Highs and lows of VR and Fanatec stuff, definitely a love / hate relationship

I did forget to say that there are some games that cannot be used at all, unfortunately despite some help and advice Dirt Rally 2.0 still will not work at all (gets stuck in intro video) and ACC has such poor performance that it is not viable. I suppose I have to put that down to incompatibility between the games and the hardware, but it does speak to the point that VR is not a plug and play venture at the moment and clearly does not have universal support. A shame, as when it all works it really is great to experience.

Prior to my Fanatec and VR experience, I had a G25 with a good widescreen setup and homemade pedals, H shifter and sequential shifter running Bodnar boards, and teh NLR V3. That was a rock solid setup, apart from when Windows would throw the update curve ball. This current set up is a long way from that, as I know that if I want to spend some time on the rig I am resigned to a period at the start to try to get it all running in cohort.

Anything that I can do to simplify things will help

Cheers

Les
Nothing you can really do except spending time and money…like, when I got the Aero I immediately had a quantum leap graphics update…but for regular people it will be at least couple of years before it gets to the point that at an acceptable price you can have something like a plug and play experience.

I mean…people that look at my rig think that I’m crazy, just as much as I think people tinkering on audio cables on their hi fi setup are crazy.

VR is not where I spend lots of time dialing in settings. I've had my 2080Ti and Valve Index for years now and they have worked beautifully together and I haven't messed with the settings in a while. It has been a set it and forget it situation.

Dirt Rally 2.0 was a bit rough when it was first introduced, but I was thinking just yesterday morning that is was amazing how smooth VR was in that game. I have no issues with Dirt Rally 2.0 at all and haven't for a long time. VR in iRacing is excellent. I can run 120 fps for some tracks, but the newer highly detailed scans, I can only run 90fps. I know ACC is a challenge for VR, but I don't use that title.

My Index doesn't have the resolution of the G2 or Aero, but I get an experience that I've been very happy with. I've felt like the 2080Ti and Index are pretty well matched.

I'm not suggesting VR is cheap in terms of PC hardware to drive it well. It's not.

Latest News

Back