AC N-GT @ Donington Park - Sunday 11th August 2024

Assetto Corsa Racing Club event
Ha Ha been using diff setup for years, it helps me plaster over the cracks. But and this is a big but, it does not replace how you carefully and accurately modulate the accelerator. Something that is well beyond my ability.
But if you can, it really helps keep the car more stable and helps rotate the car. I use it to stop me rotating the car. :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:
There is a lot more to it than what has been said.

But that is nicely covered in the next video.

I made some diff changes last night which seemed to help.

These are worth a watch.

Now a stupid question from me. Why does the inner tire spin when the differential is open? Both wheels can rotate independently of each other. Why does the inner one spin faster? That doesn't get into my head somehow. :thumbsdown:

Last edited:
Now a stupid question from me. Why does the inner tire spin when the differential is open? Both wheels can rotate independently of each other. Why does the inner one spin faster? That doesn't get into my head somehow. :thumbsdown:

An open diff sends power to the wheel with the least traction and weight transfer is obviously to the outside of the corner.
An LSD will transfer some of that power back to the outside wheel, how much/when/how sharply is depending on the settings. Traction improves as you have double the rubber in action! This forward drive is understeer up until the wheel start to spin a bit.
So in this porsche here you can get partial throttle under steer and full throttle oversteer as required. Makes it one of the best 911s in the game to drive over race distance imo. Up there with the kunos rsr.

From the mugello setup here

I just lowered diff coast by 10% and increased pre load by 5. Allowed the car turn in properly at redgate and coppice. The mugello setup is a bit overly cautious, which can lead to spins as you're fighting the understeer with inputs and can obviously end up with just running onto the grass. You do want some lift oversteer to happen!

Honestly I very often don't understand the real physics behind some setup options. And even if I seem to understand them, it's still a different story if the car really feels the way, I expect it to feel like from a theoretical point of view.

So my approach is very simple. When I start with a new car-track-combo, I squeeze out the car until I get used to it. In this process I only adjust tyre pressures and the gearbox.

If I then have the feeling, I can really feel the car, I simply try little changes and check if it feels better or worse and in which situations. Of course I have an idea, how I want the car to behave. And over the years I gained experience which changes may lead in the right direction. But it's mostly trial and error.

After changes I permanently have an eye on the delta time, because a stabler feeling often results in slower times. So for me the key is to find an agil handling car which I'm still able to keep on track (for turn in and on power).

By luck these two cars play into my cards, because they gave me a great feeling and response from the beginning. This enables me to have them at the edge very often without being in danger. This is much fun and makes me wanna drive them even more.

Last edited:

Latest News

Back