Simagic alpha mini

Anyone seen this?

Attachments

• RDT_20210626_1041033762824161132538247.jpg
    RDT_20210626_1041033762824161132538247.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 620
Interesting!
Hadn't heard even a single rumbling about this wheel prior.
Direct drive seem to becoming a more affordable option...though you still have to factor the cost of rims to complete the setup.
I will probably take a much more serious look, once I get a decent videocard in my system down the road.

Upvote 0
Simagic did the same bait and switch with the M10 and the Alpha. I am not sure whether it was them or the retailers that increased the price but before the reviews were out you could pick them up a good 40% cheaper than they ended up being. They were a decent bargain at their initial price, all be it a risk, after the few reviews rolled out however things changed and they were more expensive than the Accuforce and with a lot less history and trust behind it.

Upvote 0
Hi guys,
I'm considering the Alpha Mini as an option, but I need some information about it, which I can't find anywhere:

1) Some say that its real peak torque is 13 NM. I don't think so (should be 10). Is that true?

2) I would eventually use it as an OSW.
In fact, it can also be bought without quick release for 90 fewer € in Europe. But I don't know the actual shaft diameter (so I don't know which hub adapter should I buy for it - or even just if a working one exists for it -).

Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Kind Regards

Upvote 0
Hi guys,
I'm considering the Alpha Mini as an option, but I need some information about it, which I can't find anywhere:

1) Some say that its real peak torque is 13 NM. I don't think so (should be 10). Is that true?

2) I would eventually use it as an OSW.
In fact, it can also be bought without quick release for 90 fewer € in Europe. But I don't know the actual shaft diameter (so I don't know which hub adapter should I buy for it - or even just if a working one exists for it -).

Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Kind Regards
1) yes, it was first measured/posted by an iracing dev on their forum, but later others have measured the same results using a digital torque meter. The graph I saw puts it up to 12.75Nm. Coming from the 8Nm CSL DD I have no doubt the numbers are correct

2)the qr it comes with is seriously best in class.. it's a NRG type D-Spec, used on real cars so good enough for simracing... very easy to use and super secure. Can easily find 3rd party ones that work (4 balls on top 3 on bottom), even generics for like $30Euro, but some of the cheapos have tolerance issues that

Upvote 0
1) yes, it was first measured/posted by an iracing dev on their forum, but later others have measured the same results using a digital torque meter. The graph I saw puts it up to 12.75Nm. Coming from the 8Nm CSL DD I have no doubt the numbers are correct

2)the qr it comes with is seriously best in class.. it's a NRG type D-Spec, used on real cars so good enough for simracing... very easy to use and super secure. Can easily find 3rd party ones that work (4 balls on top 3 on bottom), even generics for like $30Euro, but some of the cheapos have tolerance issues that

Thank you very much.
Would you post a link to the mentioned graph? I'm quite curious about it.
Do you maybe know the diameter of its shaft? That's crucial for getting a hub adapter.
I'm anyway NOT going to use the integrated quick release, because it's basically way too expensive.
It may only be ideal for people planning to use just one, or at most 2 rims ( ...or very rich people).

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Alright, I noticed that there's no need of buying another hub: it's enough to dismount the integrated QR and disconnect the tiny connector of the coil (as shown on the SRG review on YT). Afterwards it's possible to mount whatever QR system by using M5 screws, since the original hub already has a standard 6 x 70 mm holes pattern. Very good!

Still remains the mistery about the peak torque. No reviewer ever said that it feels stronger than 10 NM. The manufacturer theirselves say that it's 10 NM peak... why should they have done that, if they had almost 13 NM at their disposal?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I am also torn between Simagic Alpha Mini/Alpha and VRS Direct Force Pro wheelbase.

The Simagic GT Pro button plate would appeal to me for a multi-function wheel for the VRS base if it had an affordable USB connectivity option like the Simagic FX Pro.

Upvote 0
Alright, I noticed that there's no need of buying another hub: it's enough to dismount the integrated QR and disconnect the tiny connector of the coil (as shown on the SRG review on YT). Afterwards it's possible to mount whatever QR system by using M5 screws, since the original hub already has a standard 6 x 70 mm holes pattern. Very good!

Still remains the mistery about the peak torque. No reviewer ever said that it feels stronger than 10 NM. The manufacturer theirselves say that it's 10 NM peak... why should they have done that, if they had almost 13 NM at their disposal?
The original hub is a different hole pattern on the wheelbase side, Simagic has their own beefy shaft collar thing the base side of the QR mates to which is like 57mm/6hole, which I've seen people drill into other qrs or used a Dremel to open up the holes. Bases all ship with the shaft/base side already on it though and beyond that there are aftermarket NRG D-Spec knock off QR's that mate with it you can find as low as $30. Besides being cheap and common in real cars, I wouldn't trade 2 of any other qr for 1 of these it's so solid and easy to change rims.

Here's a link to the iracing guy that first measured it https://forums.iracing.com/discussion/comment/83870#Comment_83870

Here's a pic of an independent torque sweep that was done after the iracing guy. I have one and have no reason to doubt this, my 8Nm CSL DD felt like a toy by comparison. It also mathematically jives. Full size Alpha is 15Nm and ~15mm longer and torque vs motor body length are roughly linear so it can be extrapolated. If the mini is 13NM at 162mm long (motor body) that's 0.0802NM per mm. If I multiply that by 188, the length of the full size Alpha I get 15.08Nm. Maybe Simagic downplays torque values as a long term marketing strategy?
FCGddcN.jpeg

Here's a link the guy that made the graph's comment.. https://old.reddit.com/r/simracing/comments/qw0kks/simagic_alpha_vs_alpha_mini/hnodimt/

Upvote 0
as far as I know:

- the Simagic holes pattern (as well as the Moza holes pattern) is 6 x 70 mm. Only Thrustmaster has 6 x 58 mm; Logitech has 6 x 53 and 6 x 55 (if I remember well).
The fact that Simagic uses automotive 6 x 70 mm is clearly explained by the Boosted Media channel here for the M10 (the M10 has both 6 x 70 mm and 6 x 74 mm) from 09:25 to 12:25:

- it is not possible to use cheap 30 dollars ebay Quick Releases on Moza / Simagic, because they do not fit. "D1 Spec" type quick releases are needed instead (which are much more expensive), as clearly explained here by the Sim Racing Corner channel:

maybe it's possible to switch also the female side on every single rim?
Probably yes, but in that case the rims' connectivity to the base gets lost ('cause they won't receive power through the coil any more)

- regarding that graph, it does not mean anything to me: it really looks like having been simply invented (what do we have on the horizontal axis?).
The fact that many people feel very comfortable with their Alpha Mini probably just means that they only (or mainly) use 28 ~ 30 cm rims.
This obviously doesn't imply that reality may be mistaken for what many people would like it to be.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Latest News

Back