Changing Liveries

Does anyone know how to get quickbms to repack properly once liveries have been swapped? I can decrypt/extract the .bff files and then swap car liveries but I get an error reimporting.

"- signature of 4 bytes at offset 0x00000000 doesn't match the one
expected by the script:"

1584738758362.png

Last edited:
Does anyone know how to get quickbms to repack properly once liveries have been swapped?
Nope. Been messing with this myself before finding this thread. Looks like it'll need a new script for AMS 2, though whether the original author would be interested in providing one I don't know.

Damn.. so everything in the game is "packed" ? No "free" access to liveries, helmets and stuff like that ?
Nope, all in archives just like previous games using this engine.

Actually, the error you've posted is because you are doing things in the wrong order when attempting to re-inject. In GUI mode, you need to select the script, then the archive (bff), and then the folder containing the files to inject. I've just done this and it worked, but only in reinject2 mode. This resulted in a plain red skin for all cars in the class, which the game probably defaults to if it can't find the right textures. So yeah, looks like adding files to the end of the archive buggers them up entirely.

I'm going to try keeping the file size down to see if injecting a file slightly smaller than the original works, so that it can be injected in place instead.

RDSkin.jpg

Custom skins are possible. :cool:

Keep the filesize the same as or less than the original skin. Save as DXT1 with mipmaps. Re-import in place. Profit.

For reference, the original file size of this skin was 23mb, whereas the work of art you see above was just 10mb. So smaller filesizes work just fine. Larger will fail to inject and cannot be appended to the end of the archive without corrupting the whole thing.

Last edited:
View attachment 362511

Custom skins are possible. :cool:

Keep the filesize the same as or less than the original skin. Save as DXT1 with mipmaps. Re-inject in place. Profit.

For reference, the original file size of this skin was 23mb, whereas the work of art you see above was just 10mb. So smaller filesizes work just fine.

Excellent, now get to work on a Full Grid Pack of the real series please :D

Excellent, now get to work on a Full Grid Pack of the real series please :D
The funny thing is that I'm really not a skinner at all. I started looking into modifying something else entirely, got distracted by this along the way, and was overwhelmed with the urge to figure it out before doing anything else. :p My livery talents are nowhere near good enough to create anything worthwhile so I'll leave the real work to the experts. ;)

Sorry, wrong term... it's reimport, not reinject. QuickBMS comes with two injection batch files, reimport and reimport2. The latter will not work as adding anything to the end of the archive corrupts the whole thing. So use the former like so:

Keep the filesize the same as or less than the original skin. Save as DXT1 with mipmaps. Re-import in place. Profit.

So it seems that we can only replace skins, not add new ones. Livery mods will probably also break whenever a class or it's liveries are patched.

Can a Moderator or other tell me why I cannot access Ross' Skinning Guide?
You're not allowed to "reverse engineer" AMS 2. Or rather, you're not allowed to tell anyone how to. Try Google and you'll find what you're looking for very quickly.

Probably because it advertised using a Hacking Tool to open, extract and mess with the games files.
It's not a hacking tool, it's just an archive unpacker. Little different than WinRAR really.

Last edited:

Latest News

What is your next sim related purchase

• DLC

Votes: 176 25.1%
  • Full game

Votes: 178 25.4%
  • CPU

Votes: 83 11.9%
  • Graphics card

Votes: 122 17.4%
  • Other PC related hardware