AC Abarth 500/Mazda MX5@Bathurst, Wednesday 11th May 2022

Assetto Corsa Racing Club event
Not to make you jealous but to make you very jealous: I had a couple of cappuccino's here with a magnificent view on the Portimao circuit.

IMG-20220510-WA0002.jpg

And later I visited the (closed for public) circuit, persuaded a Portugese to let me climb up his van outside the fence and made this picture of the new Peugeot supercar that they were testing before we were sent off by a security guy.
IMG-20220510-WA0007.jpg

Last edited:
The engineering behind that Pug is really interesting. But, to my eyes, it sort of has a wing (that long protruded flat 'lip' at the back with the logo?) But hey, it's not a 'real wing' so, all good. ;)

Last edited:
Ähhh
no :(

(And its fake, the "car" is much too clean for a gravel track.
Ask me how I know ;))
This 75hp FWD racemonster from Peugeot is our rental car here in the Algarve. No rear wing but thank God it has airconditioning.
Interesting maybe, the landmark you see in the distance behind, is the closest you can get to the United States on the European mainland.

Have a great race tonight, guys! I'm hoping for the Abarths to be amongst the frontrunners.

Last edited:
Yipee, even though the Mazda rotters paid for a professional race driver.

OIP (71).jpg

I was as chuffed to bits, but then when I saw Flavio in a rotter of a Mazda closing fast; Normally I would have conceded, but it was for the honour of the Abarth, fought my hardest on knackered tyres and the race gods looked favourably on me, I had a lot of luck and needed it too.

When I saw Flavio in the race I knew my days were numbered, from last night in the Ferrari 458 race.

Well done podiums, especially the Abarth.:roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

OIP.jpg

Last edited:
That was a hectic but fun race at the end. I managed a decent qualy on P6 but had a slow start, got squeezed by two cars and decided to lift in order to avoid contact. Then there was an incident near the dipper and although I managed to dodge a few cars I couldn't avoid hitting a golden Mazda, so I decided to wait and ended up dead last... so I switched gears and focused on doing a recovery race... which was going pretty well until I touched grass and sand at the first corner chasing Colin and hit the left wall... I managed to spin about and recover quickly, put my head down and set to catch up with Omar ahead... he catched up with Colin after a few laps, they were having a good scrap and something happened coz I caught up with Omar and managed to pass. Then I set to chase Colin and after a fair amount of laps I was on his bumper. We had a really fun scrap for a few laps, got side by side several times but I decided to lift in order to avoid contact. I guess I need to practice passing more now, haha! :D Finally, on the second to last lap I managed to put together a couple of good exits and decided to hold the inside at the second corner, the first going uphill... and this time I made it stick. I still had Colin on my rear mirror and he was getting closer but he eventually lost it at the second to last corner on the last lap... that was a true shame @JamKart22 because we were having such a good race together... I really enjoyed it man so thanks for the good fun! :)

Ernie won it at the end, on the re-badged fiat :D congratulations man! Looking forward to the next race, I'll see you chaps then!

Last edited:
Great fight with Raul in the last quarter of the race. You were very fair in our scrapping and others might have out braked themselves and taken us both out. But you bided your time and got me in the end :-(

Pity we didn't have a full grid here as it's fun when you do get to battle.

Really fun and enjoyable race. Had the usual panic moments before the qualify as bluetooth options completely disappeared from my computer. I tried a restart, all to no avail, then decided to go for the easiest of solutions and connect my heaphones with wire, but I already lost half of the qualify time. "Managed" to qualify last after three canceled laps (cut the track).
The start, while crowded was good enough to let me gain some positions, that I promptly lost upon arriving at the Cutting. No worries, I thought, something's going to happen at the Esses, and it actually happened. I was able not to impact anyone and squeezed by while gaining back some positions, then settled around 9th-10th position and tried to be constant without making too many errors.

I was able to catch up with Raul and then with Colin but both times some stupid error let me lose time so I was never able to really battle (and I have to say that also some errors of them did allow me to pass without too much of a hassle).

Towards the end of the race our group was very close and if I hadn't made that error in the Cutting (the second really bad in the race, in the same corner! I won't never learn not to overdo things..) we could've had a great battle all together. Three wide narrow in the Esses, would you imagine it? :roflmao:
Instead, I had to resign watching their battle from far behind, even though this meant they had much higher times than mine and it allowed me to get to the 8th position profiting of Colin's error (really sorry for that Colin!) as I managed to be close enough to do it by trying to be consistent and not making mistakes anymore.

Results here: https://simresults.net/220512-k6J

See you on track next week!

Latest News

Back