AC Classic Cars: Lotus 25@Bremgarten, Tue 11th July 2023

Assetto Corsa Racing Club event
That was a great race yesterday. I love racing these old cars around historic tracks so much!

Qualified on pole with a good lap, not overly aggressive but carried enough speed through the corners. Still quite close to Allan, good battle there!

I went a bit too sideways at the start and had to let go off the throttle and that allowed Allan to get ahead. I followed him closely for a few laps, he then missed that last turn before the pit-straight and I got in front. I had about a 3 second gap but Allan was pushing hard behind. I don't know if he had a full fuel tank like me or not. He got within a second and made another small mistake and the gap was back to 3 seconds. Then suddenly he dropped back for about 20 seconds. I wasn't sure if he crashed or pitted. So I basically didn't know if I was still racing anyone so I kept pushing but making sure to keep it on the track. In the end I won with a 50 second gap to P2.. It could have been a battle with Allan all race long, that would have been fun. Thanks for organizing these!

Here is my qualifying lap of 2'22.4 if anyone is interested, the bunny in front is Allan :)

Last edited:
I watch the race reports of these events with great interest. Firstly to see if there are any major issues with the track, and secondly to see what the lap times are like and if I would have been competitive even in the slightest. A quick look at my own results show that my best time is a 2:25.7, so it's probably just as well that I didn't try and participate lat night :(

I watch the race reports of these events with great interest. Firstly to see if there are any major issues with the track, and secondly to see what the lap times are like and if I would have been competitive even in the slightest. A quick look at my own results show that my best time is a 2:25.7, so it's probably just as well that I didn't try and participate lat night :(
That lap time is fine. You're more than welcome to join us. Look out for Felbergring soon:)

Out of interest, what is your go-to car when designing the tracks? The Lotus 25 is just perfect on this one.

David, I started in P12, my very best lap was a 25.0 and average 27.9 which was well off the leading pace but gave me a fourth place as those ahead (and behind) fell foul of your devilish work :devilish::D. So you would have been competitive if you can stay out of trouble so please feel free to join this very friendly group.

I have said it before and so have many here, genius work fella, hats off to you, well done all who finished and thanks Han and Colin for setting up and hosting.:thumbsup:

Last edited:
Eek, sorry, I didn't want to discourage anyone by posting it, rather the opposite.

I drove a 2.26/27... And I like to think I'm competitive... :(;):laugh:

As Paul said, at tracks like these in these cars, staying on track can make a works of difference. Like Paul, I gained some free places yesterday from others of, but unlike Paul, I think, I have then all back throughout the race with my own offs :laugh:

Thanks for hosting this Colin and everyone else for showing up. Tough work in these cars, but it's rewarding when you get it right and I think it helps one drive other, easier cars, faster.

That lap time is fine. You're more than welcome to join us. Look out for Felbergring soon:)

Out of interest, what is your go-to car when designing the tracks? The Lotus 25 is just perfect on this one.
Sounds like you had a great time, which is always great to read. My go-to car when I first test out a track is the Praga R1 - bearing in mind that at the very begining of the process, the 'track' is little more than a ribbon of tarmac / grass verge floating in thin air. I need something that is easy to drive and has plenty of grip to help keep me on the 'road'.

Once it's more like a track that you'd recognise, my favourite test cars are the Maserati 250F, Lotus 49, Lotus 25, Porsche 718 RS60 and the KTM X-Bow R. All those cars give me a good idea of how the road surface feels, how the grip levels are, and are all fun to drive. No point testing with high d/f cars as they just give you an unrealistic idea of the track, imo.

I would have loved to have joined last night, but it's really hard to find the time, plus I'm so rusty as a racer these days. I think I'd have been more of a nuisance than anything else, but thanks for the offer :)

Sounds like you had a great time, which is always great to read. My go-to car when I first test out a track is the Praga R1 - bearing in mind that at the very begining of the process, the 'track' is little more than a ribbon of tarmac / grass verge floating in thin air. I need something that is easy to drive and has plenty of grip to help keep me on the 'road'.

Once it's more like a track that you'd recognise, my favourite test cars are the Maserati 250F, Lotus 49, Lotus 25, Porsche 718 RS60 and the KTM X-Bow R. All those cars give me a good idea of how the road surface feels, how the grip levels are, and are all fun to drive. No point testing with high d/f cars as they just give you an unrealistic idea of the track, imo.

I would have loved to have joined last night, but it's really hard to find the time, plus I'm so rusty as a racer these days. I think I'd have been more of a nuisance than anything else, but thanks for the offer :)
beautiful work indeed on these tracks. i'm just now being introduced to the tracks you've created, and i must say, i've been mightily impressed so far! excellent flow, level of detail is amazing, and they look beautiful at day or night. love the little buildings and villages sprinkled along the way.

as for lap times: let's just say i'm in the 'leisurely drive through the countryside' category, but i keep at it anyway. everyone here is just looking to have some fun at simracing and as others have said, would love to have you join us as your schedule permits.

in any event, big thanks for your efforts and contributions.

