GT5 GT5 Connection problems - Help please

Hi All,

Sorry for the cry for help but am getting a bit frustrated with my online experience of GT5.

I have only started playing it online since Saturday, coincidentally straight after installing the latest patch. The performance on Saturday was rubbish, taking forever to traverse menus and freezing completely in some. The online gaming would not work at all. I gave up and played F12010 online instead which was completely fine.

Monday night I tried GT5 again and this time it worked great. Menus took a little longer to get into than when offline but still more than acceptable and a great experience - online play really is fantastic.

Then last night... horrendous performance again.

- Initial start up time now taking minutes
- traversing menus takes minutes. Going into options, coming back out, entering GT Mode, entering open lobby.
- once in open lobby at least 5 minutes to refresh the game rooms
- when finally able to select a session, stalling for minutes again and being given following message 'you have been disconnected from the server'.
- if i try to log into playstation network from within GT5 was getting following error message 'error 80710d23, a connection to the server could not be established'.

Not sure what is going on as internet connection is fine, always at least 5 megs. Game works perfectly if I don't sign in to PS network - if I do that's when probs occur. This suggests the issue lies with PS network but F12010 works absolutely fine.

Can anyone offer any advice? Is there a helpline I can call?

Gutted as finally discovered GT5 in it's best form and can't play it.

Any help greatly appreciated.

cheers all!

It's not PSN, it's the GT5 servers. No matter what you're doing the game is always communicating with them while you are signed in. If they're busy, having issues, are down for maintenance, or there's a communication problem between you and them (ie, your connection) then it'll affect your game. Since you're not having issues with other games, I would suggest the problem is on their end.

By the way, what country are you in? PD have regional servers, so a problem for you might indicate a problem for others too.

London, England.

Thanks for your input but not sure if you're right. Haven't heard anyone else complaining. If it were regional or general GT5 server issues I would have thought more people would be highlighting this seeing as it was completely unplayable.

I'd like to think it is just the GT5 servers but if that's the case thats 2 days out of the 3 I have tried to play it that it's been unplayable which does not bode well.

Yeah, I'm in the UK myself and have had no issues like the ones you are describing. (touch wood) So if their servers are ok, then it must be either your connection, your router, or your PS3. Seems odd though, since you're not having issues with other games. I know some people's 'problems' have been resolved simply by restarting their router... about the only thing I can think to suggest at this point. :frown:

This is info from the GT5P FAQ, though its likely that GT5 and other games are the same.

TCP Ports: 80, 443, 5223, and 10070 - 10080

UDP Ports: 3478, 3479, 3658, 10070, and 50100

But if port forwarding was the problem, surely that would prevent you from connecting at all, not boot you out after some time?

No that is not true Ross. Port Forwarding allows nodes outside of your network (the internet) to send packets directly to nodes on your private network through a specific port. Decreasing the amount of time it takes for the packets to be received.

Without port forwarding the packets have to go through a NAT server which has to re-packtize the data so it can be sent to your router or modem and then directed to a specific node on your private network.

I would not forward 80, 443 or 5223 to your PS3, that may cause problems for other people on your network who are trying to do different things at the same time.

I am no expert though, so I could be wrong about any of this. But port forwarding will not prevent you from connecting at all, otherwise we would not be able to connect to anything on the internet without port forwarding.

But port forwarding will not prevent you from connecting at all, otherwise we would not be able to connect to anything on the internet without port forwarding.

Lol... I meant if the ports were not forwarded, then wouldn't that prevent you connecting at all. Obviously not though, now that you've explained what port forwarding actually does. Thanks for that, by the way... you learn something new every day! :)

Glad to hear you've solved the problem BG.

Latest News

Back