What are the most important DOF in a motion rig?

What are the most important DOF in a motion rig? Can anyone with some experience list the order of importance of heave/sway/surge/pitch etc? Also some advice about combining a platform mover vs GS5 seat or what combination to get.

It will vary in whether you are interested in more informational cues or immersive cues.

I like roll and heave. Feeling the subtle motions of the car get bumpy over the road surface and curbs, while also getting a bit of momentum sensation from turns with left right motion. The more immersive fluff.

Others may prefer sway, for cues on traction loss, or pitch for braking sensations. Each to help give some better semblance of the activity of the car to help with correction. It just varies on preference.

Think there is already a thread on GS5 with motion that is active for that question.

Last edited:
For me it would be Heave > Roll > Pitch > Surge > Yaw / Traction Loss.

I'm all for immersion experience. My reservation on the G-seat is the noise, which breaks immersion for me.

Heave > pitch > roll , never tried surge or sway (and doubt i’d want it with standalone monitors). Pitch before roll due to it adds brake and gearshift sensation.

Latest News

Back