rF2 Toyota Racing Series @ Highlands - Mon 22nd August 2022

rFactor 2 Racing Club event
I'm still struggling trying to see where I'm going.. :( but have tried to practice a little with a non halo tatuus. Helped a fair bit. What sort of times are you guys managing In the FT-60 , I'm not finding these easy. :barefoot:
When you join the server for practice later this evening, I will send you the setup I have which will be quicker than the default one. When in practice, while not on track I'd always suggest watching live and going onboard with the faster drivers and see where they are driving and braking to get a good idea of what gear to take corners in, where to slow down and what line to take. You'll go out and try those lines and yes, some just won't work for you, but some will and it will help you.

As for the Halo, I did 10 laps yesterday and only saw it once in the whole stint. Once you start driving you won't ever be looking directly ahead or concentrating there, so it will be less of an issue.

When you join the server for practice later this evening, I will send you the setup I have which will be quicker than the default one. When in practice, while not on track I'd always suggest watching live and going onboard with the faster drivers and see where they are driving and braking to get a good idea of what gear to take corners in, where to slow down and what line to take. You'll go out and try those lines and yes, some just won't work for you, but some will and it will help you.

As for the Halo, I did 10 laps yesterday and only saw it once in the whole stint. Once you start driving you won't ever be looking directly ahead or concentrating there, so it will be less of an issue.
Thanks mate. All great help. I will give what you outline a try. Ta for the setup. I am using 10% transparency, just wish you could use a little more, 50% might be good. The cars are great. Although still struggling with the wheel settings in software and in game with my new fanatec wheel and base. Went over to New pedals about a month back and I'm very happy with the new ones. At this rate I will soon be the best slow driver in the world. Just like Mr Magoo. :)

Last edited:
Thanks for racing everyone, good fun! Struggled with the setup for a long time until I finally got the understeer out of the car (had mainly way too much rear wing which seemed to create the understeer no matter what else I changed, especially in the fast corners).
Struggled to get a good lap in in quali and for some reason the last and by far best one didn't count (didn't see no message whatsoever).
"Surprise rolling start by Ole ®" ;) went ok and I found myself going side by side into T1 with @AlB_3010. Luckily a split second before I felt I need to lift he did so I got ahead. Tried to pull a gap without burning too much rubber but Alberto kept close until his car started burning :( Was a just a matter of bringing it home after that.
Race 2 went surprisingly well considering the extra weight. Had a good start but got squeezed to the grass and couldn't gain anything. Tried to avoid a crash in front a few corners later but got hit a bit and ended up in the grass. Pretty flawless race after that going through the field. Gap to Alberto was a bit too big though, could cut it down to 3.3 secs in the end but a few mistakes lost too much to get into striking distance. Grats mate, great drive!

Thanks for bearing with me while I sorted out Race 2. The rolling start we had in Race 1 was unexpected and the massive pace difference between everyone made Race 1 pretty boring as we all spread out, so I wanted to do something to spice up race 2.

Success Ballast was a spur-of-the-moment decision with weights added arbitrarily, so I had no idea how much it would affect us all. The grid needed shuffling and that seemed to not work once we got into the race, hence the restart again to get that working. Then it was a case of try to get the point across that we will do a standing start anyway (which was hilarious to watch us all trying to line up in grid slots :roflmao: ) and get Alberto to type it all in the chat.

In the end though, the Reverse grid and ballasted Race 2 felt much better as we were closer and had chances to race other drivers.

It was an odd night really. The car and track were both quality and suited each other, but this track was very tricky. Lots of corners and tough to master some of the sections. It felt like a tiny mistake or not learning a certain section or corner could lose you half a second without even knowing why. Dirty air around the long right-hander also spread us all out. That was a shame, but a good lesson for me in terms of circuit and car choice. I reckon this track would be epic in historic touring cars or similar. Perhaps something to try in the future. Still, I'll come up with something nice and historic for next race anyway :confused:

Well I enjoyed myself which is the main thing.. was a bit confused with the start in race 1. Did the warm up/ out lap expecting to re grid... then heard the go,go,go.. message, wasn't quite sure what to do so watched everyone else go,go,go. Luckily for me I was at the back anyway :thumbsup:. Race 2 was a little better, but during I think the 1st or 2nd lap I clipped a car, think it was Edward. So pulled over and waited but didn't see what happened to him. By then I was so far behind and pretty knackered after a full practice, Race 1 and some qualifying sessions I decided I had by now done enough.

