Assetto Corsa Racing Club event

HF2000

Thou shall not pass!!!
Club Staff
Premium
1446052304-roa110115fea-specmiata02.jpg

1651160798649.png

Welcome to the RD Racing Club.

Hopefully last weeks race with these cars in Portugal was a succes.
Today a track that looks a bit more in favor of the Abarth due to the long straights.
Can the Mazdas make up enough time in the curvy second sector?
Let's find out in the land down under on Mount Panorama!

Fuel consumption is set at 25% to prevent a forced pitstop for the Abarth.

MountPanorama87.png

So join us for another exciting race and:

Sign up here (Password: same as last week, otherwise send a PM to @Interslice and he will send you a reply with it.):

It's important that you also join us during the event on Discord for additional information and instructions. Link is below.

Especially the new and inexperienced drivers are recommended to participate. There are a lot of learning opportunities but without the intensity and stress of the GT3/4 cars or the endurance multiclass cars. It's also good step up for those kind of events.

Server information:
  • Practice Server: #04 (Available throughout the race week) Password: dunlop
  • Race server: S.GP Password: dunlop
  • 20:00 CEST, 19:00 BST (19:00 UTC) | 1 hour 15 minutes - Official Practice
  • 21:20 CEST, 20:20 BST (20:20 UTC) | 20 minutes - Qualification
  • 21:40 CEST, 20:40 BST (20:40 UTC) | 45 minutes - Race

Event details:
  • Cars: Abarth 500 Assetto Corse/Mazda MX5 Cup
  • Track: Bathurst, Australia
  • Pit stop: optional
  • Tyre blankets: Yes
  • Track Temps: 28C air/43C track
  • Track Condition: Clear
  • Track grip: 96% increasing to 100% after about 20 minutes.
  • Track limits: No more than 2 wheels over the white/yellow line without a lift of the gas please. You will be penalized if you break this rule.
  • Damage: 10%
  • Fuel Consumption: 25%
  • Further info on simracing.gp

Useful Links:

Last edited:
Did some practice in the evenings from Thursday to Saturday. This forum has undoubtedly its merits: I hated VIR from the deepest of my heart because I played it with a pad on FM7 and - even if I had some problems in the real world and couldn't finish the race - I came to love it after racing there with you.
The same is happening now with Bathurst: I couldn't stand this track in FM7 but now that I'm driving it with a proper controller (i.e. a wheel and pedals set) and I got to know the track, I'm really lovin' it even if I'm in a galaxy far far away from an alien's time. All the section between Griffin's mount and Forrest's Elbow is beautiful, and the thrill of (trying to) going through Skyline, the Esses and the Dipper like a rocket is priceless.
Now, if I only could understand how to take that Quarry bend and the Cutting without losing seconds.. :D

But the thing I really want to see is how the Abarth drivers will be able to run through that middle section :coffee:
I tried an AI race with mixed grid and the Abarth drivers were sliding all over the place there, causing a mess every time. No way I'm going to risk spinning in such a narrow track. I couldn't complete a clean lap in half an hour practice so I'm back to the lovely japanese this time.. much better drive in my opinion, I'm really curious with regards to what the Abarths will be able to do. Most probably I simply haven't the racecraft to drive that car, plus I seem unable to drive FWD in simracing!

Not as well as I hoped Omar, those S's are worse for the Abarth, you at some point have to lift.
Lift slightly too early or slightly too late and you have problems.
The good thing with the Abarth is you don't seem, so far, to get that tied up.
I have raced the Mazda here before, losing it in the tight mountain section is not recommended
:roflmao::roflmao:

But the thing I really want to see is how the Abarth drivers will be able to run through that middle section :coffee:
So far I have only found 3 ways to do it:
- Spin, crash and hope the suspension is not damaged;
- Go really really slow;
- Don't turn and cut(probably also resulting in a spin)

I've done a bit of practice yesterday and it's my first time on this track too so yes, I'm guaranteed a last place if my form does not improve dramatically.
I'm still thinking of using the Abarth on this one just because I actually like this cute little car.

@pcmoreno

I am so slow that I am always amazed when I actually do well,
I have no speed to fall back on , it is just a matter of application, skill is given and therefore the application is “virtually instant.”

Struggling invariably takes a long time.

What I am trying to say, once you discover that you are not a hidden talent, then find another route to at least some success.

Look and take note of faster drivers for clues, put effort into your set up, be very conscious of a car that does not handle well, find out how to get it dialled in with setup, do not be hood winked into believing that all that separated you from glory is a super setup.

If some super star is not accelerating because the car is sideways or under steering and your car turns in under your command, points at the apex and acceleration is spot on and instant?

