Great first impression

Douglas Aird

Douglas Aird
Premium
I installed AMS2 today, tried a couple of cars and tracks before settling on a quick race around Donington in the Lancer.

I remember the Lancer from AMS and it liked to get it's tail out but I could never quite fully control it.

Tonight, though, I was smiling as I drifted around corners and raced side by side with the ai through the Craner Curves.

I can't remember in any other sim I have played how natural it felt to control the car through the corners with throttle and steering combined. The only issue was that the brakes felt really "fierce" and I had to be gentle with the pedal to avoid lockups. Not sure if I need to make a setup adjustment to fix that.

I am looking forward to many more laps in the Lancer and other cars.

• Deleted member 875593

From my side its fun to a certain point.
And i know there will be a bounty out on me for telling my thoughts, but anyway....:cautious:
Accelerating is great. And then.... it goes to braking and the absolut absence of any feeling for the brakes. (CSW 2.5, V3 Pedals with load cell)
I simply get no feedback in the sense of braking and lockups through wheel behaviour or pedal rumble. Folks in the forums talk about lowering the brake pressure. But that just affect the point of the lockup, not the feeling (FFB) while braking/locking up.
I tried different FFB settings, which were noticable in game but got me no brake feeling.

And i often think it´s too easy to throw a 1200hp turbo monster over the tarmac like that. Full accel. over curbs, two wheels on the green while flooring the pedal in 4th gear seems strange. At least to me, the rest of the customers seem happy.
I have short bursts of fun with AMS2. But after starting Rf2 up and recognizing its shortcomings (UI etc.) i see it´s simply on top in terms of Physics/Driving/FFB.
MY opinion.;)

But that just affect the point of the lockup, not the feeling (FFB) while braking/locking up. I tried different FFB settings, which were noticable in game but got me no brake feeling.
Out of interest, what wheel are you using?

There is a FFB effect which communicates scrubbing tyres and locking the wheels, but some (including me) find it very hard to find settings which allow it to come through properly. This is complicated by the fact that it's tied to the FX slider along with other forces, so raising it to try and make the scrub/lock more noticeable also makes those other forces stronger.

• Deleted member 875593

It was exactly you i read in the forums. When the new FFB came out, you mentioned a FFB mod of you, if i remember correctly.
I´m using a CSW 2.5 with V3 Pedals, load cell. Like said, i tried with all the sliders. I added FX, nothing. Changed LFB, Gain, tried old and new profile. The feel of the wheel stays just strange while braking. Like on wet cobblestone. I dont really feel how far i´m pushing the grip. Also changing different settings on the wheelbase itself didn´t do anything noticable.
Sorry, i got no natural english tongue so my wording maybe is insufficient.

It was exactly you i read in the forums. When the new FFB came out, you mentioned a FFB mod of you, if i remember correctly.
I´m using a CSW 2.5 with V3 Pedals, load cell. Like said, i tried with all the sliders. I added FX, nothing. Changed LFB, Gain, tried old and new profile. The feel of the wheel stays just strange while braking. Like on wet cobblestone. I dont really feel how far i´m pushing the grip. Also changing different settings on the wheelbase itself didn´t do anything noticable.
I have the exact same setup as you and after weeks of trial and error, multiple configurations and basically going round in circles I ended up settling with in-game FFB set to 76/50/50 on the new FFB default. Any other configuration of LFB and FX resulted in losing road feel when driving in a straight line and that also includes brake feel.
Granted, some cars feel better than others but I certainly get good brake feel in a lot of them now.

My wheel settings are
Sen - Auto
FF - 100
SHO - 100
ABS - 75
DRI - -2
FOR - 100
SPR - 0 (N/A)
DPR - 0 (N/A)
FEI - 50

Hope this helps :)

• Deleted member 875593

The fanatec-settings are almost mine except for abs. Does your pedal rumble while locking up?
I will fire it up right away for a test...
Thank you!

Don't apologise, your English is perfectly fine! :thumbsup:

Ah, it probably was me that mentioned a mod yes. You can find it here. Essentially it removes the engine vibrations which are also on the FX slider, and can mask some of the other effects. The issue isn't as bad as it was before as Reiza have lowered the level of engine vibration themselves. Might be worth a try though, as it may still allow you to set the FX slider a bit higher. Combined with Gordie's setting it might help you get a bit of braking feel.

The rumble is very faint and tbh not something that bothers me. I believe this needs to be set correctly on the wheel with ABS but haven't experimented with it to any great extent. The in-game settings are more key (in my opinion) to get the feel through the wheel.

• Deleted member 875593

That was better... but 76 gain was too heavy for me, i turned everything exactly to 50. That was quite acceptable, and there was a slightly better brake feel. But not to the limit.
So i have to anticipate the tire limit somehow by visual speed and sound. At least it feels like that. The wheel tells me too few. I cant get anywhere near my "zone", means braking at the limit, especally at middle / lower speeds. And i dont think it has to do with brake pressure or sensitivity (tried that, too), i need a feedback for what my wheels are doing on the ground.

That was better... but 76 gain was too heavy for me, i turned everything exactly to 50. That was quite acceptable, and there was a slightly better brake feel. But not to the limit.
So i have to anticipate the tire limit somehow by visual speed and sound. At least it feels like that. The wheel tells me too few. I cant get anywhere near my "zone", means braking at the limit, especally at middle / lower speeds. And i dont think it has to do with brake pressure or sensitivity (tried that, too), i need a feedback for what my wheels are doing on the ground.
I know exactly what you mean as I find it myself. There's no significant, additional opposing force felt when braking on entry or mid corner, some cars are better than others, generally I find most of the heavier cars to be better which is understandable.
I also agree that it's not anything to do with brake setup or sensitivity. I feel there's something lacking from a load perspective, the same issue I believe is felt when driving in a straight line, there's very little road feel until the tyres are loaded up with lateral movement, even very slight.
I thought I'd gotten over this issue but it's becoming difficult to ignore.

• Deleted member 875593

Exactly, just had a run with RF2 and realized immediatly the same: I feel load on the tires. And this is missing in AMS2, for me at least.

Latest News

What is your next sim related purchase

• DLC

Votes: 127 27.9%
  • Full game

Votes: 108 23.7%
  • CPU

Votes: 55 12.1%
  • Graphics card

Votes: 83 18.2%
  • Other PC related hardware

Votes: 51 11.2%