How interesting is Open worlds

How interesting is Open worlds

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .
From my personal gaming history. As soon as a non-OW title became open world... not for me.

An example that comes to mind is the Burnout series I loved until Paradise. Also hate the driving to a mission crap from the later NFS' & FH's. At least with GTA, it has been part of the game since the awesome O.G. Grand Theft Auto.

But.... if it's just one or more large maps (with traffic) like BeamNG, I'm all for it.

Last edited:
I think it really depends on what we "understand" by "Open World".

As @THK84 already pointed out, "if it is like BeamNG".. an open world could be like nowadays Ubisoft games right, where you go from one Quest to the other and do something within that world.
Or it could be, more classic in a away if we look at the original AC, "just" be a fre roam map with a road network, maybe some traffic but no actual gameplay/gamification. A sandbox for the player to just drive around and do something.

I would actually love to see something with at least a bit of gamification/gameplay. Yeah I know, kinda takes it away from classic simracing, but wouldn´t it be great to have something to do in between races that isn´t "the same old"? For example, let me deliver super special rare cars from one shop at the nuerburgring to the other. But without damaging it, getting speed tickets etc.

Might sound boring but I do that from time to time in reallife here and thats actually quite cool haha (photo attached because this one was a super rare occasion for me!)

WhatsApp Image 2024-09-28 at 13.51.34.jpeg
I still want the classic racing, proper grids and all. I just think it would be nice to, besides pure free roam without any "purpose" to have some challenges to unwind that aren´t the usual "be the fastest".

I don´t think we will get Forza Hoizon-ish, but a free roam map is what I can see being the case here.
Maybe they even add some gameplay into it, that would be cool for sure.

Don't care. Only care about racing. If I want open world and driving slowly, I get in my actual car.
Open world or free roam does not really mean you have to drive slow?
Depending on how it is set up, there could be some racing done in free roam. Just not on a regular track.

I'm a huge fan of open world, but I kind of keep it in a box away from my hardcore self, mostly to avoid inner conflict :D
Massive fan of the Horizons, chill out on the couch with gamepad and run over cactus and stone walls, what's not to love!
Now if there ends up being new titles with hardcore physics and an open world experience (in VR), I might have to organize an MMA match with myself, if you know what I mean ;)

interesting point, what do you mean with distractions? And what does it distract you from?
When I last played Forza Horizon. I pick an objective (do that race over by the lake), and I drive there. On my way I pass a stadium with lights in side of it, and I'm instantly tempted to investigate. 1/2 hour later, I leave the stadium after realizing that the race inside of it is for DLC I don't have, but I did spend time trying to master drifting on the soccer field...

Now I'm feeling a little tired and want to quit playing. So I spent the good part of an hour driving and goofing off in a stadium, while not accomplishing what I wanted to do.

Latest News

Back