My Review of the new DSD uBox - beware, be wary

Hey all,

I wanted to share my experience so far with the DSD uBox Type A, the one with the rotary encoders. Such a great design for the setup, but the encoders are not high enough quality to be usuable in a semi-serious setup.

As it is you can use the push button function of the encoder, but not the rotation. Or you can use the rotation, but know you can't get a level of reliability or accuracy in the dial. My only use for them so far is for changing the channel and volume in American Truck Sim. Couldn't use them to change ARB or brake balance.

What's worse is that the manufacturer was adamant it was working to spec. I sent my unit back to him and he sent me the same unit back. Shady.

My video highlights the issues.

It is still usable for about 85% of the labeled functions. I would be mindful of that if considering a purchase.

I have not heard anything after the new unit was sent. Not sure if its worth getting into it and having him get defensive. I'll use it as a partial button box, its better than nothing. I don't expect the warranty support to be too great considering they let a defective part leave the shop twice. Its a shame b/c the design has so much potential to let 4 bad encoders take it down. Maybe I'm on the "bleeding edge" and he'll get a new supplier after a few more production runs. But the comments where that the unit was tested and functioning to spec when it left the first time.

It's a shame because, relative to the price of the box, quality encoders are not that expensive (especially when buying in bulk). It's not the best solution but if you're not going to pursue a warranty claim, why not open it up and replace the encoders?
I got the same board 3 months ago but It's been sitting on my desk waiting until I can design a mount for it. I'll have to check it today. I can vouch that it works great as a paper weight!

Latest News

Back