I thought i would look at Colin, Robert, Richard and obviously my lap and compare it to Laurents lap. ( too much time on my hands )
All it taught me was that it is so fractional they all look the same, I could not see anything that made me say , yes that is were the time is.:)
Unless someone can add something that eluded me,
My personal criticism is I just cannot get a reliable turn in. so I am going to come off at some point.
So you have to admire Allan and Laurents ability too control that part of the physics, and then do it every lap.:):)

I thought i would look at Colin, Robert, Richard and obviously my lap and compare it to Laurents lap. ( too much time on my hands )
All it taught me was that it is so fractional they all look the same, I could not see anything that made me say , yes that is were the time is.:)
My personal criticism is I just cannot get a reliable turn in. so I am going to come off at some point.
So you have to admire Allan and Laurents ability too control that part of the physics, and then do it every lap.:):)
I think getting on the throttle early, keeping the revs up and carrying as much speed as you can through the corners is key when driving old cars. Getting them slightly sideways in corner entry and be on the throttle as soon as you can, especially with these looooong straights afterwards. Too sideways and you lose time. Other than that the general rules apply of course : correct driving lines, use all the track etc.

When I didn't get a corner right I would lose 3-4 tenths. Also keep in mind that it is a long track so differences are going to be bigger as well.

Last edited:
I think you really need the Motec file to analyse it in detail. If Laurent has such a thing then I could have a look...

I think you really need the Motec file to analyse it in detail. If Laurent has such a thing then I could have a look...
I only bothered with telemetry one or twice over the years.. I could do it if you want it but I would need you to point me in the right direction. What to download etc. I have no time for it tonight so probably tomorrow or the day after.

I think getting on the throttle early, keeping the revs up and carrying as much speed as you can through the corners is key when driving old cars. Getting them slightly sideways in corner entry and be on the throttle as soon as you can, especially with these looooong straights afterwards. Too sideways and you lose time. Other than that the general rules apply of course : correct driving lines, use all the track etc.

When I didn't get a corner right I would lose 3-4 tenths. Also keep in mind that it is a long track so differences are going to be bigger as well.
Very nice pole lap!

You seem to be on the power on the apex. I suspect that's where we are losing time - to fast into the corner and not possible to get the power on quick enough.

I only bothered with telemetry one or twice over the years.. I could do it if you want it but I would need you to point me in the right direction. What to download etc. I have no time for it tonight so probably tomorrow or the day after.
It's all a bit of a pain to set up. I keep it running all the time so I have the data if I ever need it. I thought you might already have it set up so probably not worth the bother for just me.

Did you do much to the car setup? I only change the tyre temp and gearing and that was it! I then just tried to adapt to whatever the car did.

However, if you're interested then the setup guide and software is here...

It's all a bit of a pain to set up. I keep it running all the time so I have the data if I ever need it. I thought you might already have it set up so probably not worth the bother for just me.

Did you do much to the car setup? I only change the tyre temp and gearing and that was it! I then just tried to adapt to whatever the car did.
Going on the power on the apex will be it indeed.

I'm not using telemetry, I often think I should, but I don't even bother much with setup.

Well, I believe the setup I used is the one that Reik actually shared when we raced at Battenbergring. I saw it in my folders and loaded that one. So credits go to him. It's just the right amount of loose for me. I didn't change it for this race.

Last edited:
Going on the power on the apex will be it indeed.

I'm not using telemetry, I often think I should, but I don't even bother much with setup.

Well, I believe the setup I used is the one that Reik actually shared when we raced at Battenbergring. I saw it in my folders and loaded that one. So credits go to him. It's just the right amount of loose for me. I didn't change it for this race.
Imagine how good you'd be if you put some effort in to it :)

Old fashioned positive camber for turn in on setup. No brakes when turning (tuff not to but will plow on if you do) and the old classic slow in fast out and on the gas early plus not a very loose rear. I was no where near as fast as Laurent and when i look at the times i did they were nothing special and i guess my result is more to do with making less mistakes than others rather than speed being faster. I think for mortals like most of us it is all about having the car tied down to the road which it does not do without a lot of work. I really like the car, it stops me from over driving which i tend to do when i get tired or lack concentration. There is no chance of that with the 25 so i guess it might be good for my racecraft. Anyway, i had a ball. Found myself at the back of the field before the first corner after Thomas and i had contact, i didn't panic and just worked my way back profiting from others mistakes mostly and then had a brilliant battle with Richard which was nice for a change as he is usually way up the road from me. Very happy with the outcome from my hours of practice and i think i might be finishing in a different place on the next race from what feedback i am getting from the next track. Thanks Colin and Han for putting it all together. Until next time :thumbsup:

Latest News

Back