AC RSS GT @ Road Atlanta - Sunday 19th June 2022

Assetto Corsa Racing Club event

Interslice

Club Staff
Premium
Welcome to the RD Assetto Corsa Racing Club. This Sunday we're heading to Road Atlanta for some GT racing! Too soon?

Join us!

This is the place to be for relaxed, friendly racing and our events are open to everybody from rookies to the seasoned pros. You will always find people around your level to battle with, so jump on in!
If you need any help don't hesitate to ask on discord before the race, or right here on the forum! We are always happy to help.

All premium members using their full real name in the forum, in game and discord can sign up for this event.

Link to the RD community on S.GP is here. You need to sign-up and join to access our race servers.

Need a warm-up or want to start online/multiclass racing at a gentler pace? There is an MX-5/Audi TT multi-class every Wednesday. We also run a practice server all week for both events.

RoadAtlanta2017.png

• Practice Server: #12 (Available throughout the race week)
  • Race server: Simracing.gp - Frankfurt
  • 20:00 CEST, 19:00 DST, 18:00 UTC | 1 hour 20minutes - Official Practice
  • 21:20 CEST, 20:20 DST, 19:20UTC) | 30 minutes - Qualification
  • 21:50 CEST, 20:50 DST, 19:50 UTC) | 60 minutes - Race

Cars:

DLC is required for this event

• Tornado v12 - Lister Storm GT
  • Vortex v10 - Dodge Viper GTS-R
  • Ferruccio 55 v12 - Ferrari Maranello GTS 550
  • Lanzo v12 - Lambo Murcielago R-GT
  • Shadow v8 - Saleen S7R
  • Ferruccio 57 v12 - Ferrari Maranello 575 GTC

Link to purchase car pack

Event details:
  • Track: Road Atlanta
  • Pit stop: Mandatory (Between 10 and 50 minutes)
  • Track Temps: 21C Air / 26C Track
  • Track Condition: Clear, Light wind
  • Damage: 10%
  • Assists: Factory
  • Standing Start: Jump Start = Drive through penalty
  • Further info on simracing.gp

Useful Links:

Last edited:
A message to all Drivers

If you run off track, you must check to see that its clear before you re enter the track. Always try to re-enter the track parallel to the racing line. Stay off the racing line until you are up to race speed and do not block any fast approaching car.

When joining the track from the pits, remain inside the white line and stay off the racing line until you are up to speed.

During qualification, do not race on your out lap, let other drivers by.

Golden Rule
  1. If you hit somebody, sending them off the track and carry on like nothing happened, you take the risk of being banned for 30 days.
  2. Instead, you should always wait for the affected drivers, and that way you can be 100% sure you will not get a ban.
Track limits
  1. No more than 2 wheels over the white/yellow line without a lift of the gas please.
    You will be penalized if you break our rules
Note: Please use your full real name in Discord. Not doing so may result in you being kicked from the server if an admin cannot identify you as a premium member.

This one should be fun :)

Any clues to helping the low framerates here? Maybe deleting some of the track's files? I'm usually a solid 60 but even with no other cars on track I'm having a mid 30s stutterfest going down those esses.

This one should be fun :)

Any clues to helping the low framerates here? Maybe deleting some of the track's files? I'm usually a solid 60 but even with no other cars on track I'm having a mid 30s stutterfest going down those esses.
Is it happening in replays too?

If you really want to know what's going on, you need to enable "developer apps" in content manager - Assetto corsa - apps.

Then go on track and search for the graphic stats and render stats apps.
The icons are different depending on your csp version and settings but you should find them. When active, they look like this:
1620046458509.png

The important values are:
- FT for frame time (ms between the single frames)
- Main_t for cpu single core usage
- CPU for the cpu frame time
- Diff for the difference in cpu frame time to actual frame time (basically cpu headroom)

And then also very important:
The blue and red line!
Blue = cpu frame time
Red = graphics card frame time

Whatever line is higher is the fps bottleneck.

Now with both apps active, do some laps and if you can, record them somehow with a camera to not take away performance from your pc.
If it's also happening in replays, it makes things a lot easier to film ofc :p

Then look at the values and the two lines when the fps drop and you'll know if it's your cpu or gpu and then we can adjust your settings.

There are very few settings to improve cpu frame time but a lot of settings that influence GPU frame time.
So before changing random things and hoping for the best, we should find out what's happening.

The new Lidar data based Road Atlanta is very fresh and modern track so it can either be a bit overwhelming for older hardware or it might use some csp features that bring any modern hardware to its knees.

