Formula One: Norbert Haug to leave Mercedes

After more than 20 years working as head of Mercedes-Benz Motorsport Norbert Haug will conclude his career at the end of 2012. His contract will come to an end by mutual agreement with the management of Mercedes Benz.

Norbert Haug has led motorsports activities for Mercedes-Benz since 1990 and since then Mercedes-Benz and the teams it supplied with engines won six Formula One titles and took 87 Formula One victories. In the German Touring Car series (DTM) Mercedes-Benz and their numerous teams won a total of 32 titles since 1992. After winning their first title in 1992 Mercedes-Benz has won 54% of all DTM races and about 60% of all DTM titles overall. Since 1990 Mercedes-Benz competed in 986 races (Formula One, Champ Car, GT, Group C, Formula 3) and won an impressive 439 of them, more than 45%.

Norbert Haug on him leaving Mercedes-Benz:
I would like to thank the best car company in the world for more than 22 years, which never had a single moment without passion for me. I particularly wish to thank the Board for the trust and freedom they have always given me with all my activities. Since 1991, we had tremendous achievements and wins, for which I want to thank all of my colleagues. Unfortunately, with one victory in 2012 since founding our own Formula One works team in 2010, we couldn’t fulfil our own expectations. However, we have taken the right steps to be successful in the future. Our team and our drivers will do everything to achieve these goals.​

Dieter Zetsche, head of Mercedes-Benz Cars & CEO of Daimler, about Norbert Haug:
Norbert Haug was the face of the Mercedes-Benz Motorsport programme for more than 20 years. For me, he put his stamp on a whole era and, as a highlight, he was responsible for the successful comeback of the Silver Arrows to Formula One. In the name of the Board of Management and the whole motorsport family, I would like to thank Norbert for his extraordinary commitment to the three-pointed star.​

See you “soon” for the 2013 Formula One Australian Grand Prix and in the mean time there is enough to talk about to keep you warm during the winter months in our ongoing debates in the F1 Forums.

[source & picture: Mercedes AMG F1]
View the Post on the Blog

Latest News

Back