CPU upgrade advice

Hello everyone
I use ACC with VR (Pimax and SteamVR), do you think it is worthwhile to change my Ryzen 3900XT CPU to a Ryzen 5800X3D?

How much and where could I gain?

This is my spec:
- MSI X570 MEG UNIFY + Ryzen 3900XT + 16GB DDR4 3600 + Sabrent M2 1TB
- AMD RADEON 6900XT + Pimax 5K Plus
- MOZA R9 + GS - ELITE LC PEDALS

You are always going to be GPU limited in ACC/VR (and VR in general) so If you run high settings then the 5800X3D simply won't be able to stretch it's legs and the performance increase will be negligible. At medium/low/ultra low you might see an improvement because it will take some load of the GPU - but it won't be stellar. Probably ~10% depending on settings. The 5800X3D does help with frame pacing though so despite not getting much FPS increase the experience could be smoother.

If you are also running pancake games, older sims or lower resolution in VR then the X3D does offer a worthwhile advantage but purely for VR in ACC i'm not sure it would be worth it....unless you have the cash burning a hole in your pocket or plan on upgrading to a 4090 in the future.

Last edited:
Sarai sempre limitato dalla GPU in ACC/VR (e VR in generale), quindi se esegui impostazioni elevate, il 5800X3D semplicemente non sarà in grado di allungare le gambe e l'aumento delle prestazioni sarà trascurabile. A medio/basso/ultra basso potresti vedere un miglioramento perché ci vorrà un po' di carico della GPU, ma non sarà eccezionale. Probabilmente ~10% a seconda delle impostazioni. Il 5800X3D aiuta con il frame pacing, quindi, nonostante non ottenga molto aumento degli FPS, l'esperienza potrebbe essere più fluida.

Se stai utilizzando anche giochi di pancake, sim più vecchi o una risoluzione inferiore in VR, l'X3D offre un vantaggio utile ma esclusivamente per VR in ACC non sono sicuro che ne varrebbe la pena ... a meno che tu non abbia i soldi che bruciano un un buco in tasca o pianifica di passare a un 4090 in futuro.
all clear... thanks!!!!

Hello everyone
I use ACC with VR (Pimax and SteamVR), do you think it is worthwhile to change my Ryzen 3900XT CPU to a Ryzen 5800X3D?

This is my spec:
ACC is one of the games that takes huge advantage of the X3D's cache.

Go to 3:12

If the 5800X3D destroys the 5800X non-3D, I can't even imagine what it would do to a 3000-series chip.

If I remember correctly, the 6900XT is around the speed of an RTX 3080 Ti / 3090? Yes? If so, you could always sell it and buy a 4090. If you don't want to go that route for whatever reason (money, availability, Nvidia price gouging, etc.) then I would definitely throw a 5800X3D in there ASAP. After that, you'll probably be set for years (besides GPU updates).

Frame Chasers has 2 other vids showing the 5800X3D being faster in ACC than both a max CPU & RAM overclocked Intel 12900K and AMD 7950X. Insane.

Last edited:
ACC is one of the games that takes huge advantage of the X3D's cache.

Go to 3:12

If the 5800X3D destroys the 5800X non-3D, I can't even imagine what it would do to a 3000-series chip.

If I remember correctly, the 6900XT is around the speed of an RTX 3080 Ti / 3090? Yes? If so, you could always sell it and buy a 4090. If you don't want to go that route for whatever reason (money, availability, Nvidia price gouging, etc.) then I would definitely throw a 5800X3D in there ASAP. After that, you'll probably be set for years (besides GPU updates).

Frame Chasers has 2 other vids showing the 5800X3D being faster in ACC than both a max CPU & RAM overclocked Intel 12900K and AMD 7950X. Insane.
Thanks Spinelli.... yes, 6900XT is similar 3090. At this moment i don't change my GPU because the price of 4090 is very very too high much for me but in future i will change my 6900xt.

Thanks Spinelli.... yes, 6900XT is similar 3090. At this moment i don't change my GPU because the price of 4090 is very very too high much for me but in future i will change my 6900xt.
I would seriously look into getting a used 5800X3D. I've seen used ones sell for $275 USD. After that, you'll be set for years. Then, just buy a used 4080 or 4090 in a few months when the prices are lower and more used ones start appearing.

Last edited:
I would seriously look into getting a used 5800X3D. I've seen used ones sell for $275 USD. After that, you'll be set for years. Then, just buy a used 4080 or 4090 in a few months when the prices are lower and more used ones start appearing.
good idea... thanks!!!

