F1 2018 The "First Impressions" Thread

F1 2018 The Game (Codemasters)
Hello guys. Let's share our first impressions of the game here to help others decide.

I have been playing for ~2 hours. I haven't tried career/online yet, only time attack and grand prix.

So far I find the game much better than F1 2017. A major "pro" is the driving/handling, which is more predictable, direct, yet can be more punishing. From my point of view it's a decent step forward in our world of simulations. In my first race at Spa with a Sauber, with a lower downforce setting, I was constantly at the edge of grip at Eau Rogue/Radillion. I felt the car wanting to break loose, and I could correct it, because there is no more latency/input lag and the in game steering wheel is in sync with your physical wheel (finally).

Another "pro" is AI. Can be a very little bit more aggressive than optimal, but it races you. I had it set to 100 where I used it in F1 2017. With a midfield car I was fighting in the midfield. It was great. I had to think not to overtake a car before a long straight, because I was sure they will get back the position. For someone who likes AI races I think this is a great game.

Another pro is the ERS management. It is very engaging, tactical. Want to attack but low on excess fuel? Use more ERS instead. Vice versa. Having good pace but low on juice? Let's sit behind for a few laps with DRS, recharge the ERS, then attack. Much better than only engine management like in previous games. Fortunately I have a T300 with the F1 wheel so I can map all the buttons.

So as a racing title, I find F1 2018 to be a major step up from F1 2017, and I would personally recommend it to any sim racer who, of course, likes F1.

Now as a game... anti aliasing is still the same as F1 2017 (TAA), which is not very nice. The mirrors are still blurry and I was still getting lag spikes. I am trying a few tweaks to get rid of them, because they can be quite frustrating. Graphics are nicer regardless. Sounds are also a major step up, the Ferrari engine actually sounds like the Ferrari engine. Menus are more or less the same as the previous game. Menu music is more "chill".

These are all my opinions about the game. The more we share our experiences, the more we can help the others decide if they want to get this game. Feel free to ask questions.

Just a quick q re: hardware requirements. I run 2017 at max details on my GTX970 at 1440p with nvidia DSR downscaled to 1080p to negate the crappy TAA aliasing and make the game look good. How much more demanding is 2018? Or is it just the same?

Had a quick go last night at midnight, have to say it looks nice, sound imrpovements are great only thing im not liking is i usually buy it on xbox but this year ive gone for pc but still having to use xbox controller as i cant currently afford to buy a wheel and the controls just dont feel as responsive as they would default on console which means some fiddling is going to need to be done.

They've got the reliability down to a tee though 5 laps into my race i passed Ricciardo's red bull broken down at the side of the track which i did have a chuckle about.

Just a quick q re: hardware requirements. I run 2017 at max details on my GTX970 at 1440p with nvidia DSR downscaled to 1080p to negate the crappy TAA aliasing and make the game look good. How much more demanding is 2018? Or is it just the same?

its about the same tbh im running it completely maxxed out with my 980ti and its able to do a steady 130fps

My first impression is I am so, so glad you can disable the cockpit view wheel animation, as my FOV is set to replicate the cockpit in relation to my seat this is a major thing especially with Halo on screen as well. This is something that has not been available before.

FFB, Sound, GFX all improved. Can't wait to get stuck in, over a rainy bank holiday weekend in the UK.

So far well done codies.

gjcm.jpg

first impressions in the dry are ok, start in melbourne is wet and this happens...

Ok, so far so good after a short blast. I found the on track feeling was default at 10 so ramped that up and I can now feel bump city which I likey likey. Looks stunning. Only issue is when sat in pits, you press accelerate and it moves the camera and it's not until you start your flying lap that you get wheel control, I think this maybe because I've got pit on auto?

This is the first time ,I'm getting a headache from a f1 game. I guess it is the camera shaking in cockpit. The effect is put on 0 level but it still shakes.. that's annoying.
Maybe a little bit of stuttering aswell. other thing is the forcefeedback that sometimes gives the information too late. I'm thinking about putting some accelerator help on to prevent this and to have a rewind free playing experience.
other than these, it feels a good upgrade from last years game.. (a little bit more sim)

Pretty impressed after ten hours of game...FFB is great, sounds even better…what I found frustrating is that compared with 2017 i'm terribly slow...If I do a single GP with A.I. set to 94 the game is still enjoyable...going on career with the same difficulty with Sauber I can barely hit a 1.25 on qualify being slower about 3 second than the driver before me...

Latest News

What is your next sim related purchase

• DLC

Votes: 176 25.4%
  • Full game

Votes: 176 25.4%
  • CPU

Votes: 81 11.7%
  • Graphics card

Votes: 122 17.6%
  • Other PC related hardware

Votes: 78 11.3%