Why is it like being on ice when you touch the grass...

I know there is a lot less grip, but most of the car I try, you have almost no chance to ever recover the car if you go on the grass, it's spin central... best option I have found so far is try 3rd or 4th and try not to spin... even 1% throttle in 1st or 2nd and it's spin time...

It's not like being on ice, it's like being on... grass. If you watch real motorsports, most cars also have almost zero control on grass. Pretty logical given that they generally have slick tyres. Even the drivers say things like "as soon as I was on the grass, I was just a passenger". That being the case, I don't really understand why people are surprised by this feature.

It's not like being on ice, it's like being on... grass. If you watch real motorsports, most cars also have almost zero control on grass. Pretty logical given that they generally have slick tyres. Even the drivers say things like "as soon as I was on the grass, I was just a passenger". That being the case, I don't really understand why people are surprised by this feature.

Agreed there should be little traction, but of all the sims / games AMS2 seems the worst I have encountered, with RF2, assuming your not actually spinning and don't try and change direction drastically you can generally navigate your way back to the track (at least when it is dry).

IMO AMS 1 usually came across to me as having too much grip on the grass both in Reiza's tracks as well as mod tracks. AMS 2 OTOH comes across as excessively lacking in grip to me. If you could somehow split the difference between the two it would feel just about right in my book.

In a substantial majority of circumstances, I agree grass probably should be the equivalent of ice. It is not, however, completely impossible to save a slide on grass in the real world. In AMS 2 though, get on the grass at any speed with any degree of yaw and you *will* spin. At least that's how it comes across to me.

FWIW check the save at 4:36 in this video. I'm specifically referring to after the car comes out of the gravel. It's still in a slide but the driver maintains control over it and avoids wall contact. To me, AMS 2 feels as if a mild slide like this is impossible to save.

Now with all that said, this issue is *way* down my personal priority list of what I'd like to see Reiza look at. The simple reason being I have control over it by...you know...not going on the grass.

My 2 penny worth, and appreciate its only my view. Having "drifted off" onto the grass a few times on track-days i would say that AMS 2 is similar to being on very wet grass. Dry grass has (from what i have experienced) significantly more grip than AMS 2 appears to have, especially when moving away from standstill. Unless you dump the clutch at full revs with some lock on you wouldnt do a 360 on dry grass, which seems all too easy to achieve in AMS 2. Not tracked wide tyred/high powered cars so my view is limited to Saxo, MX5, Caterham. Oh thinking about it, I did venture onto the grass in a pseudo-race spec M3 at Palmersports facility in Bedford (in dry)...was surprised how much grip it had, but maybe Palmersport have deliberately grippy grass (if such a thing exists) to stop cars spearing off too far !

Car Tyre
CoF Asphalt 0.72
CoF Grass 0.35
:unsure:

This. And there are two issues:
  1. One grass coefficient is used for all grass, even though there are many levels of slipperiness across different types of grass and tracks
  2. The CoF used in AMS 2 appears to be a compromise between wet and dry...or it is just too low by some noticeable margin
As mentioned above, even though this is important, it way down the list of priority items that need to be addressed.

Eventually, we might see customized grip levels for various grass and off-track surfaces. Gravel traps need more attention than the grass.

I know there is a lot less grip, but most of the car I try, you have almost no chance to ever recover the car if you go on the grass, it's spin central... best option I have found so far is try 3rd or 4th and try not to spin... even 1% throttle in 1st or 2nd and it's spin time...

IMO, It can be a little over the top on the grass. Either all other sims have it wrong, or AMS2 is the only one that has it right. Ice grass, and bumpy quicksand once you leave the road. I do hope they address this, but for me I have noticed that on some tracks if any part of the tire touches the grass the entire physics turn to on ice driving. Even when the other 3 tires are 100% on the pavement with 99% of the forth.

Anyone with experience in offroad racing knows that grass, dirt, mud and sand can all provide decent grip with appropriate tires even at relatively high speeds. Wet grass on slicks, however, can be pretty damn icy. That said, even slicks provide enough traction for a car to traverse safely and surefootedly as long as the speeds are low and the throttle inputs are reasonably tame. Moreover, at anything under 5 mph, these cars really should have a bit more traction. I personally feel the sit and spin behavior in grass at sub 5 mph on DRY grass is incredibly unrealistic except where the low end torque of a car is extremely high and hard to manage. Still, I would love to see the development team pursue variable grip levels in grass based on tread design, slip angle, speed and moisture as it really would be quite revolutionary.

