My Feedback on Triple LG 48” Gaming Monitors

Hi,
There have been lots of discussions about ultra wide vs triple monitors. I have been using a Samsung ultra-wide for the last year. I had wanted to try triples, but always wondered about diminishing returns for smaller monitors and felt the 55” and 65” monitors would be too big. In short, I didn’t know in either direction so I stuck with Ultra-wide…….until now….

I just learned that LG recently released a new 48” OLED gaming monitor (not a TV). They were on sale last week so I took the plunge. Here are my straight up observations:

-OLED is OLED - picture is awesome

-Display Port made the difference for me. I wanted to connect all 3 to my PC without compromises suffered by TVs without DP (i.e., loss of VRR, GSyc, refresh rate)

-48” monitors are big and you need space, but not an extreme amount of space. I am happy I did not go bigger.

-120hz is enough (some ultra wides run at 240hz)

-There is no discernible visual degradation when running at 1440p instead of the monitors’ native resolution (done to avoid over-taxing the video card)

-The Surprise: a bigger monitor exaggerates on-screen movements which can increase the chance of motion-sickness for those who are sensitive to it. I had to bump up the power/intensity of my dbox some to re-sync what my body was feeling vs what my eyes were seeing. As I reflect now, motion-sensitivity is a key reason for me starting to explore motion over a year ago [I needed something to bring my senses in-line].

-I experience a greater sense of elevation change (probably because the image is closer to one-to-one scale). Once again the motion system helps to compensate.

-If certain games, like DR 2, don’t actually support triples, the bigger size exaggerates artifacts like side distortion.

-Because all 3 respond to the same remote control signal, I have to adjust settings one at a time (unplugging the other two)

-They deserve a good stand if you want them to line up, and while I ordered one, I am currently using separate stands on wheels - a real pain but doable.

Last edited:
  • Deleted member 197115

-Display Port made the difference for me. I wanted to connect all 3 to my PC without compromises suffered by TVs without DP (i.e., loss of VRR, GSyc, refresh rate)
NVidia supports VRR/GSync on LG TVs via HDMI since 2019.

Latest News

Back