Niels Heusikveld tests AMS 2.

The "short version" I got from this was that there is unexpected lack of turn in and unexpected tendancy to slide when you are not necessarily (or in your own impression) over driving it and that the FFB is not direct enough to convey this (somewhat vague). This in turn causes some excess tire heating.

He tested 1 car and 1 track only. Stock Car v8 @ Interlagos.

The good part is he still give Reiza pointers even if he doesnt work directly with them on AMS2, and now he is testing AMS2 and will hopefully give some info on what he thinks.

Last edited:
As his title suggests the video was way too long, but that's because he was enjoying driving so much.
My impression was that he felt it was different, not worse, than AMS1. He said the front turn in was different but AMS1 wasn't necessarily more realistic. He also said the ffb in AMS1 was perhaps too strong and AMS2 was a perhaps too weak: the middle ground might be best.

Yes, I think that's the point he was trying to make quite strongly - it's definitely not bad, it's its own thing to an extent (which is perfectly fine), and please stop considering AMS1 as some gold standard of realism and sim FFB because it might not be as flawless and perfect as you think. (And also "what you think race cars behave like might not be completely accurate as well".)

Yes, I think that's the point he was trying to make quite strongly - it's definitely not bad, it's its own thing to an extent (which is perfectly fine), and please stop considering AMS1 as some gold standard of realism and sim FFB because it might not be as flawless and perfect as you think. (And also "what you think race cars behave like might not be completely accurate as well".)
True, but AMS is really fun and really responsive and have great FFB. Might not be accurate but as Niels say, and i tend to agree, its the sim where you have the most fun and feel its the best in your mind that is the "best" sim for you. Basing it off Niels enjoyment from all his AMS1 videos where he drives difficult cars on the limit, and i cant do what he does in those cars, then you can clearly see he really loves AMS and how it handles. Nevertheless im looking forward to AMS2 and i hope Niels give them some pointers on his personal subjective view of what he thinks because if a guy like that really love a sim and can drive difficult cars on the limit like a god and enjoy himself immensly then there is something to that sim and how it handles physics and FFB.

I didn’t realize he wasn’t with Reiza.. I thought he was in charge of the physics over there
In AMS1 yes. In AMS2 no. He gives pointers behind the scenes though and that is good to know. AMS1 was one of the sims i thought was a nothing burger until i tested it. Thought it felt more realistic and more reponsive with great FFB compared to AC for example which to me feels too simple and sort of dampened with a lot of FFB deadzone. After that i bought rF2 which i also thought was a nothing burger and was blown away of how much funnier it is to drive in those and how detailed and powerful the FFB is. Just feels more alive. More realistic? Dont know, but definitely more alive and for me personally they give me a bigger smile on my face when driving fast and hard. I speak for no one but myself. Thats my experience. Tested ACC a couple of times but its not on the same level for me personally.

In AMS1 yes. In AMS2 no. He gives pointers behind the scenes though and that is good to know. AMS1 was one of the sims i thought was a nothing burger until i tested it. Thought it felt more realistic and more reponsive with great FFB compared to AC for example which to me feels too simple and sort of dampened with a lot of FFB deadzone. After that i bought rF2 which i also thought was a nothing burger and was blown away of how much funnier it is to drive in those and how detailed and powerful the FFB is. Just feels more alive. More realistic? Dont know, but definitely more alive and for me personally they give me a bigger smile on my face when driving fast and hard. I speak for no one but myself. Thats my experience. Tested ACC a couple of times but its not on the same level for me personally.

Yep, we totally agree. I felt like Automobilista 1 physics was what rF2 should have been.. sort of rFactor 1.5

It may be because my first taste of real FFB was rFactor 1 (coming from Gran Turismo on a G25) but I’ve always felt “at home” with the sort of feel that I get with rF2. I feel like I understand what the tires are doing and where the limit is.

AC and ACC look and sound great and are real fun to drive but even today I feel like AMS1 is the king of FFB. The only thing that made me uninstall it was the dated looking graphics.

Latest News

What is your next sim related purchase

• DLC

Votes: 208 24.9%
  • Full game

Votes: 206 24.6%
  • CPU

Votes: 94 11.2%
  • Graphics card

Votes: 147 17.6%
  • Other PC related hardware

Votes: 93 11.1%