AC GT3 @ Paul Ricard - Sunday 24th July 2022

Assetto Corsa Racing Club event
Nice race but I am so so much off pace here in this gt3 group. From the practice session I could tell I was up for another 1h practice session and it delivered. At least I managed to keep to the track without major incidents and slowly improved on my lap times throughout the day.

I really like GT3 cars but it's quire difficult to find races where the level is more towards my level :rolleyes:

Really enjoyed Paul Ricard, I was a bit surprised by that.

Big thanks to the organizers and congrats to the podium

You were doing it the hard way with the 488 Paolo! Well done bringing it home. I really struggle to make it work at the likes of here,monza, le mans. Big kerbs, straights, bumps, soft rear tyre temps spiking, pesky gt-r fleet.

Last edited:
Nice race but I am so so much off pace here in this gt3 group. From the practice session I could tell I was up for another 1h practice session and it delivered. At least I managed to keep to the track without major incidents and slowly improved on my lap times throughout the day.

I really like GT3 cars but it's quire difficult to find races where the level is more towards my level :rolleyes:

Really enjoyed Paul Ricard, I was a bit surprised by that.

Big thanks to the organizers and congrats to the podium
It is commonly said that the BMW is the best GT3 to start with.

@JoelK I managed to scrape a lap together in the bendy bus! Treated it as a qually session. As i said it is a struggle for me to drive that thing! Replay and motec in colins file above.
I checked the replay and telemetry ! Seemed like you struggled under braking, I guess you were using my setup ? It could easily be adjusted to be a bit more stable, but then it's again struggling with understeer and the horrible brakes (not being able to brake so deep into the corners and turning the car on the brakes.)

But yeah the GT-R takes some time to get used to, it's not one of those cars which you can just jump in and go fast instantly. I just took it as a challenge to make it work when all of the other finnish guys were running away with it back in the day, but it took a bunch(a metric ****-ton) of time banging my head against the wall.

I wish I had a screenshot of the qualifying results at RBR few years ago when P1-5 was us Finns with GT-R, that's kinda where the Finnish GT-R mafia name originates from :D

Last edited:
I checked the replay and telemetry ! Seemed like you struggled under braking, I guess you were using my setup ? It could easily be adjusted to be a bit more stable, but then it's again struggling with understeer and the horrible brakes (not being able to brake so deep into the corners and turning the car on the brakes.)

But yeah the GT-R takes some time to get used to, it's not one of those cars which you can just jump in and go fast instantly. I just took it as a challenge to make it work when all of the other finnish guys were running away with it back in the day, but it took a bunch(a metric ****-ton) of time banging my head against the wall.

I wish I had a screenshot of the qualifying results at RBR few years ago when P1-5 was us Finns with GT-R, that's kinda where the Finnish GT-R mafia name originates from :D

Ye the brakes and the subsequent power slides :) I just used your setup as it was. I feel like I only scratched the surface with it. It's has a very different way of entering the corner. I found myself steering with the brake and weight transfer more like a gravel rally car :) Guess that's partly why it's so popular up your way :D I struggled a bit with the last sector, getting the car to rotate a bit without going full wrc handbrake style takes alot of precision with the brake pedal pressure.

1658825353729.png

General theme is I'm braking later(joel is the white lines), turning the wheel less, braking for longer.
Also braking alot harder on the secondary braking in the chicanes. I could feel that at the time, but wasn't sure why. Poor technique, braking too late or what?

This is the Nord chicane where I loose 0.5 seconds. You can see the two big chunks of extra braking to stay on the same racing line through the right hander.

1658825882412.png

Last edited:
Uploaded efforts from today with the above post in mind. Still braking later:). Certainly seemed to be able to fix the time lost at nord chicane. The delta stay the same more or less. First time using Motec but it seems to be a one corner at a time affair, vs. a video where I could picture a whole lap.

That is you braking earlier and not just the being there sooner?

1658829157940.png

Last edited:
I've just done my own bit of analysis, so first of all, many thanks Joel for your data.:):):) and Brian, but as we are quite close, chose Joel's data.

Having just had a quick comparison, Joel is much more decisive with accelerator application, that does not make much difference, a few tenths or more, most is made with the brakes.
I am 1 second off his pace, most of it is just one corner, the bend in the middle of the long straight.
He, not only brakes later, a lot, but is cleaner on the throttle, basically that is most of the lap time there in one braking zone area, I lose 5/10ths in that one corner braking zone.

He is off the throttle 40 meters after me in that one braking zone.:O_o:

Considering I cannot feel anything in my feet, not exactly unexpected. :O_o::(

Last edited:
I've just done my own bit of analysis, so first of all, many thanks Joel for your data.:):):) and Brian, but as we are quite close, chose Joel's data.

Having just had a quick comparison, Joel is much more decisive with accelerator application, that does not make much difference, a few tenths or more, most is made with the brakes.
I am 1 second off his pace, most of it is just one corner, the bend in the middle of the long straight.
He, not only brakes later, a lot, but is cleaner on the throttle, basically that is most of the lap time there in one braking zone area, I lose 5/10ths in that one corner braking zone.

He is off the throttle 40 meters after me in that one braking zone.:O_o:

Considering I cannot feel anything in my feet, not exactly unexpected. :O_o::(

What's the best way to see a braking point Ernie? I think I've read it wrong above, in that it looks like joel brakes earlier but it is just at earlier time, rather than position?

I know chris and joel said they were braking at the kerb for nord chicane. For me half way between 150 and the kerb is more comfortable!

Last edited:
Thankyou Brian , got me to look at it again, I was wrong, I had forgotten that he was 3/10th ahead of me going into the corner.
Now looking at it again, I am now confused about where that 5/10th of a second magically appears from.
it was so much more reassuring when I thought I had established a
solid reason.
After looking at it again, I have now concluded the below.

In fact, he loses time to me on corner entry, half of a tenth.
Ironically it is exactly as I have always thought, he holds onto more entry and mid-corner speed, then puts that to good use on the straight, but most of that 5/10th is just corner speed.
I am not as numb-footed as I had always thought I was.:roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

this MoTeC is difficult to use, it is not so easy to isolate each driver, I think I will try and change some of the worksheets to give better resolution.
Starting to see the advantage of, track map, variance time, ground speed, brake and throttle.

Uploaded efforts from today with the above post in mind. Still braking later:). Certainly seemed to be able to fix the time lost at nord chicane. The delta stay the same more or less. First time using Motec but it seems to be a one corner at a time affair, vs. a video where I could picture a whole lap.

That is you braking earlier and not just the being there sooner?

View attachment 586314
You can change the X axis to show distance rather than time. So I assume 'distance' would allow more accurate analysis of where you brake on the track. 'time' is useful to see where on the track you're losing time

Just revised my MoTeC data and laboriously plotted the whole corner speed in Nords from braked initiation, from Joel's MoTeC data.

Joel hits the brakes before me, but still, mages to hold an average of 3 Km/hr through the whole bend from entry to exit.
I can also see a big difference in steering input, I am a lot smoother, Joel is fighting for that last bit of grip and continuously making micro-adjustments.

That is where I am at present, the 3Km/h goes a long way toward explaining the difference.

Basically, he is a better race driver than me. no surprise there.
So in my books, he is a Rotter for being quicker than me.:roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

T1 to Nords 0.370 Nords to last corner 1.0 second, which 0.4 is just in Nords, but analysing his steering input Joel is always micro adjusting every corner. it has a big effect in faster corners less so in slower corners.

At least I now do not have to concern myself with my braking, trail braking is probably not good, but I was always convinced my overall braking was poor.

So some positive from the above.

Last edited:

Latest News

Back