Removing Accuforce QR from Sam Maxwell SMZ1 wheel

I'm thinking of getting a Simucube 2 and don't see an obvious way to remove the QR from this wheel. I'd like to keep the wheel but the QR needs to come off.
It is an expensive unit and I do not want to damage it but it looks like I would have to disassemble the wheel.
Any experience or ideas from anyone?

w/QR
iu

without QR
F2BackLarge.jpg

SMZ1side.jpg

iu

Last edited:
Should be an easy enough job if you are careful opening up from the front.

Alternatively you could go the other way and convert the SimuCube to work with the Accuforce quick release.

That's what I plan to do when I upgrade from my Accuforce.

This adapter will work for example:

Alternatively you could go the other way and convert the SimuCube to work with the Accuforce quick release.
Thank you for your reply crooksy.

I have decided to use the Ascher Racing 70 mm adapter instead of taking the wheel apart.
I watched SRG's Barry Rowland (no relation ... I think) use that adapter and it seemed to work very well. The SMZ1 is a very expensive wheel and I don't want to coitus up the wheel by taking it apart just to use the SC2 QR. I would never get anywhere near the dough back from selling it so I'll keep it for now. Sam Maxwell has been out of the business for a while so I can't get any info there.
Fingers crossed ...

I think you'll be fine Eric, I have built a few wheels and I am certain the insides of that wheel aren't complicated. The only risk will be pulling a wire off its soldered point, so you just have to be careful opening it up. If you have a soldering iron it's a simple fix to re-solder a wire.

I have so many AF quick releases that there's no going back and no point really to swap them all out for all my wheels.

Last edited:
Let us know if the upgrade is worth it. I have thought about this same setup as well, but love the Sim Commander software. The cloud profiles let me spend more time racing and less time setting things up, and can tweak so many different settings. Scared to give that up, so any feedback would be appreciated once you get everything setup.

However, thanks to inflation, not sure many upgrades are in my future :(.

Last edited:
Let us know if the upgrade is worth it. I have thought about this same setup as well, but love the Sim Commander software. The cloud profiles let me spend more time racing and less time setting things up, and can tweak so many different settings. Scared to give that up, so any feedback would be appreciated once you get everything setup.

However, thanks to inflation, not sure many upgrades are in my future :(.
I'm in the same boat I'm reasonably happy with my AF2 after many many hours tweaking the settings to something I like that works consistently well (I don't like the cloud tuning so have it disabled).

I sent an email to SimXperience asking about an AF3, I'd love them to make a new one with an upgraded motor - I'd hold out a year or two for that rather than get a SC2 but I never got a reply

Latest News

Back