Thanks Jimlaad for the setup. Was excellent. Obviously not a great deal away from std, but boy was it easier to steer. I was struggling to dial out the horrendous understeer the car had. This setup was brilliant.
All wasn't lost, as a rfactor2 newbie and new to RD I'm improving all the time. Such as, during the various sessions and the race improved my PB by over 6 seconds. Was staying with the other cars for a fair bit of the circuit. I know I need to carry more speed through the corners, but what suprised me was the way everyone just left me for dead on leaving the tighter turns. Tried 2nd gear and I couldn't stay with them. 3rd car and the car bogged down.
But it's great to be learning and improving. That's what makes it fun. And it was.
Thanks for racing guys and all the help and advice, plus the cracking setup. Mucho appreciated.

Last edited:
Well I enjoyed myself which is the main thing.. was a bit confused with the start in race 1. Did the warm up/ out lap expecting to re grid... then heard the go,go,go.. message, wasn't quite sure what to do so watched everyone else go,go,go. Luckily for me I was at the back anyway :thumbsup:. Race 2 was a little better, but during I think the 1st or 2nd lap I clipped a car, think it was Edward. So pulled over and waited but didn't see what happened to him. By then I was so far behind and pretty knackered after a full practice, Race 1 and some qualifying sessions I decided I had by now done enough.

Thanks Jimlaad for the setup. Was excellent. Obviously not a great deal away from std, but boy was it easier to steer. I was struggling to dial out the horrendous understeer the car had. This setup was brilliant.
All wasn't lost, as a rfactor2 newbie and new to RD I'm improving all the time. Such as, during the various sessions and the race improved my PB by over 6 seconds. Was staying with the other cars for a fair bit of the circuit. I know I need to carry more speed through the corners, but what suprised me was the way everyone just left me for dead on leaving the tighter turns. Tried 2nd gear and I couldn't stay with them. 3rd car and the car bogged down.
But it's great to be learning and improving. That's what makes it fun. And it was.
Thanks for racing guys and all the help and advice, plus the cracking setup. Mucho appreciated.
That's great to hear. Keep turning up to events and you'll soon catch up to us.

After that contact in Race 2 I got back last you pretty quickly, so nothing was a problem, it was just a shame you didn't see me then and missed out on keeping up with us.

The car by default doesn't usually have a lot of understeer, this leads me to think you were trying to carry too much speed into corners or using too much steering angle. My advice always for being a bit behind the times is to sit in the pits and go onboard with one of the quick guys and just watch them do a few laps.
First thing to pick up is what gear they are taking the corners in. If you're taking a corner in 3rd but everyone else is in 5th, you need to carry more speed, if you're aiming for 3rd but everyone else is in 2nd, then you're trying too fast. Start picking up on braking points and watch your replay to see if you are before or after that. When copying someone's braking point, always start by braking a bit before that and working your way forwards until it's too far.

Next week will be a bit less technical of a circuit and car, so hopefully it'll be an opportunity to catch up to us.

The setup was very very important in this one. I only realized when Dean was half a second faster just in sector one, so basically the fast long right hander, that I need to work on the setup. I found the car to have a lot of understeer. Changed all that I knew should help, lowered front, raised rear, high front wing, low rear wing, soft front dampers, stiff rears, etc. It ended up being kind of extreme and I'm pretty sure the cars I usually drive like the GT3 / GTE / LMP2 would spin every other corner with something like that but this car seemed really rear stable. Took me like an hour of practise and Deans help to get it to something that felt ok just before quali. It was crucial though, a bit too much understeer and you loose a ton in that one corner alone.
If anyone's interested, here is what I ended up using: https://www.transferxl.com/download/08vzcK97sXGn0j
Worked alright though maybe ride height was a bit too low, watching the replay I created loads of sparks going a bit faster and breaking into corners so the car probably bottomed out often, especially with starting fuel.

Latest News

What is your next sim related purchase

• DLC

Votes: 208 24.9%
  • Full game

Votes: 206 24.6%
  • CPU

Votes: 94 11.2%
  • Graphics card

Votes: 147 17.6%
  • Other PC related hardware

Votes: 93 11.1%