Thoughts on Moving from Fanatec to Simucube

Hi. This is not a general “which is better” thread where the focus is on detail perfection. The reason is that I have a multi-system with Motion and so the wheel is not needed to simulate everything in the car.

I am generally happy with the DD2. My issues are:
-delays in game support (seems like all my sim HW supports F1 22 today, except Fanatec)
-confusion/complexity regarding tuning for games/cars
-the cost of podium hub (200$ US) needed for every non-Fanatec wheel
-the length of the drive shaft with podium hub creating issues of not being able to move the seat back enough
-the flex of QR1 and the cost of upgrading all my QR1 to QR2
- the general delay and lack of availablilty of announced products like higher end wheels and QR2

That said, the grass is always greener right? Maybe the reality is that Simucube has its own issues.

If you could share your thoughts that would be great!

Thanks!!

Last edited:
I believe Simucube has similar issues with software compatibility; for instance, I dont think Simucube works with FH5. I could be wrong though as I have never actually owned a Simucube.

I believe Simucube has similar issues with software compatibility; for instance, I dont think Simucube works with FH5. I could be wrong though as I have never actually owned a Simucube.

SC2 and VRS works on Forza Horizon 5, but requires installation of 3rd party game controller emulation software.

I have a SC2 and a VRS and in my view, motion and tactile through your chassis dilutes the FFB nuances coming through the wheel. Thus if moving to another wheel ecosystem is to chase improved FFB fidelity, then it's not worthwhile.

However if you're moving ecosystems due to cost of future peripherals or QA concerns, then that is worth considering for peace of mind.

Happy SC Owner here

The only "problem" I ever had with my wheel was was a loose antenna jack for the wireless connection.

GD issued a Service Bulletin (for Dummis with pictures) how to fix it yourself. As they did for other things like creaking wheel adapters.

As for software compatibility I haven't encountered problems there, but I check GD's Forums beforehand.

And I love the possibility to mount any wheel you want with oder without buttons.

For the Mazda MX5 for example I use a Fanatec R300 and Stick shift.

(Bought Quick Release and wheel used, 120€ for both :cool:)

MFG Carsten

Last edited:
Let me make it clear that I am not attempting to disparage Simucube in the least. My own research indicates the Simucube can be fantastic, especially in our premiere titles like acc, ac, ams2. Moreover, by pointing out that it has software compatibility issues like needing to rely on "third party controller emulation software" for titles like FH5, I simply meant to show the grass isnt always greener. I run an accuforce pro v2 DD wheel which has been pretty darn great but software support for ALL direct drive wheels has been spotty. And, this is true whether or not their drivers and force feedback follow microsoft standards.

For a time, I assumed Fanatec would have a lock on the DD market because it appeared most titles would support them out of the box. However, even their support has been somewhat spotty, especially in titles like FH5. So, the real question is how do we get newer publishers of games like solar crown or perhaps even need for speed to suppoort all DD wheels (accuforce, moza, simucube, and so many other worthy competitors) with at least generic force feedback on release? When that happens, we all win. Till it happens, though, Fanatec has a bit of an unfair advantage which has been undercut by its own reliability issues/internet perception issues.

To put it simply, I have been considering a move to Fanatec but not until their newer QRs become available and their reliability gets far better or their customer service at least in a few regions gets far quicker. I personally have owned one fanatec wheel, two fanatec pedal sets and one fanatec handbrake. So, I am not dead set against them by any means. In fact, I am cautiously optimistic that Fanatec can right itself in the next year or so. but I am not so optimistic that I am willing to bet another thousand bucks on them at the moment. First, I want to see Fanatec release a much improved QR system.

On the other hand, Thrustmaster will supposedly gain the same DD advantage Fanatec has with out of the box software support; And, while that could be cool, we all know, it isn't simply a matter of making the hardware anymore... So, I guess in the end, we're all questioning whether we've made the right choice at least until software publishers manage to support all of us out of the box.

(Had to edit wall of text I created on my phone....)

Last edited:
  • Deleted member 197115

They all are relying on generic DirectInput, if title does not support that standard, you need 3rd party proxy like Emuwheel for Forza.
I believe AF and Fanatec were able to cut a deal with T10 to support their hardware, SC cannot, T10 just doesn't respond to their requests, just like Saudis to Biden's calls. :roflmao:

And you may find this post useful.

