AC GT3 Championship Round 3 - Sunday 9th October 2022

Assetto Corsa Racing Club event
That was pretty exhausting today.
Same here. Qualified 9th and that is in this field a backmarker. So a bit disappointed that I couldn't do the laptimes of most of the others.
My start was ok but almost always Ernie was the car in front and his starts are not that good so I was passing him when in T1 there was a incident with Patrick and another driver. I came out ok in 7th position. When Pat had a spin in Barbecue I was behind Tim and could close the gap. I could pass him in Leeukop. Now 5th with Hank and Thomas at about 4 seconds. I was closing the gap very slowly but then Patrick appeared in my mirror and he would stay there for the rest of the race. I guess he must have felt like Lewis behind Ocon. He could get on my tail but didn't have the speed or accelleration to finish it off on the straight. Thomas had done a succesful undercut so after our pitstops I was behind Hank and for about 12 laps the gap was between 1,5 and 0.5 s where small mistakes of both made the differences. With Patrick on my tail and Hank in striking distance in front it was very exhausting. With 4 laps to go I could get beside Hank on the inside of Leeukop and finally take over 4th position. In the last laps Patrick managed to overtake Hank also and so the last lap he was again very close but in the end I finished in front of him. Sorry Patrick, for what must have been a frustrating race for you.

Being a bit proud of myself for not making big mistakes while being under constant pressure and happy with the result AND being the most consistent driver!

Congrats to the podium, thanks all for joining and Brian for organizing.
See you next week! (There are still spots free for the Fat_Alfie championship with classic cars https://www.racedepartment.com/threads/classic-car-fat-alfie-championship-2022.249495/

Last edited:
Good result with a good qualy. Was even three or four tenth quicker in qualy but did a mistake in final sector. Didn't have a good setup, the Mclaren was so easy to bring the back to a slide, and then catching it is so difficult. So I didn't dare to push in race 100 percent as risk of spinning being too high. Lost the back in the last corner once and spun, Hank could overtake and we had a good fight.
Thx Brian for organizing.
Cu next time.

But “hey ho” made for an interesting race, especially with Tim, at least we could overtake each other:roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:
I enjoyed that Ernie, I was hoping for some close racing with somebody to get some confidence built up. I slipped through once because I think Paul pitting may have caused you a moment of hesitation when I was following you both. I ran a cautious setup with high down force so felt quicker in the corners but couldn't do anything on the straights. When did you adopt the Beema BTW? Do you mind sharing the setup you ran with me?

Last edited:
Ooffff. So I had a decent qualy. Knocked out a really good pb to get within a half second of patrick and the maccas. (Sounds like a band)..

Had a feeling the scg tractor would bog down on the line in front of me, which it did. I oversteered left a bit too much but still got a good run to T1. One of the mclarens ahead seemed to get a bad exit from T1. I thought coasting would be enough to not hit them but i needed to brake unfortunately. Sorry if that upset their exit. Little tap into their rear and the ferrari autospun. I didn't see who it was or how they got on. Thomas or Joel?

From a P4ish to way last then with fellow spinner @Partick Eaton. We caught up to the back of the grid but couldn't get past arnold. It was especially difficult with my pretty full tank of fuel. Even when I did once, couldn't escape and he powered back in front on the next straight. Then my internet crapped out and i unfortunately hit arnold in a warpy VR mess of a crash. My already tired brain was a bit fried from it so I had to drop out after crashing again. I was was also starting to get lapped and was afraid i would hit someone coming through.

Bit of a disaster. Hopefully Spa will go better!

Congrats to @demetri for the win and to the podium guys. See you next week :thumbsup:

The McLaren's should dominate here, which might cut some of Dmitry's lead back.

Got to say I'm really struggling to find a decent setup for the SCG. With softs the back tyres get hot really quickly, and if I use mediums, the fronts are to cold, especially if I get stuck behind a slower car - not a Mclaren :laugh:.

What I feared most became a reality after the very first corner. I had my usual dreadful start - an absolute banker for whoever is directly behind me. Coming out of the first corner I collided with a Ferrari that had been involved in another incident - these things happen - but it put me further back. As we all know, Kyalami isn't the easiest of places to make an overtake, especially against the Nissans. I sat behind Han for the majority of the race, waiting for a mistake that didn't materialise. It didn't help that I changed tires @ the pitstop - I went with a low wing setup, allowing the car to slide, thereby heating up the tyres, but also expecting the tyres to wear quicker - & I missed my only chance of getting past Han.

Congrats to the podium & to Dmitry for winning both @ Kyalami & the championship.

Last edited:
What I feared most became a reality after the very first corner. I had my usual dreadful start - an absolute banker for whoever is directly behind me. Coming out of the first corner I collided with a Ferrari that had been involved in another incident - these things happen - but it put me further back. As we all know, Kyalami isn't the easiest of places to make an overtake, especially against the Nissans. I sat behind Han for the majority of the race, waiting for a mistake that didn't materialise. It didn't help that I changed tires @ the pitstop - I went with a low wing setup, allowing the car to slide, thereby heating up the tyres, but also expecting the tyres to wear quicker - & I missed my only chance of getting past Han.

Congrats to the podium & to Dmitry for winning both @ Kyalami & the championship.
It did look in the mirror like if you had a full tank of gas on start, but since you changed tires that probably wasn't the case. Is the Glick that bad at low speed acceleration?

It did look in the mirror like if you had a full tank of gas on start, but since you changed tires that probably wasn't the case. Is the Glick that bad at low speed acceleration?
I went 50:50 with 114 litres of fuel, with a fixed final gear ratio of 9/35 (max mph: 1st. 52; 2nd 70; 3rd 87; 4th 108; 5th 134; last 158). If I put more than 75 litres in the tank, the car feels very sluggish & costs too much in lap times. The normal load for a one hour race is around 126 litres (128 - Watkins Glen).
Kyalami RD Assetto Corsa Screenshot 2022.10.11 - 12.20.12.32.jpg

I don't make the best of starts, however, I'm ahead of Joel just after the lights go out. By the time I get to the last cone on the pit exit I'm a car's length behind. Strangely, I'm the fastest car @ this stage. I'm guessing there must be something wrong with my replay... I suspect that I have my TC to high - I tried starting with it off once, @ le-mans, with disastrous consequences when I had to change direction to avoid a slow moving lmp car. I also need to work on my reaction times. Is there a trick to it?

Last edited:
I don't make the best of starts, however, I'm ahead of Joel just after the lights go out. By the time I get to the last cone on the pit exit I'm a car's length behind. Strangely, I'm the fastest car @ this stage. I'm guessing there must be something wrong with my replay... I suspect that I have my TC to high - I tried starting with it off once, @ le-mans, with disastrous consequences when I had to change direction to avoid a slow moving lmp car. I also need to work on my reaction times. Is there a trick to it?
If you mean the speed shown in the app, then it is only correct for your own car. Speed values of all other cars always lag behind their actual speed, by about half a second or so. That's an AC "feature"
The trick for a better reaction is that the time between all virtual red lights going red and the race start is always the same, so if you can accurately count that amount of time in your head (like one-Mississippi, two-Mississippi, etc) you can shorten your reaction time because you can be more proactive than reactive. But this comes with a risk of jumping the start if you get your counting slightly wrong (I almost jumped it in Zandvoort race). Practice makes perfect

Last edited:

Latest News

Back