Thanks for the reply :thumbsup:

It is the GPU (red line) that is spiking in game and even moreso in replays just on a couple of sections of the track. The author states that the track still needs optimizing and he plans to do it sometime in the future.

I have an old system: i5 4670K, 8GB RAM, GTX1060 but it runs most cars/tracks very well at fairly high settings in AC, solid 60 (locked) but I could do with making a setting that throttles things back just for races like this one.

Thanks for the reply :thumbsup:

It is the GPU (red line) that is spiking in game and even moreso in replays just on a couple of sections of the track. The author states that the track still needs optimizing and he plans to do it sometime in the future.

I have an old system: i5 4670K, 8GB RAM, GTX1060 but it runs most cars/tracks very well at fairly high settings in AC, solid 60 (locked) but I could do with making a setting that throttles things back just for races like this one.
Since it happens in replays:
Can you film a video with your phone with the 2 render apps open in the middle of the screen so I can see the data but also where you are on the track?
I'll do the same and then compare.
Maybe I can quickly see if something is wrong!

There are a few different things coming to my mind:
- vsync dropping fps to 30 when dropping slightly below 60

- some csp stuff causing performance variance across the lap. Like reflections, grass, ambient occlusion etc
What csp version are you on?

- hud apps causing hiccups in certain places (would be more cpu related though)

If you know how, send me your full csp settings profile (csp general tab, save preset at the bottom, then "share link").
Send the link in here, the website name will be changed with **** but I only need the end of the link, so it'll work.

I'll load your csp preset and have a look for a possible cause. Only takes a minute :)

I found running the video benchmark quite useful for getting a baseline FPS. You can then try switching GPU candy down and see what effect it has on the benchmark FPS. If you aim for something like 90fps in the benchmark then it stands a chance of hitting 60fps on this circuit. I found reflections the most GPU intensive so switching that off it would be interesting to then know what happens to the benchmark FPS.

I picked up a cheap GTX 1660 Super OC off eBay and it's made a big difference to what FPS I can get now. Now that crypto is crashing we might find GPUs start dropping in price :)

Oh boy this track is fun with these cars. Just on the edge of in control and too much power :inlove: I know it's my inner american speaking, but I would love to take them out around Watkins Glen and Road America :)

As for setup for the Ferruccio 55 v12 - Low Aero is what I'm currently running and stable was an earlier set up with a few less tweaks and more wing. Open to any feedback on my setup / any tips on how to keep the car from bouncing so much over the chicane before the esses :thumbsup:

Attachments

• Testing Low Aero.ini
    1.4 KB · Views: 50
  • Testing Stable.ini
    1.4 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:
I found running the video benchmark quite useful for getting a baseline FPS. You can then try switching GPU candy down and see what effect it has on the benchmark FPS. If you aim for something like 90fps in the benchmark then it stands a chance of hitting 60fps on this circuit. I found reflections the most GPU intensive so switching that off it would be interesting to then know what happens to the benchmark FPS.

I picked up a cheap GTX 1660 Super OC off eBay and it's made a big difference to what FPS I can get now. Now that crypto is crashing we might find GPUs start dropping in price :)
Yup, that been happening for months. Mining has not been profitable in the UK for a while now. The bottom fell out of that earlier in the year with changes to network fees and enormous amounts of hash rate from ASIC miners dominating the pools. Even at high prices mining Ethereum was barely profitable after that The recent crashes are just the cherry on top for everyone else meaning a 3090 has gone from earning you less than £1 a day 3 months ago to pennies or now a loss with energy costs rising (Early to mid 2021 £15 a day)

If Nvidia do a better job of the 4000 series launch ( which is debatable given supply chain problems are still rife) they will drop more. My current view is we are reaching a fair value for 2nd hand GPUs about now as miners are not interested in them so only their value to gamers is driving the price.

Last edited:
As for setup for the Ferruccio 55 v12 - Low Aero is what I'm currently running and stable was an earlier set up with a few less tweaks and more wing. Open to any feedback on my setup / any tips on how to keep the car from bouncing so much over the chicane before the esses :thumbsup:

Road Atlanta is quite bumpy, I think your setup is maybe a little too low/stiff with not enough downforce? I kept loosing the rear slightly at speeds and points where it should have had enough grip(Cresting the final hill towards start/finish). Maybe loosen up the suspension a little and raising it a bit to try and get some of the mechanical grip back whilst maintaining low wing?

Currently my own basics setup is almost 1.5 seconds faster when I am driving. I only changed the ARB to full, a notch or two down on the rear wing(12 vs 14 by default IIRC) and setup the tyre pressure. Though keep in mind this may be down to my driving style. I really gotta figure out how to quickly setup the cambers and such to my liking at one point.

