rF2 Caterham 7 series - Round 3 @ Donington Park - Thu 14 Jul 2022

rFactor 2 Racing Club event
Gentlemen (and ladies) the new Cat is out. Assuming it's working properly on the server, which of you chaps would like to race this event with the new car this Thurs 11th August. Is the anybody who cannot make it this week?

@max1966i ,@Paul_V ,@Kresh ,@Daniel R. ,@Jack Smith ,@Orlando Medley Sr. ,@pattikins ,@Jim Carvalho ,@Munkyboo ,@Jimlaad43 ,@PurgerUK
I can make it but I haven't tested the sim yet, I don't know if my problems are still there after the update. I will let u know:thumbsup:

Hi Denis. Thanks for the tag.. just downloading everything at present. Will give it all a try ASAP. I'm going to check what's going on Thursday. If I can I would love to race with the group. Will confirm probably tomorrow.

Unlike the main thread for this update, can I have a more measured opinion on the Cat?
Well so far, I like it. Only driven a few laps at Brands Indy so far and I have found the FFB ok. I though don't like overly heavy steering. I didnt think it as bad as early comments have said. I just changed from my trusty G27 to a fanatec CSL base and wheel so still getting used to things. The car itself seems good. As its a academy car I was worried it would be too slow, but it's surprisingly spritely and quick enough to be fun on the smaller and more technical circuits. Sounds seem good to me too. As for handling... not bad but I have driven a few 7s IRL and its not to bad but a little too much initial understeer on turn in and the back end is a bit too lively in my opinion. Far too easy for the back to overtake the front. You have to push a Caterham harder in real life to make the rear step out quite so easy. In this car even a gentle lift off the throttle while in mid corner was giving me snap oversteer rather than allowing the car to rotate or turn in a little which is what i would have expected, But if you can coax the rear end into a slide then it nice to drive with a controlled slide or drift. After my first few drives I lowered the tyre pressures a little front and rear, lowered the front swaybar ( ARB) and increased the cast a couple of clicks and it was much better. I actually like the fact that the setup menu is pretty simple and basic. Will make for a grid of very similar cars allowing hopefully some great close racing. Gearing was at Brands a bit long, but ok. Means it's still capable at longer/faster tracks, but need to check that out.
I do hope that the minimal setup options don't stop the car from being dialled in for the majority of drivers. As some like tight setup and some like 'em loose.

Lastly want to say, now it's here it's a cracking base car for some other 7s... like a 500r or the 620s.. those with a full setup ability would be awesome.

So long story short, I liked it far more than I expected as I had read the negative comments before getting the car downloaded . But seriously my initial thoughts are that with a few little setup tweaks and some steady practice laps that this will be a fantastic addition to Rf2 and to sim racing in general.

yep, I like it. Bit tricky, but where's the fun in racing easy cars. FFB is weak but I'm hopeful that they'll fix that. For now, up the caster a bit.... maybe reduce the wheel rotation (lock?) a tad if yer brave.

yep, I like it. Bit tricky, but where's the fun in racing easy cars. FFB is weak but I'm hopeful that they'll fix that. For now, up the caster a bit.... maybe reduce the wheel rotation (lock?) a tad if yer brave.
Yeah, tried that Denis. Did the caster. Took about 1.5 psi out the rear tyres. Was a lot better. I'm using 720 degrees on my wheel . Seems OK. What's a good steering angle to set in game ?.

I'm out of a PC right now, the fans were running at full speed m'ont offert the even when i wasn't doing anything with it. So i tout it to the shop tuesday to fini out that my cpu water cooling pump was faulty causing the cpu to run a little hot. They will replace the water cooling but i don't know when i will get my PC back, hopefully it will be today.

I'm out of a PC right now, the fans were running at full speed m'ont offert the even when i wasn't doing anything with it. So i tout it to the shop tuesday to fini out that my cpu water cooling pump was faulty causing the cpu to run a little hot. They will replace the water cooling but i don't know when i will get my PC back, hopefully it will be today.
Hi Yves, Sorry to hear about your PC problems. I also may sadly miss tonight as something has cropped up I may not be able to miss. Only family stuff... but might stop me racing.

Hope everyone else has a good race.

Latest News

What is your next sim related purchase

• DLC

Votes: 208 24.9%
  • Full game

Votes: 206 24.6%
  • CPU

Votes: 94 11.2%
  • Graphics card

Votes: 147 17.6%
  • Other PC related hardware