Hello everyone

This is my spec:
Take a look at purepc.pl and hardware unboxed (techspot is the written site).
Also there's a little thread where 3 of us RD users compared the 10600k, 5800x3D and 7700x.

The gains should be substantial with the 5800x3D being a drop-in upgrade and therefore by far the best value!

FPS comparison for AC:
10600k:
Average framerate : 119.6 FPS
1% low framerate : 75.0 FPS

7700x:
Average framerate : 226.5 FPS
1% low framerate : 150.3 FPS

5800x3D:
Average framerate : 230 FPS
1% low framerate : 155 FPS

In that thread you can find a few other tests too and in the first posts I summarized the ACC runs from hwub and purepc.pl.
Sadly, hwub only uses medium settings and purepc the most extreme settings possible.
ACC scales very differently in these situations and while you can find acc tests with "normal" settings in our RD thread for the 7700x and 10600k, the guy with the 5800x3D doesn't have acc.

But it should be enough data overall for you to decide.
5800x3D is the cpu for now for you!

Intel makes zero sense since VR racers can never have enough cpu headroom and only AMD has the drop-in cpu upgrade possibility for the next 5 years or so.

So if you don't want to spend the money for the 5800x3D because it won't have enough performance for you in 6-18 months, the only other route to go would be a B650 motherboard, ddr5 5600 (cl40 or lower) and the 7600X.

And then replace the 7600x when the 7800X3D arrives/drops enough in price or the 8600X shows good results.

I am now also puzzled by the search for a CPU to replace the 5600x for reverb g2. Google responds to such requests that the CPU for VR needs to be selected based on performance in a single stream. None of the tips sounded 5800x3d (although one of the best CPUs for games). That's what I think. In the future I want to put 4090

I am now also puzzled by the search for a CPU to replace the 5600x for reverb g2. Google responds to such requests that the CPU for VR needs to be selected based on performance in a single stream. None of the tips sounded 5800x3d (although one of the best CPUs for games). That's what I think. In the future I want to put 4090
The issue here is that there are no single thread benchmarks that make use of increased cache size.
It's not about VR btw regarding importance of the single thread performance.
It's about all simracing titles apart from pcars2 and ams2 are only 1-3 cpu threads so after you get 5 cores, you don't gain any fps from more cores.

I tested this by disabling hyperhreading and one core after another on my 10600k (6 cores, 12 threads).
Since there are only 6 cores CPUs nowadays, for the best price to performance ratio you need the 6 cores cpu with the highest single thread performance.

So in theory a 5600x3D would be the best cpu but AMD only made the 8 cores cpu with the 3D cache.

Simracing titles can often make use of bigger cache, but not more cores.

So 7600x, 13600k and 5800x3D are the best price to performance CPUs for simracing right now.

Imagine it like you would have to put 2 nails into a wall.
Reeeaaallllyyy long nails!

You can make use of 4 hands and maybe have a 5th hand to bring you water, lol.
But having 12 people standing around won't give you any performance.

Higher GHz = faster hammering

Higher IPC = stronger hammering at the same hammering speed

More cache = something like a heavier hammer, giving it some extra oomph haha

took 5800X3D, I could increase SS from 160 to 170, mirror resolution, mirror distance, visible cars and more stability in general, all with OpenXR, PimaxXR and OpenComposite!!!
If I use steam I lose about 6-8 frames and increase VR times (from 11ms to 12-13ms).
A good gain now the bottleneck is the video card but I knew this from before...;)
however I am satisfied with the choice!!!:thumbsup:

Great choice going with the 5800X3D.

What's better? SteamVR, OpenXR, PimaxXR, or OpenComposite? Do they all automatically work with the same games or do some games only work with some? I'm pretty new to VR (Pimax 5K Super until the Pimax 12K comes out) and have always just used SteamVR. I'm confused with all these other VR programs, when to use which one, the pros & cons of each one, etc.

Last edited:
openXR, PimaxXR and OpenComposite are easy to manage, I get about 6-8 frames increase over SteamVR and more stability with few ms spikes (I am always around 89-90 FPS and 11ms).

OpenXR also has a lot of options within it (FSR, CAS, color management, resolution management, etc. etc.) and I have found settings that I like more than normal game. It doesn't work with all games though, I don't know if VR controllers work (e.g., for Half Life Alyx), and there is no software to be able to see the Desktop in VR (with SteamVR I use destop+ for free).
Switching from OpenXR to SteamVR is easy and with just a few clicks...

