Make Monaco great again

Pete Conway

Premium
Monaco used to be great, the cars were smaller and the racing could be exciting, but over the past few decades the cars have put on weight and increased their footprint so much that they can hardly run side by side down the straight, and as we know the bloke on pole has a pretty good chance of staying in front throughout the race.
Thinking about the special races that certain racing other series/categories have got me wondering about Monaco, I don't think a 1.5-2 hour procession is really special enough to be on the F1 calendar and certainly not Special like Dakar is to Rally, Indy 500 to Oval, and Lemans 24 hours to endurance, what if the race were to be upgraded to actually be special instead of fans being told it is and having to suck it up?
What if the race was a 4 or even a 6 hour race with refueling and repairs and a bucket full of points for the finishers and more for the winners, that might mean something to have won at Monaco.

I know, someone will shout "not feasible" and "logistics" but anything is possible if you want it and pay for it... and Monaco certainly isn't short of the money!

Enduro formula 1 wow that's an interesting idea.

I am not sure about 6 hours of it but maybe a double length race would elevate it to a higher level that the year and restore it's credibility as a monumental pillar of motorsport event such has lemans 24hr and indianapolis 500.

Even without making it different than other f1 races it would be possible to use make monaco great again as a direction to improve that even and all f1 events.

If you improve the racing (vehicle control, strategy, on-track battle) at monaco and apply to the sport then all races would improve?

I agree they should consider reintroducing refueling as it adds so much strategy options and interesting in so many other sport. Otherwise they could potentially look at the WEC energy limits and have some kind of artificial performance adjustment so that there is more pace available (electric energy deployment) for a range of laps after a pitstops to increase viability of extra stop in strategies.

Make the cars smaller and make them slower corner speeds and longer braking distances would give more chance for on track overtaking. I know f1 is clearly all about moaaare poweeeeer and mooaare speeeed these days but really I think they should back off in the interest of sporting competition.

If they swapped DRS for a push to pass would that potentially make a pass any more possible at Monaco as they might be able to get a performance advantage at low speed and make a pass earlier on the small straight sections where DRS it only at high speed?

How about bringing back the idea of sprinklers after the British GP? Sprinklers at Monaco could be a dangerous with the barriers and no run-off so maybe that's for other tracks, although they do need to drive within the barriers.

Monaco has this legendary status, but let's be real, it’s not as thrilling as it used to be. The cars have gotten so huge, and overtaking is nearly impossible now. Pole position pretty much guarantees a win, which makes the whole thing feel more like a parade than a race.

Turning Monaco into a 4-6 hour endurance race could be a game-changer. With refueling, repairs, and a ton of points at stake, it would add a whole new layer of strategy and excitement. Imagine the drama and unpredictability! Sure, there’d be logistical hurdles, but if any place can pull it off, it’s Monaco. Plus, it’s not like they’re short on cash! This could really make Monaco special again.

Monaco is an anachronism, thoroughly unsuited for anything over about 200hp. It exists as an excuse for a weekend long party in the home town of many F1 luminaries; a race there is about as serious as an event at Las Vegas.

But I like the idea of an F1 endurance event. In fact I've long espoused each major racing series - F1, NASCARE, "Indycar", GT - should have have one of each type of race each season - road course, oval, street circuit, sprint race, and endurance. And select one track each season on which each series would run one race, thus providing a direct comparison of how they perform.

Monaco is a old School street circuit and technically it is to small for a race based on the regulations. But it has money and sells a image of the wealth that is associated with the F1 drivers as many live there and Leclerc is a resident. But more modern tracks have more run off (Room away from walls at fast sections) And popper straights . Good for another form of racing or Classic F1 cars. But strange people love the track no matter how bad the racing is.

Latest News

Back