which I cannot get the right braking trail into yet.

Last edited:
It will be a staight up race. Pit or not, it's up to you and how big the fuel tank is.
I think you will be able to carry enough fuel but not sure about the tyres in this sim. I see it has different options if you unselect automatic. Might be car dependant but mine barely seemed to wear last night in the F3 cars over 25 mins and still had what felt like full grip right till the end even on the warmer track. Maybe they fall of a cliff very quickly and 30 mins in on Friday I will find myself meeting the barriers.

We used to run x2 for fuel & tyres and most cars were fine but some - V12, Indy Car, V8s absolutely destroyed their tyres after about 10 laps. These new tyres ingame are supposedly better in terms or wear and grip. I find that after about 9-10 laps the grip starts to go even as the tyre hud shows about90%+ left on the wear. They will overheat if you abuse them. However, We will leave the fuel/tyre settings as is on X1, so it's up to the driver to choose to run full fuel or half and pit for fuel later.

Yeah me too.. take it with a pinch of salt for now. I will have a proper go in the Merc and see. I am just using default setups too so a few variables in play yet. My time is currently 3rd but 1 second slower than the WR. I reckon I can find half of that delta but so far I keep losing the gains in sector 3, especially the crocodiles which I cannot get the right braking trail into yet.
The main problem with these cars is massive understeer. For the Merc I could solve this on most tracks by decreasing the front anti-roll bar and front springs. On this track I'm less thrilled about those changes and still struggling finding a good setup.

It's so nice to see another Friday night AMS2 event. I won't be around for this one due to pre-planned outdoor drinking in the heatwave but if this is the start of a regular slot I'm already looking forward to next week :D Have a good race guys

Latest News

Back