PS: i have a Pimax 5K+ ;)

Last edited:
openXR, PimaxXR and OpenComposite are easy to manage, I get about 6-8 frames increase over SteamVR and more stability with few ms spikes (I am always around 89-90 FPS and 11ms).

OpenXR also has a lot of options within it (FSR, CAS, color management, resolution management, etc. etc.) and I have found settings that I like more than normal game. It doesn't work with all games though, I don't know if VR controllers work (e.g., for Half Life Alyx), and there is no software to be able to see the Desktop in VR (with SteamVR I use destop+ for free).
Switching from OpenXR to SteamVR is easy and with just a few clicks...

PS: i have a Pimax 5K+ ;)
What about OpenComposite and PimaxXR?

PimaxXR is the software that manages VR with the OpenXR standard, OpenComposite is the software that hijacks VR from SteamVR to OpenXR.

One has to install OpenXR to get the libraries, PimaxXR to connect PiTools (which must be open) with OpenXR, and OpenComposite to divert the call to SteamVR to OpenXR.

OpenXR should only be installed, OpenComposite should only be used the first time while PiTools and PimaxXR should always be run.

To return to SteamVR you open OpenXR and disable (just 1 click on a switch) and open OpenComposite and switch to SteamVR; reboot and you use SteamVR.

I hope I answered your question, if not, please ask....;)

There are rumours now of an Intel 13th gen refresh coming out later on. Not the 13900KS but an actual refresh/upgrade of the existing 13th gen lineup. I guess it's to help fight AMD's 7000-series 3D chips:

hope I answered your question, if not, please ask....;)
Thanks. I'll try to watch vids and maybe ask in the VR thread for more info.

Last edited:
PimaxXR is the software that manages VR with the OpenXR standard, OpenComposite is the software that hijacks VR from SteamVR to OpenXR.

One has to install OpenXR to get the libraries, PimaxXR to connect PiTools (which must be open) with OpenXR, and OpenComposite to divert the call to SteamVR to OpenXR.

OpenXR should only be installed, OpenComposite should only be used the first time while PiTools and PimaxXR should always be run.

To return to SteamVR you open OpenXR and disable (just 1 click on a switch) and open OpenComposite and switch to SteamVR; reboot and you use SteamVR.

I hope I answered your question, if not, please ask....;)
Sorry to side-track thread (well its still related to higher fps, so...) - Is there a decent guide to installing openXR and openComposite. I looked into it and found it super confusing :redface:

Higher GHz = faster hammering

Higher IPC = stronger hammering at the same hammering speed

More cache = something like a heavier hammer, giving it some extra oomph haha
I love these analogies :thumbsup:

Sorry to side-track thread (well its still related to higher fps, so...) - Is there a decent guide to installing openXR and openComposite. I looked into it and found it super confusing :redface:

I love these analogies :thumbsup:
Download from this link OpenXR and install it:
after installation no other operations need

Download from this link PimaxXR and Install it:
Launch PimaxXR and select PimaxXR instead SteamVR
PimaxXR.png

Download from this link OpenComposite and Install it:
Launch OpenComposite and switch to OpenComposite
oc2.png

Pitools and PimaxXR are must running in any case to work instead OpenComposite e OpenXR may be closed...

Launch ACC in SteamVR mode, if it's all correct Assetto Corsa Competizione start in VR BUT SteamVR non start.
To return at SteamVR it's necessary launch OpenXR and disable it,
launch PimaxXR and switch to SteamVR and launch OpenComposite and switch to SteamVR.

In ACC you setting OpenXR by shortcut, a menu appear and it's so simple to use
openxr.png

In any case for all link there are a complete wiki to solve any problems...

Blimey - thats simplified A LOT since the last time I looked at it.

Many thanks
Wow, just Wow! I feel very late to the party, but Opencomposite gives me a really significant improvement in fps in VR. I'd absolutely recommend installing it before buying any new hardware upgrades. I've not fiddled with the OpenXR settings yet, but the fps beneficial effect of bypassing SteamVR with opencomposite is huge for me.

Apologies to all those (and presumably the OP) who know this already! Personally hadnt installed before because the last time I looked the installation and getting correct github source files seemed very complicated. Seemed much more straightforward this time around.

I'm on an i9/g2/3080 combo FYI

Last edited:

Latest News

Back