Car Pictures

Ligier JS2 R
unnamed-5.jpg

1685295873725.jpg
Growing up I was more of a military buff than a car guy. I had (and still have) one issue of Hot Cars Magazine possibly purchased in lieu of a comic book on a family trip from Des Moines to Omaha:

20230528_124806.jpg

Seared into my memory is an article about the 1976 Buick Century Regal selected for Indy 500 Pace Car duties. The turbocharged 231 CID / 3.8L V6 in this car was a precursor to Turbo Regals and Grand Nationals and various T-Type Buicks, and was even developed into a potent performer in CART.

To me this is the epitome of 1970s U.S. domestic personal luxury cars, unapologetically large and loud, resplendent in its wild decal package:

The silhouette of the Regal also conjures some of my favorite images of NASCAR and ARCA with these massive Monte Carlo/Grand Prix/Cutlass/Regals dukeing ot out with Ford Thunderbirds & Torinos and Mercury Montegos/Cougars as well as Chargers/Magnums from Mopar at venues like Riverside and Darlington.

BONUS: The late, great singer Marty Robbins--who drove stock cars for years and even competed in top tier NASCAR events--was the honorary driver of the pace car.

Last edited:

Latest News

What is your next sim related purchase

• DLC

Votes: 122 27.7%
  • Full game

Votes: 102 23.2%
  • CPU

Votes: 54 12.3%
  • Graphics card

Votes: 80 18.2%
  • Other PC related hardware