AMS2 GT1s @ Kyalami, Friday 17th June, 2022

Automobilista 2 Racing Club event

Redvaliant

AMS2 Club Staff
Club Staff
Premium
Race-RD.GT1.jpg

Friday night racing is back this week with the mighty GT1s and a 40 minute race around Kyalami.
Join us as we put these powerful, non assists, no-holds-barred prototypes to the test at the fast, technical sweeps of modern Kyalami.

Wether you are new to simracing or a seasoned veteran, this is a race open to all skill levels and we want to race you, so join us by signing yourself up in the comments below.

Server Name: Racedepartment.com #2 GT1
Server Password: brit
Server Settings: open setups, factory settings, light cloud
Track: Kyalami 2019
Cars: Mercedes, Porsche and McLaren GT1
Discord: Join us on the #Automobilista-2 voice chat during the event. Join our Discord here and check out the #read-this-first how to setup and syncronize your premium account.
Rules: Read or watch our racing club rules

Time Table

Practice: 19:00 UTC / 20:00 BST / 21:00 CEST (30 minutes) Join whenever you want during practice
Qualifying: 19:30 UTC / 20:30 BST / 21:30 CEST (15 minutes)
Race: 19:45 UTC / 20:45 BST / 21:45 CEST (40 minutes)
20220610140548_1.jpg

Entry List
  1. Redvaliant
  2. GeekyDeaks
  3. Paul Glover
  4. jimortality
  5. nepal roade
  6. T1MKO
  7. Kryztov
  8. Ramon van Rijn
  9. Fiberoptix
  10. Kees Veenstra
  11. Munkyboo
  12. *Smidgey
  13. brc19
  14. Bhutch88
  15. Free Spot
  16. Free Spot
  17. Free Spot
  18. Free Spot
  19. Free Spot
  20. Free Spot
  21. Free Spot
  22. Free Spot
  23. Free Spot
  24. Free Spot
  25. Free Spot

Last edited:
Anyone tried different cars to see how they fare? The GT1 McLaren is my go-to for offline no-brainer fun. Last time at Donington, I was quite a way off the pace in the dry with it, but fortunately, it held it's own in the rain. I got up to speed with it at Kyalami this afternoon and then jumped in the Porsche just to kill the last few minutes of my break and was almost 2s quicker straight off the bat.... Wondering if I'm simply pants in the McLaren or they really are nowhere near BoP'd?

Anyone tried different cars to see how they fare? The GT1 McLaren is my go-to for offline no-brainer fun. Last time at Donington, I was quite a way off the pace in the dry with it, but fortunately, it held it's own in the rain. I got up to speed with it at Kyalami this afternoon and then jumped in the Porsche just to kill the last few minutes of my break and was almost 2s quicker straight off the bat.... Wondering if I'm simply pants in the McLaren or they really are nowhere near BoP'd?

I found the same going from the Porsche into the Merc at donny, the Merc is clearly the faster of the three. For me anyway.

The merc has a dirty windscreen issue - at least for me, with the historic skins. There is a film over the windscreen that, in low light, direct sunlight, makes the screen almost opaque. The actual factory Mercs seem to suffer less than the other liveries so maybe it's a problem with the optional skins. Anyway, it's the fastest car but the other two handle a bit better.

I found the same going from the Porsche into the Merc at donny, the Merc is clearly the faster of the three. For me anyway.
Boo.... I really like the FFB in the McLaren as the Porsche feels a bit numb in comparison. I might try the Merc out later in the week and see if that is ok.

I seem to remember that this is what happened to the series in real life. The McLaren dominated for a bit, then Porsche came along with a turbo charged missile. I don't recall much about the Merc though

The merc has a dirty windscreen issue - at least for me, with the historic skins. There is a film over the windscreen that, in low light, direct sunlight, makes the screen almost opaque. The actual factory Mercs seem to suffer less than the other liveries so maybe it's a problem with the optional skins. Anyway, it's the fastest car but the other two handle a bit better.
I wondered why I had a dirty screen again when I thought I'd solved that. thanks, shame as it is a nice pack of skins for the merc, but in real life if I'd had a dirty screen like in the game, I'd pull over and wash it by hand! I think I had a bit of an issue with dirty screens in real life. :whistling:

I don't know which I'll use this race as I like them all for their own unique experience.

I set some times in the Porsche with the default setup in TT mode. Not tried the others in the trials but I experimented briefly with the Mercedes in a practise session and it felt similar pace although I did more laps in the Porsche. The Mclaren definitely felt slower for me by about 1 second. From my own quick testing using the default settings, I would say the Porsche is the fastest on this track.

Last edited:
From my own quick testing using the default settings, I would say the Porsche is the fastest on this track.
That's interesting. I know others have noted the Merc being quicker previously, but this track is noted for its high altitude and I remember someone mentioning before that AMS2 uses it in the sim. The Merc is NA, whereas the Porsche is Turbo, so I wonder if that has something to do with it? Pretty neat if it does, but I doubt it matters a huge amount at my ability level anyway, so I'm going to try out the Merc and see what drives the best as the Porsche feels unusually disconnected on my setup, even at 100% FFB (I know it shouldn't matter, but trying to wrestle the car with one hand and upshift with the other is part of the fun :D )

Latest News

Back