How to open MAS files (looking for engine.ini files)

I've downloaded some F1 mods (some for RF1, some for AMS1) and am trying to view and edit the engine.ini files because I'm curious on how the different cars' engines (eg. Ferrari, Renault, Mercedes, etc,) have their engine powerbands created but only one of the mods has engine.ini files. The other mods mysteriously have no engine.ini files so I'm guessing they've been hidden in the MAS file which I need to extract.

IF anyone's curious, the mods are:
F1 1998 GPTeam
F1 1999 v1.1 WCP (the only mod listed that has engine.ini files)
F1 2000 v1.1 RVR
F1 2001 v2.1 RMT
F1 2002 v0.2 Beta Public
F1 2002 VS v1.0
Orange Arrows A23
McLaren MP4-20

How do I open the MAS files so I can see the individual files inside? Strangely, I couldn't find anything using a web-search besides a few RF2 links.

You use the mas utility, that is part of the rFToolsPublic package. It used to be hosted my ISI, back in the day. I have seen it listed on various sites that have mods.

You might want to have a look in the HVD file, find out what file it is pointing to. It is here:
[ENGINE]
Normal=
RestrictorPlate=

You use the mas utility, that is part of the rFToolsPublic package. It used to be hosted my ISI, back in the day. I have seen it listed on various sites that have mods.

You might want to have a look in the HVD file, find out what file it is pointing to. It is here:
[ENGINE]
Normal=
RestrictorPlate=
I noticed almost all of those F1 mods I listed have just one engine file each - listed in the folder before the individual teams' folders. I guess all the cars point there via the HDV file. Does that mean all cars use the exact same engine? Or is there some sort of multiplier that's used so teams have different power?

I noticed almost all of those F1 mods I listed have just one engine file each - listed in the folder before the individual teams' folders. I guess all the cars point there via the HDV file. Does that mean all cars use the exact same engine? Or is there some sort of multiplier that's used so teams have different power?

Yeah, pretty common for league mods to use standard engines, so no cars have an advantage. If not, everyone would drive the Ferrari or McLaren, or whatever the top car was that year. If the cars have different HVDs, you can use a multiplier in the engine section of the HDV to modify the power.

[ENGINE]
SpeedLimiter=1 // Whether a pitlane speed limiter is available
Normal= // unrestricted engine
RestrictorPlate= // restrictor plate engine
GeneralPowerMult*=0.95 //horsepower reduction
GeneralTorqueMult*=0.95 //torque reduction

Those two settings would reduce the power and torque by 5%. It is a multiple, so you can increase it the same way, this would give a 10% bump in power.

GeneralPowerMult*=1.1

Latest News

What is your next sim related purchase

• DLC

Votes: 119 27.2%
  • Full game

Votes: 101 23.1%
  • CPU

Votes: 54 12.4%
  • Graphics card

Votes: 80 18.3%
  • Other PC related hardware