Last edited by a moderator:
Based on this thread I am leaning towards staying with Fanatec. I have not had a single technical/HW issue. The game support has been broad as well. It sounds like other than the QR cost, I am not missing much (especially given that I have a motion and other systems that likely dilute, and definitely makes redundant, some of the nuance advantage that SC might have over Fanatec)

The one caveat is that I am really impressed with what SimXperience has done with gseat/belt and cloud tuning. I would consider a change to the next gen of their wheel, just to have full-perfect integration and control of seat, belt, and wheel.

Let me make it clear that I am not attempting to disparage Simucube in the least. My own research indicates the Simucube can be fantastic, especially in our premiere titles like acc, ac, ams2. Moreover, by pointing out that it has software compatibility issues like needing to rely on "third party controller emulation software" for titles like FH5, I simply meant to show the grass isnt always greener. I run an accuforce pro v2 DD wheel which has been pretty darn great but software support for ALL direct drive wheels has been spotty. And, this is true whether or not their drivers and force feedback follow microsoft standards.

For a time, I assumed Fanatec would have a lock on the DD market because it appeared most titles would support them out of the box. However, even their support has been somewhat spotty, especially in titles like FH5. So, the real question is how do we get newer publishers of games like solar crown or perhaps even need for speed to suppoort all DD wheels (accuforce, moza, simucube, and so many other worthy competitors) with at least generic force feedback on release? When that happens, we all win. Till it happens, though, Fanatec has a bit of an unfair advantage which has been undercut by its own reliability issues/internet perception issues.

To put it simply, I have been considering a move to Fanatec but not until their newer QRs become available and their reliability gets far better or their customer service at least in a few regions gets far quicker. I personally have owned one fanatec wheel, two fanatec pedal sets and one fanatec handbrake. So, I am not dead set against them by any means. In fact, I am cautiously optimistic that Fanatec can right itself in the next year or so. but I am not so optimistic that I am willing to bet another thousand bucks on them at the moment. First, I want to see Fanatec release a much improved QR system.

On the other hand, Thrustmaster will supposedly gain the same DD advantage Fanatec has with out of the box software support; And, while that could be cool, we all know, it isn't simply a matter of making the hardware anymore... So, I guess in the end, we're all questioning whether we've made the right choice at least until software publishers manage to support all of us out of the box.

(Had to edit wall of text I created on my phone....)
Really great perspective. Thank you!

I believe AF and Fanatec were able to cut a deal with T10 to support their hardware, SC cannot, T10 just doesn't respond to their requests, just like Saudis to Biden's calls. :roflmao:

The Accuforce was never officially supported in FH5 (For PC wheel manufacturers, official support is limited to Logitech, Thrustmaster and Fanatec) so I am doubtful about SimXperience cutting a deal in that regard. Looking at their previous title, FH4, for instance, I have since learned that although the Accuforce ultimately worked extremely well with the Microsoft Store version, Accuforce never really seemed to work with the Steam version. So, things aren't always what they seem.

As for contact with T10 with regard Forza Horizon and Forza Motorsports, I have seen/heard similar complaints throughout the industry. I believe T10/PG to be well intentioned but I picture them as incredibly understaffed. And, given the questionable QA responses (eg, oft repeated treasure hunt bugs on PC), I can only assume that they continue to be managed in an environment which is too focused on console users. Moreover, the lack of contact with PC peripheral makers will likely remain UNTIL Microsoft truly focuses on the PC as a gaming platform. In my mind, the XBox Gaming Pass for PC is still in its infancy. If it succeeds (meaning users continue their subscription beyond the initial 3 months for a buck deal into the $20+ per month realm), I would expect Microsoft to put pressure on XBox Game developers to accommodate PC users with the same dedication as console users. Till then... we will continue to be... lower on the priority list.

The one caveat is that I am really impressed with what SimXperience has done with gseat/belt and cloud tuning. I would consider a change to the next gen of their wheel, just to have full-perfect integration and control of seat, belt, and wheel.

I am currently running the Next Level Racing Motion Platform V3 (seat mover) and although it is obviously a compromise, it is remarkably quiet. So, I personally feel the SimXperience belt is currently too loud for home use. If the next version is much quieter (and hopefully cheaper) though, I'd be all over it....

I've a DD1. Previous F1 titles worked fine with all the wheels I have for it, so am curious why 2022 doesn't ? Must admit I'm surprised to read that it doesn't work.

Surely it's down to the game title devs to build the support, not the hardware guys who already have a working product?

I know the simucube ecosystem is likely a little 'better' but it's a costly switch, and for me, not worth the hassle. My shifter and handbrake (both Fanatec) plug into the wheelbase, and I've two wheelrims.

