Tracks Making Water More Blue

Hello,

I am trying to update my personal Monaco 1966 to have less 'white' reflective water. I imagined it would be some kind of shader setting, however I cannot find in the files where the reflectiveness of water is controlled. Can someone point me in the right direction as to what controls the reflectiveness and color of water at a circuit? At other circuits the water appears more natural looking, so I believe it to be something specific to this version of Monaco.

I appreciate the help!

Screenshot_f1_1958_vanwall_vw5_test_monaco_1966_30-10-120-20-59-0.jpg

Hello,

I am trying to update my personal Monaco 1966 to have less 'white' reflective water. I imagined it would be some kind of shader setting, however I cannot find in the files where the reflectiveness of water is controlled. Can someone point me in the right direction as to what controls the reflectiveness and color of water at a circuit? At other circuits the water appears more natural looking, so I believe it to be something specific to this version of Monaco.

I appreciate the help!

View attachment 423678
You're looking for the fresnelC, fresnelMax and fresnelEXP values.
fresnelC controls the reflectiveness when looking perpendicular at the surface;
fresnelMax controls the reflectiveness when looking parallel to the surface;
fresnelEXP controls the falloff curve.

You can add a shader replacement entry inside the ext_config.ini to alter these values in game for easy testing.
Ofcourse the nature of the textures has influence on the results. So if changing values doesn't work; change textures.

EDIT: Sorry, better late than never :D

Last edited:
For concrete guidance, most smooth transparent materials (glass, clearcoat paint, water) have a similar range of realistic values, which is roughly 0.05 fresnelC, 0.95 fresnelMax, 4.0 fresnelEXP. One confounding factor is that water's generally not smooth; to simulate roughness beyond what a normalmap provides, you'll want to bring fresnelMax downward to maybe 0.5-0.6.

Depending on the shader that's used, specularEXP also has an influence on reflections, with higher values making the reflections sharper. 500 is reasonable for glassy smooth, 80 for an orangepeely finish, 10 for nearer to matte, but these numbers only apply in some shaders.

Last edited:
I hope not to come across wrong but it's kind of related - CSP water becomes very bright just after sundown and before sunrise. Like a mirror that reflects light that is not in the sky. Can this be adjusted somehow?
Screenshot_corvette_c6.r_gt1_wicklow_m_5-2-121-16-33-8.jpg

Last edited:

Latest News

Back