The greatest driver in the world will be struggling against you.
Unfortunately, these people know that, it is virtually impossible to beat them, they have the knowledge and talent.

I have raced against Chris for years, never have I been the remotely interested in his setup. his talent is unique to him, just as with all our aliens here, unique to them.

Smooth it out, dial the car in, get your apex’s correct, even if you have to be super patient, get your braking point just right, learn to brake smoothly and deeper into the apex.

Now if you manage that, that will be more that this numb headed idiot has ever managed.
:)

Last edited:
@Kek700
thanks for the extended reply.

I know I'm not an hidden talent nor anywhere close so I'm not frustrated by not being able to keep up with the top. I know there are levels to this and here it's pretty much clearly above mine, which is fine. I know that I'm improving albeit slowly but that's also ok, given the time I have for this. I was honestly surprised when last week I joined a race on a different community, got the pole and almost won. So there are also objective results which motivate me sometimes.

Smooth it out, dial the car in, get your apex’s correct, even if you have to be super patient, get your braking point just right, learn to brake smoothly and deeper into the apex
This is pretty much the level I'm on right now, so that's indeed the best advice I can get right now it just sounds much easier than what it actually is ;p
Next to this there is racecraft, which I have near to none but I can only get that when I'm consistently pacing at the same times as some others and not doing stupid mistakes. So, one step at a time. ;)

I don't need to win to have fun nor am I postponing having fun to when I'm "good". A nice group of like minded racers is all it's needed so I think I'm in the right spot here.

About the AI Barths, they suck everywhere.

Most curiously the Mazd AIs also like to do the wallslide here, so I think the AI lines could do with some work.

At first I DID NOT LIKE this version of Bathurst as some malevolent entity removed the brake markers and installed very rigid track limits with brutal slow downs :sick:.

I´m still not convinced that I need this crash fest so the jury is still out on this one....

MFG Carsten

On the side a laymans tipp:

at least the Mazda can be stabilized when hurling into the Esses by giving it a little "maintenance throttle" to lessen the engine braking.

If this does anything for the Abarth??
I can´t be assed to try :whistling:

( OH yeah, I had the ideal line on by mistake :redface:
and it´s WAY off, so the surreal behavior of the AI Diots can be explained.)

MFG Carsten

Last edited:
At first I DID NOT LIKE this version of Bathurst as some malevolent entity removed the brake markers and installed very rigid track limits with brutal slow downs :sick:.
Actually I saw a video where advertisements and some details were completely different. I thought this was an original track in AC, go figure..

Last edited:
Slow in fast out,trail brake or not at all in most cases with the mazda,set ups help but generally the default is not that bad on most tracks,plus practiceis the key aswell

The only thing with the default Mazda setup is that tyre pressure will never reach the ideal one if you aren't increasing the initial value, don't know if it's something in my driving style or if it's a general issue (actually also in a base setup that Han shared some time ago the pressure values had been increased from the default so it may very well be an issue with the setup)

The only thing with the default Mazda setup is that tyre pressure will never reach the ideal one if you aren't increasing the initial value, don't know if it's something in my driving style or if it's a general issue (actually also in a base setup that Han shared some time ago the pressure values had been increased from the default so it may very well be an issue with the setup)
I wouldn´t call it an issue, irl the "ideal" pressures are also track and weather dependent.
After one year playing around at tracks and auto crosses I had a spread sheet and could "predict" the starting pressures quite nicely.

Simracing Racing is much easier in this regard, one can do as many "race simulations" as one has spare time :)

Decided to join the ruckus. And if someone fancies to drive into my butt there will be a "strongly worded letter to the editor", even if this someone is a wall :O_o:

MFG Carsten

Actually I saw a video where advertisements and some details were completely different. I thought this was an original track in AC, go figure..
There are at least two different versions of Bathurst mods on RaceDepartment.

I think we use the newer one which doesn´t have the brake marker boards but is laser scanned
(don´t quote me on the latter, I´m not sure)

MFG Carsten

Oh,

and can someone post a surviveable setup for the "crabwalking shitbox"?
(after the race of course;) )

I tried three laps and this thing harrassed me with liftoff killsteer in each and every one of them.

So I kicked the nuisance back where it belongs (into the Mariana Trench)

MFG Carsten

Last edited:
I´m probably missing something in the setup options, but can´t be assed to try them all.

I think Han posted something about differential settings....

On the other hand I´ve now managed to settle into the track on the real car, did three consecutive laps in my target second, so all is well (untill the AA Team comes along again;))

Good Night,

Carsten

Latest News

Back