Yup, I have to agree with the grass points above. I enjoy AMS2 but if I make contact with the grass many a time it's basically game over for me as my cars has totally spun facing the wrong direction. Maybe real but can be a tad frustrating if being able to recover and keep in the race turns out be a no go. Looking forward to this update due soon!

• Deleted member 963434

i tell yo more, if yo go on gravel all sims, ALL SIMS have it unrealistic, cause yo can drive out of gravel back on track, in real life if yo get on gravel trap (its there to slow down car that get off track not to crash at hight speed in barrier) yo cant move, tow truck is needed. all sims get it one way - if yo go on gravel it slows yo down very fast, but then yo can drive on gravel, in real life yo cant yo just dig in it

• Deleted member 963434

Yup, I have to agree with the grass points above. I enjoy AMS2 but if I make contact with the grass many a time it's basically game over for me as my cars has totally spun facing the wrong direction. Maybe real but can be a tad frustrating if being able to recover and keep in the race turns out be a no go. Looking forward to this update due soon!
what update? tey want make grass riding easy? if yo cant stay on track yo shall not win an even yo shall not finish race, thats it. yo want lunatics barrier bouncing to finish to be first or yo want driver to drive consistent, stay on track to be first? i hope it stay that way. yo say grass like ice, i tell yo, grass is plant, its lot of water, its exactly like ice when high speed 1500 kg thing goes on it an that its in real life, yo get on grass yo gone, thats shall be. as i post above tey made gravel too easy in all sims, yo tellin me grass too hard cause cant controll? i tell yo gravel too easy cause yo can get out, in real life yo get on gravel trap yo ned tow truck

• Deleted member 963434

IMO AMS 1 usually came across to me as having too much grip on the grass both in Reiza's tracks as well as mod tracks. AMS 2 OTOH comes across as excessively lacking in grip to me. If you could somehow split the difference between the two it would feel just about right in my book.

In a substantial majority of circumstances, I agree grass probably should be the equivalent of ice. It is not, however, completely impossible to save a slide on grass in the real world. In AMS 2 though, get on the grass at any speed with any degree of yaw and you *will* spin. At least that's how it comes across to me.

FWIW check the save at 4:36 in this video. I'm specifically referring to after the car comes out of the gravel. It's still in a slide but the driver maintains control over it and avoids wall contact. To me, AMS 2 feels as if a mild slide like this is impossible to save.

Now with all that said, this issue is *way* down my personal priority list of what I'd like to see Reiza look at. The simple reason being I have control over it by...you know...not going on the grass.
yo just need to drive real cars an learn to slide from it, im in every sim could save from that, cause i have real life driving xperience, i know how cars behave, i transfer real life into sim, not the other way, thats why im so good in sims. i know how car in real life behave then i have situation in sim an i make fast movement from real life an in sim it works just fine an im saved

• Deleted member 963434

i mean if tey makin all games like that (yo got on grass yo gone) maybe then all online drivers would be more carefull knowin tey risking not finishing the race? not like today tey all go linatic overtakin on grass etc, if tey go on grass in all sims tey be more carefull

i mean if tey makin all games like that (yo got on grass yo gone) maybe then all online drivers would be more carefull knowin tey risking not finishing the race? not like today tey all go linatic overtakin on grass etc, if tey go on grass in all sims tey be more carefull

I understand your points and to an extent I agree and yes going on the grass should be a punishment so people "not like today tey all go linatic overtakin on grass etc" - I get that. I'm just making the point that warm early afternnoon temperatures in the middle of summer where it gets hot and dry there would be some grip. But I find the car loses grip so easily on the grass it spins and loses control as if it were on wet slippery grass. But yes I do agree with the outline of your points and IMO AMS2 still needs some fine tuning in this area that's all.

Latest News

What is your next sim related purchase

• DLC

Votes: 208 24.9%
  • Full game

Votes: 206 24.6%
  • CPU

Votes: 94 11.2%
  • Graphics card

Votes: 147 17.6%
  • Other PC related hardware

Votes: 93 11.1%