Has anyone tried the Pimax 5K Super?

I am considering this VR headset to replace my Oculus Rift S. I have read its specs and I am interested in the fact that if features an amazing FOV (which I need for better inmersion and sense of speed), good refresh rates and a medium resolution (which is not a bad idea if I want to keep a high framerate with high level of detail in my games without having to worry too much about the graphic configuration). I will be using it mainly with Assetto Corsa. However, since I also enjoy other non-sim-racing games, I would have to buy the stations and the controllers (are they very expensive?). In summary, anyone here who has tested this VR with sim-racing games and especially with Assetto Corsa? My current setup is 10700KF + 1080Ti + 32 gb, but I will be upgrading to a 3080 as soon as I can.

Last edited:
Finally I purchased the Pimax headset some days ago. So, here's my attempt to write a review. Sorry for my terrible English.

The model I've bought is the 5K+, and older model, which is basically the same as the Super, but without the highest refresh rate mode and with an elastic strap instead of the rigid one. Actually, the basic and simple rubber strap was one of the reasons I decided to choose this model, because wearing my own headphones was important for me and that's almost impossible with the Super.

Another reason was that that Super is sold new for almost 800€ (the cheapest price I found in my country), and I had the chance to get the 5K+ for 400€, used but sold by a store and with 1 year warranty. To my surprise, the unit I purchased was exactly like new, smelling new, looking new, everything packaged, everything original. Very happy in this sense.

The headset is a bit bulky but not extremely heavy. Once you find the right tension of the rubber strap, it stays on your head without issues and it feels reasonably comfortable. It covers well my face, although it's definitely not made for small heads. My only gripe is with the nose, but adding a bit of padding there has solved the problem. My Sennheiser HD 25 Light fit perfectly and the sound from the jack port on the headset is good.

No problems at all with the installation and configuration. There's one cable, which has the display port, USB and power connector. I installed the Pitool software (nice software with lots of configuration options) and, after a couple of attempts, the headset was found and working, as well as my 3 Valve base stations for the tracking, which I ordered separately. I still don't have any controllers (I have ordered the Swords by Pimax) so I have not been able to play most of my games. I was worried about the compatibility but they seem to run fine. Assetto Corsa works well, with SteamVR. The performance with my old 1080Ti was bad, but after some modifications to the SteamVR settings file I can get 90 fps, which is quite impressive. I have finally chosen 200º of FOV (absolutely awesome and immersive) at 90 hz. Unfortunately, that mode cannot be run at 120 hz. It feels quite smooth though.

As regard the display, it's almost the same perceived resolution as with the Rift S. The screen door effect is a bit noticeable in the distance, but not on closer objects, which is odd. No problem with distortions or blurry image on the sides as they are hard to notice. The sweet spot is also a bit irregular, which means that some zones are sharper than others, and not necessarily on the centre (this may indicate further IPD and offset adjustments are necessary). The colours are fine and the blacks are not bad, quite similar to my Rift S again. When I had my controllers I will be able to follow some tutorials about IPD and offset tweaking so I'm sure I will be able to improve the picture quality. I will also try different supersampling values, which should improve sharpness and details. Considering the performance I have now, a 3080 will be more than enough to handle high values of supersampling.

In summary, I’m happy with this Pimax 5K+. When in the future I have a 4090 or a 5090 or whatever, I will not hesitate to buy the 12K or any new model Pimax releases with innovations and improvements. Anyway, there’s one thing I know for sure: the 200º of FOV is now my "sine qua non" condition for virtual reality.

Latest News

Back