Question about Logitech G27 wheel resolution

Hello friends, I’m in the process of building a wheel to replace my G27, and I’m comparing encoder options. My new build that I’m loosely following calls for a 1000 ppr (pulse per revolution) encoder, but I have a 360ppr encoder already on hand, which would equal a resolution of 1 deg. How does this compare to the resolution of a G27, or other popular mid-level wheels?

Other people will hopefully have definitive info, but G27s appear to have either 30- or 60-slot encoders on the motor (newer ones are 30-slot), with a roughly 16:1 ratio from the gearing; possibly 180/11 = 16.36.
So that'd be 490 or 980 ppr - somewhat better resolution than your approach, but not night vs day (I'm assuming that you're talking about putting the encoder on the wheel shaft itself).
If I had to guess I'd say that 360 ppr is on the low side but it's not that much lower than the newer G27s so maybe you'd get away with it.

Other people will hopefully have definitive info, but G27s appear to have either 30- or 60-slot encoders on the motor (newer ones are 30-slot), with a roughly 16:1 ratio from the gearing; possibly 180/11 = 16.36.
So that'd be 490 or 980 ppr - somewhat better resolution than your approach, but not night vs day (I'm assuming that you're talking about putting the encoder on the wheel shaft itself).
If I had to guess I'd say that 360 ppr is on the low side but it's not that much lower than the newer G27s so maybe you'd get away with it.
Thank you so much, this is exactly the info I was looking for! I think mine is a 30-slot (already repaired it once), but I forgot the encoder is on the motor for the G27, it'll be on the wheel shaft for my new build. I definitely want to take a step forward in resolution, so I think I'll save my 360ppr encoders for another project and go for something north of 1000ppr.

Latest News

Back