Driver Ai Question, acting so different in different cars.

Hi everyone, my question is about the Ai and how it can drive / act so differently in different cars.

Does someone have a good understanding of the Ai and can give me an explanation with what im seeing in my results.

What stands out to me the most is how competent the Ai is using RSS formula 1 cars (mods), vs other cars. I drive race weekends and keep track of stats in a spreadsheet of the results, basically running my own custom fictional seasons this way. I will list below some interesting stats.

*RSS 90 : (16 Car Grid) 109 laps / 6 Races / 1 Ai Retirement / Laps Per Ret 109
VRC - MP4 : (14 car grid) 483 Laps / 27 races / 67 Ai retirements / Laps Per Ret 7.20
RSS 86 : (14 car Grid) 460 Laps / 27 races / 15 Ai Retirements / Laps Per Ret 30.66
Kunos 98T : (14 car Grid) 384 Laps / 24 Races / 23 Retirements / Laps Per Ret 16.69
ASR Ferrari 126 : (14 Car Grid) 260 Laps / 16 Races / 21 Retirements / Laps Per Ret 12.38
RSS 79 : (14 Car Grid) 444 Laps / 28 Races / 20 Retirements / Laps Per Ret 22.2
Kunos Ferrari 312T : (12 Car Grid) 444 Laps / 28 Races / 29 Retirements / Laps Per Ret 15.31
Kunos Lotus 72 : (10-12 Car Grid) 377 Laps / 26 Races / 24 Retirements / Laps Per Ret 15.70
Kunos Lotus 49 : (10 Car Grid) 264 Laps / 18 Races / 20 Retirements / Laps Per Ret 13.20

*Note* the RSS 90 is the car im currently driving and racing with, so data points aren't sufficient enough however the early trend shows the Ai is immensely capable and safe with this car.

I do understand there are multiple factors that can inflate the number of retirements. For example I would race at Hockenhiem 88, and that was a circuit that often would have 2 to 4 retirements in the race. Some might also point out driver aggression. I use an average of 80 for the drivers. A few as high as 90 and a few as low as 70, so with the others it balances out to 80. An extra note, with the VRC mp4 as i raced i continued to lower the avg aggression, from 80 to 70 to 60. How ever driver retirements actually stayed consistent. The 9 races at 80 aggression actually caused the fewest incidents at 20 in total.

From the data points the Kunos cars all generate the same number of incidents and i will say while racing i occasionally see them lock up, make a mistake or make contact. The VRC and ASR cars the Ai struggled with immensely, locking up frequently, touching wheels, or even simply losing the rear of the car and skidding off the track. The RSS cars however the Ai are extremely prudent, I dont think ive noticed a single lockup yet while racing the RSS 90, and i do remember being surprised by how controlled the Ai is with the RSS 86. They would slide the rear occasionally getting on the power, but never lost it completely, never locked up, never touched wheels.

So does anyone have an answer? What is it that makes the Ai seemingly drive and act so differently from one car or mod to the next? Is it something to do with the cars weight? I haven't figured it out, but I would love the insight. I'd like to see numbers closer to that of the Kunos cars. 15 or so laps per retirement. Cars locking up or touching wheels rarely but occasionally. The VRC Mp4 on the opposite argument I found frustrating to have races with as even with lowering driver aggression the Ai was still incapable of driving that car safely haha. I dont want an incident every 7 laps and to see 2 to 4 cars retired every race.

Thanks anyone who read the entire post and offers some advice and help.

The AI is defined and configured for each and every car by several editable parameters and it's poorly documented. Also, for each and every track, there are configurable "lines" that the AI uses to figure out how and where to drive.

Properly configuring the AI is no easy task and is very time demanding and even then, for a single car, that AI config can and will vary from track to track.

If you are unhappy with one or other car's AI behavior, you can open the AI app in-game and fix it, then you can share it so others can also benefit.

Last edited:
The AI is defined and configured for each and every car by several editable parameters and it's poorly documented. Also, for each and every track, there are configurable "lines" that the AI uses to figure out how and where to drive.

Properly configuring the AI is no easy task and is very time demanding and even then, for a single car, that AI config can and will vary from track to track.

If you are unhappy with one or other car's AI behavior, you can open the AI app in-game and fix it, then you can share it so others can also benefit.
Thanks for the reply. I was aware of racing lines that could be configured from track to track.

I did not know of a Ai App in game or in CM that could modify Ai behavior as well. At the moment i cant find anything like that. I can see ways to modify the car itself, using some data files. Im still looking for Ai behavior and not car parameters. If i do make meaningful progress I'll post my results in a reply.

Last edited:
I haven't watched the video that I'm pasting here, but this is the AI app that I'm talking about.

There is a short cut to give your current car to AI control, and then you can use the app to tune the AI.

Last edited:

Latest News

What is your next sim related purchase

• DLC

Votes: 176 25.0%
  • Full game

Votes: 178 25.3%
  • CPU

Votes: 83 11.8%
  • Graphics card

Votes: 123 17.5%
  • Other PC related hardware