Sim hub ShakeIt setup limited to Two Channels

Hey everyone. I posted this question on the Simhub Discord message board as well. I’ve been in the process of building a new rig for the past two months. Up until yesterday I was using ShakeIt for a single buttkicker mini lfe under the seat which worked great. Yesterday, I added four buttkicker mini life’s, one at each corner of the chassis. In the process of setting this up I was using the test channel function in Shakeit to identify which is which. It seemed that the output from the sound card would only work for two channels even though ShakeIt recognized that eight channels were available. I am using a USB sound card (Vantec 7.1) that I suspect may be the issue? Even though ShakeIt recognizes 8 channels there is a warning message to use a dedicated sound card. I have installed the specific drivers for the unit and checked them in the soundcard properties. I’ve ordered an internal soundcard to try but would rather use the usb card if possible. Ultimately I plan on having seven channels - just waiting on a power supply for an amplifier. Another thing that happens is that when you test other channel, either one of the two channels that work will activate. I have swapped cables from the soundcard and all amps, wiring, buttkicker are good. Sorry if I’m unclear On this and thanks for any help.

First, be certain that ShakeIt OUTPUT SELECTION reports "Connected (8 channels available)";
it will show 8 channels by Custom channel map, even if channels are not available.

Second, an Amazon review for Vantec NBA-200U 7.1 Channel Adapter warns to download Vantec's driver
https://vantecusa.com/search_dl.php?keyword=NBA-200U

Third, select 7.1 Surround in Sound Control panel > Configure > Speaker Setup
setup.png

Thanks blekenbleu. The output selection does say “connected (8 channels available)”. I have downloaded and installed the vantec drivers and confirmed the driver version in windows setup for the card. It is also setup for 7.1 in windows - it will only do two channels if you don’t install the vantec driver. The one anomaly
C68F852A-FF70-44F8-8AAE-8AEF7EBC3B32.jpeg
is the warning message in red that appears on the attached screenshot.

Ok replacing the usb sound card with an internal (Asus Xonar AE) fixed it. I may have been missing something on the external Vantec but I got tired of messing with it.

Ok replacing the usb sound card with an internal (Asus Xonar AE) fixed it. I may have been missing something on the external Vantec but I got tired of messing with it.
+Bill, how do you like the kickers at the corners of your rig? I've been thinking of doing the same.

Thanks,
Steve

+Bill, how do you like the kickers at the corners of your rig? I've been thinking of doing the same.

Thanks,
Steve
Steve

i like them but at least a couple things. I have a Simlab P1X which is pretty stout. I also do not have a proper racing seat but more of an upholstered auto sport seat. The rear transducers (and the one under the seat) give reasonable feedback but the fronts are marginal. I had buttkicker lfes on the corners of my previous diy wooden rig and they seemed to be more effective. I’m currently powering each buttkicker with a 200 watt amplifier and plan to add a couple smaller Daytons to the pedal tray - possibly with some type of isolation. Mr Latte is the expert on these things and I suspect what I have isn’t optimal though I certainly miss it when it’s turned off. Good luck.

Here's a solution for those who come after with the same issue. Like the info presented above, you need to do a few things first.

1. Install the Vantec NBA-200U drivers from their website

2a. Configure the new sound device to use 7.1 instead of stereo in the Windows settings (Sound Control panel > Configure > Speaker Setup)

2b. After 2a, your SimHub should now reflect "8 channels" in green text next to the USB card. You may need to disable/enable the USB card on the SimHub screen to see the change. Just verify that it does show 8.

3. This was the critical missing piece for me! Make sure that you ALSO open/modify the settings found in the new device specific app that came with the new drivers. You should see a blue icon in the lower right system tray. The first tab within the app has some settings for Inputs and Outputs, and you'll want to make sure the Output is set to 7.1 here as well. The rainbow graphic to the right should also reflect all speakers/colors now instead of just the two front speakers.

With any luck, you can go back into SimHub now, and each channel test should have a strong 1-to-1 relationship with each output channel off the USB Card. Cheers.

Latest News

Back