@netlaw Could you please clarify what you mean Fanatec doesn't support F1 22? I played it before the official launch using my DD1 and a clubsport formula v2 rim and I had no issues running any of that equipment. Or are you perhaps referring to recommended FFB configurations and such? To be honest I often found myself in the same boat. Contemplating a jump to a SC2. I think a big proponent in that decision is what you like to play. I spend most of my time playing in the F1 series because I almost exclusively race offline and I love the progression and depth of the my team mode. To that extent it seems I am best suited using Fanatec because of their partnership with codies and I have seen quite a few people report issues with SC on F1 series. But if you're more into ACC / Iracing SC may be the way to go.

I fully acknowledge Fanatecs shortcomings. I too find the tuning menu a bit underwhelming as building a good config on your own can be a bit daunting. I wish they had a better platform for users to share and rate other users profiles. They seem to rely on a single employee (Maurice) to provide the community with base profiles on their forum. I will say I do believe they have made big strides in improving their drivers. The latest 442 driver is substantially better than when I started around the 300 driver.

I have also grown frustrated with the lack of info on the QR2.0. To that extent I had printed the Z-Ring mod for my DD1 and I find it substantially better than the rubber ring they supply the unit with. This may not be everyone's cup of tea but I find it a worth while upgrade. I recently just upgraded my wheel to a podium hub using an APM and a Gomez sim industries formula pro elite and I absolutely love it. Just my two cents :thumbsup:

@netlaw Could you please clarify what you mean Fanatec doesn't support F1 22? I played it before the official launch using my DD1 and a clubsport formula v2 rim and I had no issues running any of that equipment. Or are you perhaps referring to recommended FFB configurations and such? To be honest I often found myself in the same boat. Contemplating a jump to a SC2. I think a big proponent in that decision is what you like to play. I spend most of my time playing in the F1 series because I almost exclusively race offline and I love the progression and depth of the my team mode. To that extent it seems I am best suited using Fanatec because of their partnership with codies and I have seen quite a few people report issues with SC on F1 series. But if you're more into ACC / Iracing SC may be the way to go.

I fully acknowledge Fanatecs shortcomings. I too find the tuning menu a bit underwhelming as building a good config on your own can be a bit daunting. I wish they had a better platform for users to share and rate other users profiles. They seem to rely on a single employee (Maurice) to provide the community with base profiles on their forum. I will say I do believe they have made big strides in improving their drivers. The latest 442 driver is substantially better than when I started around the 300 driver.

I have also grown frustrated with the lack of info on the QR2.0. To that extent I had printed the Z-Ring mod for my DD1 and I find it substantially better than the rubber ring they supply the unit with. This may not be everyone's cup of tea but I find it a worth while upgrade. I recently just upgraded my wheel to a podium hub using an APM and a Gomez sim industries formula pro elite and I absolutely love it. Just my two cents :thumbsup:
Correct. No profiles of recommended settings yet. Just upgraded to the cubecontrols FPro and not loving it. Awful grips ruin the whole thing. Maybe GSI is the way to go!

I've a DD1. Previous F1 titles worked fine with all the wheels I have for it, so am curious why 2022 doesn't ? Must admit I'm surprised to read that it doesn't work.

Surely it's down to the game title devs to build the support, not the hardware guys who already have a working product?

I know the simucube ecosystem is likely a little 'better' but it's a costly switch, and for me, not worth the hassle. My shifter and handbrake (both Fanatec) plug into the wheelbase, and I've two wheelrims.
Sorry. See my correction, F1 22 has some bugs in multiplayer, but I was referring to to delay in getting recommended settings and fanalab profiles launched

Sorry. See my correction, F1 22 has some bugs in multiplayer, but I was referring to to delay in getting recommended settings and fanalab profiles launched
Ah I see, yes they could certainly improve on the profiles front. I really think they need to focus on distributing community profiles with rating. There are many who will sink hours into fine tuning these things and most would be happy to use that. There is just not a sufficient platform as it stands.

Sorry to hear you're not enjoying your cube controls wheel. Honestly one of the big selling points to the GSI FPE to me was the grips. They are very robust and comfortable made from a silicone base so no gloves needed. On top of that Gomez offers a tremendous customer experience. I was able to watch my wheel get build by the owner (Jose) on a twitch live stream. He also runs a discord and is extremely responsive to customers on various fronts. Answering questions, tech support, or just chatting real racing. Couldn't be happier with my experience.

Latest News

Back