Seeking typical rig viewing distances so I can judge monitor ppi

I know there’s a potential truckload of variation for this value, but if anyone happens to know the physical viewing distance between their eyes and their (center) monitor I would appreciate hearing it. Feel free to throw in anything additional you may want. Screen size. In front or behind wheelbase. Etc…

I’m in the “on paper” planning stages for my first rig and considering my options for for a single monitor which is all I have space for. Here in the U.S. we have the MSI MAG401QR available to us. It’s a 40 inch 3440x1440 panel so somewhat low ppi. I should hopefully be able to view the monitor myself at a Microcenter and want to make sure I’m at least somewhere in the ballpark of a typical rig viewing distance when I judge this monitor’s ppi in person.

If you want to throw out alternatives to the MSI, feel free but I have some pretty strict criteria that seems to rule out nearly every other monitor option I've looked into.
a) I will never have space for triples any time in the foreseeable future. So no “placeholder until triples” or “add two more later” for me.
b) I can’t afford something like a Samsung G9 and don’t have space to acoomodate its width even if I could.
c) I do not want anything based on a VA panel

As you said, there are many variations because of personal preferences and space constraints.
I´d guesstimate the distance would vary between 60 to 80cm, 24 to32inch.
My center screen (of three) is aprox 70cm from my eyes, 28inches.

I have the screen behind the wheelbase and the wheel rather close to my shoulders.
With 27#1080p screens I can see the pixels on desktop, but text is perfectly legible and it doesn´t distract me while racing.

With the height of the 27#/16x9 the wheel would fit under the screen with horizontal centerline in eye height, not shure about your 40# (but probably not)

I once switched from a 1080p Samsung HG90 to a similar 49" with 1440p, but slower response times. The difference between 1 ms and 4 ms response time was noticeable, while I almost couldn't see a benefit of the 1440p while gaming, even both are quite close to my eyes. Certainly Windows with small fontsizes look better with higher PPI display, but games more benefit from higher framerates, refresh-rates and fast pixel response times.

Last edited:
My eyes are about 37cm away from my center 27" IPS monitor. I do run triples now but never changed my FOV since I was using a single monitor. I do sacrifice a little arm extension for being so close but it doesnt bother me at all.

Monitor is between wheel base and wheel.

Belated thanks to those who chimed in.

I actually ended up ordering the MSI monitor site unseen from Best Buy. They had it on sale for a bit cheaper than Microcenter which is about an hour away from me compared to 15 minutes for Best Buy.

If I factored in the cost of gas for a trip to Microcenter along with the Best Buy sale savings, then I basically ended up getting the monitor with BB’s replacement plan for “free” at roughly the same overall cost to me as if I had purchased the display at Microcenter.

Thanks again to those who replied. The responses did help push me over any lingering concerns I had about needing to see the monitor in person before purchasing.

Latest News

To join the OverTake Racing Club races I want them to be: (multiple choice)

• Free to access

Votes: 95 91.3%
  • Better structured events

Votes: 17 16.3%
  • Better structured racing club forum

Votes: 16 15.4%
  • More use of default game content

Votes: 12 11.5%
  • More use of fixed setups

Votes: 29 27.9%
  • No 3rd party registration pages

Votes: 36 34.6%