Attachments

• V1.ini
    1.4 KB · Views: 53
@Interslice Not 100% sure I can make Sunday, but is it OK to sign up now or should I leave until last min? (sorry, still unfamiliar with SGP :) )

If I can, might try the Ferrari 55, seems very edgy compared to the Saleen, but faster mebe :unsure:

Thanks Rasmus, here's the link to my csp settings.......

....hope that works

And a YT video of a lap around Atlanta.....

Sorry, afternoon didn't went as expected so only managed to take a look now...
Link worked!

The video shows no tearing but limited 60 fps, so you're using some kind of syncing I guess?
Are you using gsync/freesync or normal vsync?
If you're using normal vsync, the fps will show "52" for example, but the gpu buffer will hold the next frame back and send the same frame to the monitor for a second time.
Resulting in an instant drop to 30 fps. Going from 16.67ms to 33.34ms is a visible stutter for our eyes.

If you're using gsync or freesync, the monitor will slow down to "52" Hz and you shouldn't see stutters with the smooth fps fluctuation visible in the performance stats.

Anyway, it looks like normal GPU-Load fluctuations, but it's right on the edge across the whole lap.

Looking in your CSP preset:
  1. Car instruments: I personally have the whole extensions disabled. Might take some GPU load!

2. Extra FX:
    1. Temporal anti-aliasing: it's awesome, I love it. But you should only use 2x msaa in the standard AC then. Otherwise it's tanking performance!
    2. Local reflections (SSLR): They are REALLY heavy on the performance. I personally disable them.
    3. Extra space-screen lighting (e.g. sparks): Pretty heavy too.. Not the sparks, but the lighting stuff (no idea what exactly, but it's not just sparks)
    4. Simple light bounce emulation: I'd guess it's pretty heavy on the GPU too
    5. Volumetric headlights: Not sure if this does anything in daylight, but either way you won't need it for our clubraces :p
  3. Fake shadows FX: I personally disable the whole extension. How often do you see cars jumping in clubraces? :roflmao: I mean Road Atlanta would probably be a good candidate to actually see it, but do you really need adjusting fake shadows beneath the cars then...? :laugh:

4. Grass FX: You're using "Use smoother blending with MSAA". What's your MSAA setting currently? Maybe only using 2x already helps?
    I never measured it, but I'd guess it has some impact on the GPU... I personally don't need any of the checkboxes for the grass fx. Try without them. If the grass is flickering too much, test "Extra FX pass" instead to apply TAA instead of MSAAA. Might be better or way worse, no idea...

5. Lighting FX: I'd disable the whole extension for clubracing. We don't have night races anyway so no need for additional lights, headlights etc.

6. Particles FX: It looks awesome but from my experience it really kills the GPU. Might be fine with only you on the track but as soon as people will slide across the grass in Sector 1 (believe me, they will!!), you'll have a stutter fest...

7. Reflections FX: I like it and it should be fine. You unchecked "Use proper physically based sampling". Any reason for this? Make sure to set reflections rendering frequency in the normal AC graphics settings to "One face per frame". Reflections FX smoothes it out!

8. Smart Mirror: Do you need it? It's mainly for VR so not sure if you actually need adjusted mirrors? I personally disable the whole extension. It's quite performance heavy! Although probably more on the CPU, not the GPU...

9. Track adjustments: You have disabled ALL spectators?!?!?!?! How dare you?! :roflmao:
    But you also have "Allow seasonal adjustments" active. Road Atlanta looks fine in the video, but I'd advise to disable this for clubracing here. Had some weird Winter tracks when I forgot to disable it :laugh:

10. Weather FX: I have SOL/pure uninstalled and also this whole extension disabled. Might look prettier but I didn't see much difference without the servers supporting it...

Everything I didn't mention seems fine :)

If you want to try my config:
As you know, change the **** to acstuff[dot]ru

And here are my normal AC graphics settings:
1655334106245.png

If you want to try my "rather blueish, don't fall asleep, nice contrast" pp filter (natural mod modified a little):

Wow Rasmus, you've given me lots to look at there.... thank you so much. I'll go through those recommendations one by one (probably using AC benchmark at first) to see what impact they have and I'll try to give some feedback on the results.

I currently use standard in-game vsync and 60 fps cap because it seems to be the only way to keep things smooth going through corners but I'll disable these for my testing. I am indeed using 8x MSAA so that seems like a possible big hit straight away! I'm one of those people that go through phases of trying to improve my settings while not having a clue what I'm actually doing, only to eventually turn everything back up and hope for the best :laugh: Thanks again!

Latest News

Back